George Evans at CB

jono

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans is decent, but is definitely only covering the position.

If Beilik was fit he'd probably play in defence instead, he played in defence a lot for the Arsenal youth team.

I think I would prefer Evans at CB in a 3 at the back formation instead of 4.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Some top rate analysis work here on Evans contribution against Norwich. 

Maybe he has found his best position. 

It was interesting, but the clip of Rooney no longer having the pace to get in front of his man was undermined by his run in the next clip.

He had the pace, simply didn't make the run.

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Some top rate analysis work here on Evans contribution against Norwich. 

Maybe he has found his best position. 

Think that video both highlights how Holmes has been a miss and how much off the ball movement he does to help open up teams.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Think that video both highlights how Holmes has been a miss and how much off the ball movement he does to help open up teams.

Probably right, easy to miss when watching games on TV in real time.

God I miss live football.

6 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Not an ideal situation having to rely on Davies for Evans shortcomings. 

Perhaps not.

Evans is 25, Keogh was 25 when we signed him.

Granted it's not an ideal comparison, but are there more mistakes in Evans' defending now than Keogh's when we signed him? Probably but not by far. Keogh turned into an excellent Championship defender (and still made mistakes) so perhaps Evans can too?

I'm sure Curtis bailed Keogh out (and vice versa) a fair few times under Rowett.

Despite 2 defensive errors, 1 trying to step up for offside & 2 the handball, I thought Evans was excellent in a back 3.

Love it. What absolute bananas. Ignores getting out jumped for the header for the goal (and another I cant remember). He's as much a centre half at this level as he is a midfielder. He's a bit of something and nothing. Like Roos his best place is the bench.

37 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Perhaps not.

Evans is 25, Keogh was 25 when we signed him.

Granted it's not an ideal comparison, but are there more mistakes in Evans' defending now than Keogh's when we signed him? Probably but not by far. Keogh turned into an excellent Championship defender (and still made mistakes) so perhaps Evans can too?

I'm sure Curtis bailed Keogh out (and vice versa) a fair few times under Rowett.

Don’t think Evans has enough in his locker to be a starter in defence or midfield if we want top 6. Yes Keogh had mistakes in him, but he was generally dominant in the air and loved to carry the ball forward, 2 things Evans doesn’t do. 

Handy to have in the bench but nothing more in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Don’t think Evans has enough in his locker to be a starter in defence or midfield if we want top 6. Yes Keogh had mistakes in him, but he was generally dominant in the air and loved to carry the ball forward, 2 things Evans doesn’t do. 

Handy to have in the bench but nothing more in my opinion. 

I don't think Keogh was dominant in the air until a few seasons in tbh, he struggled against strong target men quite often. I even remember him getting completely merked by a 37 year old  Emile Heskey when he was at Bolton!

I don't think Evans is incapable of bringing it out from the back, but as I said, I know the comparison was reaching somewhat ?

As I posted earlier in the thread, he is under-rated at centre back imo.

it’s wierd that some people expect  him to transition from midfield to centre back without an experienced player alongside to help him make the change. He first moved to centre back alongside keogh and did well. In a back three with Te Wierik and wisdom he was poor, because he has never played that role before. But back at centre back alongside Davies he played well again. It was no Coincidence that cocu referred to Communication on the pitch. 

Evans is strong, mobile, and can pass well. His weaknesses are his aerial ability, a lack of pace, and a lack of experience. Personally I think he’s the best of the available options to play alongside Davies or Clarke. 

wisdom is strong but gives away a lot of free kicks. He is not as comfortable on the ball, and I’m not sure that he is actually any better in the air. He is also very quiet. 

te wierik looks comfortable in possession, and has the experience, but he’s a sweeper not a centre half. He looks like he wants to drop off behind another centre half who attacks everything.

all things considered, I would say that Evans is an asset.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

As I posted earlier in the thread, he is under-rated at centre back imo.

it’s wierd that some people expect  him to transition from midfield to centre back without an experienced player alongside to help him make the change. He first moved to centre back alongside keogh and did well. In a back three with Te Wierik and wisdom he was poor, because he has never played that role before. But back at centre back alongside Davies he played well again. It was no Coincidence that cocu referred to Communication on the pitch. 

Evans is strong, mobile, and can pass well. His weaknesses are his aerial ability, a lack of pace, and a lack of experience. Personally I think he’s the best of the available options to play alongside Davies or Clarke. 

wisdom is strong but gives away a lot of free kicks. He is not as comfortable on the ball, and I’m not sure that he is actually any better in the air. He is also very quiet. 

te wierik looks comfortable in possession, and has the experience, but he’s a sweeper not a centre half. He looks like he wants to drop off behind another centre half who attacks everything.

all things considered, I would say that Evans is an asset.

Agree with this ...Evans is a good passer and has good vision ...when we play 3 at the back I think he’s ideal but not sure with 2 CB’s in a 4 but that’s not to say he couldn’t get better ...needs to play more to understand the difference when playing a 4 ...looks more assured at the mo compared to MTW 

Evans has been a good signing for us for peanuts and I think would get more consistent the more he plays there ...good post @RamNut ??

Really not sure why folk continue to bash George. His time with us has been very much stop-start and I still think he can show himself a decent player given a run of games and some confidence. At times he's shown he can be excellent at the heart of defence and I think he should be shown a little patience. He came to us for a small fee and won't be on big money either, so a chance worth taking IMO.

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Love it. What absolute bananas. Ignores getting out jumped for the header for the goal (and another I cant remember). He's as much a centre half at this level as he is a midfielder. He's a bit of something and nothing. Like Roos his best place is the bench.

1. What ''header for the goal''? Norwich didn't score... 

2. ''another I can't remember'' I cannot quite believe you're trying to criticise him and evidence it with nothing but your faulty memory, nothing like a good bit of substantiation eh ?

29 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I cannot quite believe you're trying to criticise him and evidence it with nothing but your faulty memory, nothing like a good bit of substantiation eh ?

I can't remember as much as I used to be able to. It's infuriating. In my minds eye I can see the passage of play where Evans was out-jumped for a header in the box and Davies couldn't get back. I don't give two hoots for your opinion. He's an average centre-half whose deficiencies are covered up somewhat when playing three across the back. I imagine you've never seen a decent centre-half play for Derby, although even you must have seen Keogh!

The real question is whether or not he's our new 'Gorgeous George'?

I was never really sure with the previous incarnation whether it was a bit of a piss-take or not, he always looked a bit dead behind they eyes, like a young Huddlestone. Or an old Huddlestone.

Evans though, I mean he's tall without being gangly, well built, broad chest and strong biceps, quite handsome, has a nice smile & lovely hair; he's very articulate & seems of good character, a nice guy.

Overall, just like on the pitch, a bit of an all-rounder?

GE.jpg

Archived