Agents

MaltRam

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agents get a bad rep, but they're obviously hired to do a job and the top ones make a lot of money. I can understand that a cap on their potential earning power would be a source of frustration, regardless of your job or earnings. I suppose it's their right to earn what they can, for as long as they can, whilst simultaneously getting the best deal for their client.

Clubs aren't forced to give them money, they're not holding a gun to their head, so I don't see why they should be capped. 

Players used to get screwed over by both clubs and managers and I don't blame them for having agents acting in their best interests. I'm sure there will be good and bad.

What I can never understand though is why clubs have agents - they should be able to look after themselves -  or why clubs have to pay agents when they sign or sell players. If the agent's job is to protect the player's interests then surely it's the player that should pay them not the club. If Fifa were to ban that relationship then I would suggest that's a good thing. At the moment agents play both ends and it's not a good thing.

As some have stated effectively some agents act like mafias - you pay me or I won’t let my player even talk or sign for you - I wonder how many good deals for the players have gone down the drain because of agents ? 

The clubs could all agree to turn round and tell agents that they won’t be getting anything of them so ask their players for money but they won’t 

maybe the premiership and EFL could turn around and say whatever you have paid to agents counts against your FFP not just X1 the amount but x20 the amount, which might get them ? thinking - then again maybe the EFL is waiting to introduce that five years after its relevant ! 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

As some have stated effectively some agents act like mafias - you pay me or I won’t let my player even talk or sign for you - I wonder how many good deals for the players have gone down the drain because of agents ? 

The clubs could all agree to turn round and tell agents that they won’t be getting anything of them so ask their players for money but they won’t 

maybe the premiership and EFL could turn around and say whatever you have paid to agents counts against your FFP not just X1 the amount but x20 the amount, which might get them ? thinking - then again maybe the EFL is waiting to introduce that five years after its relevant ! 

To be fair I'm not sure that it's the job of the PL or the EFL and probably wouldn't work if they did so because of the international movement of players, but if the FA, uefa and fifa got together and made it a standard rule across all countries then it might just stick. 

Agree with all that’s been said above, it has to be the players job to pay the agent not the clubs, it should be 10% of their signing on bonus. 

Simon Jordan whilst on talksport often goes on rants About agents and it’s brilliant. A point he made was a few years ago they got rid of a rule which meant the same agent couldn’t represent the player and the club in the same deal. How that isn’t seen as a massive conflict of interest I have no idea, how can he act in the beat interest of both the club and player?!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I maintain - anyone with the word "agent" in their job title is a parasite*

*with the possible exception of Newsagents

Just had two estate agents round. Felt like I needed a shower after. 

Archived