The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've hardly been impacted by coronovirus and I don't think street parties and celebrations seem in particular good taste. The thousands and thousands of people who have recently lost loved ones might well have much emptier glasses than me.

Not aiming this at you in particular but a recurring theme on this forum is that some people take pride in our country and are optimistic about the future whereas others are less so.   

Personally I take pride in where I've come from and have hope for the future, I don't get all this self-denigration and fearmongering it just drags you into a blackhole of misery and resentment. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do have to laugh at the media. Apparently they are 'slating Boris Johnson for delivering mixed messages about ending the lockdown'.

They do realise that Boris Johnson is not actually delivering his speech until Sunday and it is them that are muck spreading with their stories in the hope of getting one right?

I thought the problem was that Johnson talked some nonsense at PMQs trying to make optimistic noises about imminent changes to ease the lockdown.  Mainly right wing leaning papers then wrote lots of very optimistic headlines based on what Johnson said in parliament.

Later Johnson sent out Raab to face the press and piss on everyone’s fireworks with the unfortunate, albeit accurate, news that significant change wasn’t imminent at all.

More laughable Johnson than laughable media.

43 minutes ago, Archied said:

To be fair the wait for it wait for it build up time lag handling of it is not too clever and I think will cause probs

Once again all created by the media.

Its been said from the outset that the lockdown would be reviewed every 3 weeks, which we knew would fall on Thursday, and we knew pretty much since last weekend that Johnson would be addressing the nation this Sunday.

That the media have chosen to stir the pot by guessing at what will be announced was their decision. 

7 minutes ago, ramesses said:

I thought the problem was that Johnson talked some nonsense at PMQs trying to make optimistic noises about imminent changes to ease the lockdown.  Mainly right wing leaning papers then wrote lots of very optimistic headlines based on what Johnson said in parliament.

Later Johnson sent out Raab to face the press and piss on everyone’s fireworks with the unfortunate, albeit accurate, news that significant change wasn’t imminent at all.

More laughable Johnson than laughable media.

Would you be able to give some quotes from Johnson from PMQs that indicated that there were going to be significant changes in contrast to what Raab has now said please?

I suspect @sage is correct that the PM and his team are out of step with the hard line Tory grandees, who want the lockdown over whereas Boris is swayed by his new found enthusiasm for the NHS frontline staff. 

the big hitters:

Sir Graham ‘the public are a little too eager to stay at home” Brady.

Sir Charles “we need a debate about trading lives” Walker

Sir John “the Nhs has plenty of capacity to cope” Redmond

Sir  Geoffrey “we have to accept more Coronavirus cases” Clifton-Brown

Sir Robert “why should we lockdown any longer” Syms

er and....our very own

Pauline Latham “people should be allowed to play golf or go fishing” ?

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I suspect @sage is correct that the PM and his team are out of step with the hard line Tory grandees, who want the lockdown over whereas Boris is swayed by his new found enthusiasm for the NHS frontline staff. 

the big hitters:

er and....our very own

Really is bizarre that you can go to a supermarket but not sit by a river miles from anyone.

If papers are to believe golf/fishing wont be allowed until phase 3, whereas high streets and outdoor markets will be permitted from phase 1. Absolutely no logic to it at all.

51 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Not aiming this at you in particular but a recurring theme on this forum is that some people take pride in our country and are optimistic about the future whereas others are less so.   

Personally I take pride in where I've come from and have hope for the future, I don't get all this self-denigration and fearmongering it just drags you into a blackhole of misery and resentment. 

I certainly take pride in plenty of aspects of the country and don't think I would rather live anywhere else.

My point was that VE fun seems a little in bad taste compared to what is currently happening. Fair enough if it helps some people get through it. Just think we need some consideration for the people who are currently going through hell.

2 hours ago, Norman said:

But then having thought about it.... 

We are trained for conflict with dheads, and do it all day, every day. 

He might be amazing at domestic abuse support or building ties with local schools. 

