George Evans at CB

jono

50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't remember as much as I used to be able to. It's infuriating. In my minds eye I can see the passage of play where Evans was out-jumped for a header in the box and Davies couldn't get back. I don't give two hoots for your opinion. He's an average centre-half whose deficiencies are covered up somewhat when playing three across the back. I imagine you've never seen a decent centre-half play for Derby, although even you must have seen Keogh!

I didn't state an opinion, I just questioned how valid yours was when you can't even substantiate it properly?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I didn't state an opinion, I just questioned how valid yours was when you can't even substantiate it properly?

Well I know what I saw. I just can't remember the exact moment.

And as we're talking opinions then I'm sticking with he's an average centre-half, a bench warmer if we're looking for promotion. If we're staving off relegation then he'd do. ?

Tottenham and West Ham are interested in Swansea's Welsh centre-half Joe Rodon, 22, and could bid £18m before the EFL transfer deadline on 16 October.

I think he’s better than Rodon so the rewards are there if we can successfully develop Evans.

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I know what I saw. I just can't remember the exact moment.

And as we're talking opinions then I'm sticking with he's an average centre-half, a bench warmer if we're looking for promotion. If we're staving off relegation then he'd do. ?

For now

I think the main thing we've been lacking at the back since Keogh 'left' has been leadership/organisation - That was the big thing which Davies offered us on Saturday - And I wonder if it's something Evans can add longer term - He's obviously smart, knows how to play the DM role and stick to his position (which isn't easy for most young DMs who go flying off up the pitch) so I see no reason why he couldn't adapt to CB

We've been doing the same with Wisdom who is (slowly) starting to learn how to play CB (his positioning at times is still woeful and he stands off defenders too far like a fullback would) - Evans is younger and seems more adaptable

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

In my minds eye I can see the passage of play where Evans was out-jumped for a header in the box and Davies couldn't get back. I don't give two hoots for your opinion.

A header from a cross where the attacker was running onto it and had momentum and it was in fact Davies who made a meal of it by trying to backtrack to head it, rather than Evans go for it. Davies trying to go for it stopped Evans from going for it without giving himself concussion. 

Evans is a decent, modern day CB. Very good passer of the ball, decent enough in the air and good enough in the air. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Evans was out-jumped from behind and Davies did not stop him going for it.

Davies and Evan both went for the same ball. Hugill was running onto it and had full momentum, he was always going to win that header. 

Evans is a good centre back if your happy with midtable but he is not strong or dominant enough or fast enough to recover from mistakes to be a top centre back in this league. 

I would play Davies and Clarke in a 4 at the back and sign a better left back so our centre backs don't have to cover much. 

3 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I am not a big fan of modern day centre backs then.

All opinions at the end of the day, but times are changing and not many teams don't start attacks from defence. Gone are the days of defenders who head and boot the ball 60 yards down the pitch every time.

The reason Davies played so well on Saturday is because he was complimented by Evans and Clarke either side of him. Both Evans and Clarke are great passers and can bring the ball out of defence, doing all that work for Davies, who can't do it. That's why Davies was poor under Lampard and last season. We didn't play with 3 CB's with Davies, so he was constantly exposed for not being able to pass/carry the ball out of defence. He doesn't need to do that in a 3 CB defence, hence why he looked decent.

Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

Evans is a good centre back if your happy with midtable but he is not strong or dominant enough or fast enough to recover from mistakes to be a top centre back in this league. 

I would play Davies and Clarke in a 4 at the back and sign a better left back so our centre backs don't have to cover much. 

That's where you're going to completely ruin your defence. Davies is a 4, in a team that starts from the back and has slow build up play, will not work. In a 4, you're relying on Davies to be competent on the ball, he isn't. Put him in a 3 CB defence and have 2 decent passers either side, that's where you'll get the best out of Davies.

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Put him in a 3 CB defence and have 2 decent passers either side, that's where you'll get the best out of Davies.

So basically as neither Evans nor Davies is a good enough centreback to play in a four we have to play them both! ?

I really do think we should persevere with 3 at the back. Evans has the potential to be fantastic in that position. He deserves the chance to have a run of games. As things stand he is ahead of Te Weirik and Wisdom on merit. 

For those arguing we should switch to 433, I'd say that 353 and 433 are actually very similar formations. The key difference being that the DM drops deeper to be a sweeper, allowing the FBs to push up more freely. 

A fit Bielik would be the ideal sweeper in my view and would actually allow the team to switch between 433 and 353 at will throughout a game. I would not be surprised to see Cocu try this later in the season. 

44 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'd say that 353 and 433 are actually very similar formations

Can't be that similar, 353 has an extra player! 

Jokes aside, yeah they're relatively similar/interchangable, when defending, Bielik/middle CB/DM drops into a 3rd CB, but when attacking, they bring the ball out and slot into DM.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So basically as neither Evans nor Davies is a good enough centreback to play in a four we have to play them both!

I didn't say Evans is not good in a four, he has the attributes needed to work in a 4atb. He can receive the ball from Marshall and pass it out and he has enough pace. He did a few last ditch tackles last season which were really good. Davies can't run or pass competently. He gets exposed in a 4.

How people can slate Evans off is beyond me actually thought he's been our best Cb in the last couple of games! Davies got caught out a few times Saturday being out of position but Evan cleared up for him. Why can't some people just leave players alone and let them keep doing the job without having to moan about something/someone every week

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

How people can slate Evans off is beyond me actually thought he's been our best Cb in the last couple of games! Davies got caught out a few times Saturday being out of position but Evan cleared up for him. Why can't some people just leave players alone and let them keep doing the job without having to moan about something/someone every week

Some people have seen more great/good centre-halves play for Derby than some others have had hot dinners! Evans is an average centre half, a bench warmer for a team with top 6 ambitions. Is that us?

a bench warmer for a team with top 6 ambitions

Evans is a great squad player to have, can play CM, DM or CB. Low wages, doesn't kick up a fuss when he's not playing, fits in the side seamlessly when he comes back in. 

Some people have seen more great/good centre-halves play for Derby than some others have had hot dinners! Evans is an average centre half, a bench warmer for a team with top 6 ambitions. Is that us?

Yes im not saying he's the best just saying all our Cb have been poor so far and evans has probably been our best Cb so far this season! I'm not trying to make out he's igor or anything just don't see the point in mardy fans moaning about our players when other players have been worst then evans 

Archived