George Evans at CB

jono

Good to see george Evans on his way back to fitness. I was never sure about him as DM and now Bird has come through he has more than a fight on his hands for a place. But does anyone else remember when he stepped in as an emergency CB and did a good job. Positioned well and could play out from the back ? 
 Maybe not long term but we’ll worthy of consideration at this stage 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was at Bristol you are right

I thought he was excellent, in my memory though Tomori went off very early and the sending off was mid-way through the second half

I could be very wrong on that though ??

I may have rose coloured specs on around that whole game though as It was such an awesome game and atmosphere and meant a lot as it put us in the driving seat over them to reach the play offs 

38 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I thought he was excellent, in my memory though Tomori went off very early and the sending off was mid-way through the second half

I may have rose coloured specs on around that whole game though as It was such an awesome game and atmosphere and meant a lot as it put us in the driving seat over them to reach the play offs 

Brilliant day.

47 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Yes I was there also ( one of only two away league wins in 2019) yes early injury to Tomori and a fairly Early goal for Derby then fairly early in the second half their sub was sent off and Bogle sealed the win after good work from Bennett. 

Evans was played at centre half sometimes at Reading which wasn’t a success apparently but if needed to step in during a game no problem - long term what is his place in the team especially if Bird continues to do well and with the emergence of sibley and knight and Rooney for another season and a possible return of Belick from injury next season ( let’s assume Huddlestone leaves) 

he probably needs selling if he wants to play regularly unless we sell Bird for a huge fee fee in the summer ( premiership vultures ) 

28 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

It’s not rocket science play him in a 3 with Clarke and Wisdom.

So Bogle and Lowe can do what they are good at.

COCU IT MAKES SENSE so try it play people in there best positions this way we can cope with the loss of Holmes.

I love Curtis for his bravery, leadership and shot stopping / blocking but he doesn’t look comfortable with our play out from the back system. We aren’t going to be able to add a CB for some time - as in Mike Tiewerk (sorry about the spelling)   and even when we do Clarke will be on his way back so there is a shortage. Andre can do it, Fozzy as an emergency but if we are going to continue to play from the back we need the right type of player. 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He did ok away at Bristol city when he stepped in during the game but it was against 10 men so it is always easier in certain ways but should we consider him as a starter at centre half in the championship?- I hope not because he isn’t good enough 

How d’you know? 

4 hours ago, jono said:

Good to see george Evans on his way back to fitness. I was never sure about him as DM and now Bird has come through he has more than a fight on his hands for a place. But does anyone else remember when he stepped in as an emergency CB and did a good job. Positioned well and could play out from the back ? 

Yes, an interesting one. Bird has shown more in 6 weeks at DCM than Evans has in his entire Derby career - if you factor Shinnie in too, Evans would be a 3rd choice DCM as things stand. Evans always looked a bit lost at DCM if I'm honest - often very deep, his passing stats were quite poor for someone in that position (where you'd expect a lot of safe sideways balls) and he never showed for the ball as much as Bird does. Bird controls the tempo of the game, Evans looks like an auxiliary defender pushed slightly further forward.

I do think there's a CB in there though. Evans is good in the air, not bad positionally & he is comfortable on the ball. He has covered there a couple of times (most notably Bristol City away last yr) but it'd be good to give him an extended run there & see if we can solve our CB issues internally.

Nowhere near good enough as a midfield player. Hides unless he has a lot of time & space and just plays sidewards/backwards. Bird is the future in there and hope he plays Rooney alongside him with Knight further forward in his natural position while Holmes is out.

As a CB, Evans would have to be a backup option at best. Hardly any experience playing there in his career.

Evans has had his best games for Derby at CB, but he's also had times where he's looked unnatural. Although, I guess that's not an uncommon theme for a footballer contracted to Derby County. 

I don't think he really gets a chance in midfield anymore, so perhaps he should give it ago. He'll get better with experience. 

12 hours ago, jono said:

Yes I really think it would be worth giving GE a run of games in that position. This season we still have opportunities to experiment. Nothing at stake (points deduction not withstanding) 

I’m surprised he hasn’t really been tried there.

there was one game where I remember cocu directing Evans to go to centre back. May be someone got injured I can’t remember. So he knows that the option exists.

23 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think if George does get a run of games so that he's match fit and built a little confidence, he'll be having a lot of us eating humble pie. There's a decent player in there but his luck at Derby to date has been awful. Don't give up on him just yet though!

My thinking to. First game or two, thought we had a player, then injured, came back, looked at bit average, then had a couple of games at CB. Looked useful, competent and comfortable on the ball, then a couple of bland games but some occasional good passing, then injured .. a sort of stuttering cycle. Never got in to a rhythm. Don’t think he’s a super star but think there’s something good there given a chance, and the CB thing seems the most likely given Birds emergence. 

Archived