Can't really train specifically on things like this like we do in our job. 

Tricky for the guy if have thought. 

These youngish lads obviously have no respect for the fairly easy basic rules meant to protect the public at large including their families not sure how they'd respect one pcso on a push bike tbh. 

Baffles me why people can't just respect these rules in order to protect themselves at the very least. 

Knuckleheads. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Anyone else struggling a little with the VE day celebrations today?

Remembrance Day seems like the proper way to think about war. Solemn, and with the emphasis on the tragedy of the number of deaths.

The actual VE day was a proper celebration for people at the time, with the relief that it was finally over. Marking 75 years of that day with our own festivities seems a little trite at the best of times.

With the current situation, the whole things seems a little in bad taste. We are having loads of old people die, especially in care homes.  Must be hard for a 90 year old to watch the VE celebrations alone on tv, after the substandard care home they live in has just lost half it's residents to coronavirus.

Also seems surreal for British/English flags to be hanging everywhere when we are arguably in our worse state since the war. Surely the proudest English/British person today must be wondering how we screwed this up so badly?

Disagree, basically two different celebrations really for different reasons.

VE day is all about celebrating the success of the allies from all nations against nazi fascism in a specific event. Its about tastefully celebrating democracy and the success of all involved in the effort beyond just the military. 

Rememberance day is to pay respect to the military who unfortunately lost their lives or suffered great hardship doing so in many wars. 

I'm not a big flag waver but I think we can all agree from all political viewpoints that defeating the nazis and liberating Europe was important for all nations. 

Well I can spare two minutes to think about those that never survived to join those celebrations in 1945, yeah we’ve got Remembrance Day to pay our respects but for me, slipping in an extra two minutes every 25 years ain’t asking too much. 

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Once again all created by the media.

Its been said from the outset that the lockdown would be reviewed every 3 weeks, which we knew would fall on Thursday, and we knew pretty much since last weekend that Johnson would be addressing the nation this Sunday.

That the media have chosen to stir the pot by guessing at what will be announced was their decision. 

Ok to a degree but noises comming from gov are playing a part

48 minutes ago, RamNut said:

the big hitters:

er and....our very own

My golf club is as near as my supermarket , I could wander round 18 holes on my own or even in a four , observe social distancing and be far and away at less risk and pose less risk to others than being in the supermarket or on a tube train or any multitude of things deemed ok , there’s a massive practice area closed where I could hit some balls very very safely social distanced ,

all the above are sensible options to help people retain some sanity and exercise well ,but there in lies the problem we have had from the start , no joined up thinking , 

ok day one total lock down then adjust from that point onwards to help people see the sense in stuff they are being asked to do and max the normality we can have within keeping people safe,

tin hat on for the everybody must suffer the same even if there’s no need to brigade

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Anyone else struggling a little with the VE day celebrations today?

Remembrance Day seems like the proper way to think about war. Solemn, and with the emphasis on the tragedy of the number of deaths.

The actual VE day was a proper celebration for people at the time, with the relief that it was finally over. Marking 75 years of that day with our own festivities seems a little trite at the best of times.

With the current situation, the whole things seems a little in bad taste. We are having loads of old people die, especially in care homes.  Must be hard for a 90 year old to watch the VE celebrations alone on tv, after the substandard care home they live in has just lost half it's residents to coronavirus.

Also seems surreal for British/English flags to be hanging everywhere when we are arguably in our worse state since the war. Surely the proudest English/British person today must be wondering how we screwed this up so badly?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52574748 ?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can you link me to anything from the Government that has suggested anything other than a slow exit from lockdown?

Nope sorry, just the vibe I get listening to them and the big build up to our announcing the roadmap out , if it’s just going to be a few little adjustments and some targets to met for next adjustment s then ffs just turn up at daily press conference and tell people ,

boris don’t want to appear on the Uncle Tom cobbly and all show??

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Nope sorry, just the vibe I get listening to them and the big build up to our announcing the roadmap out , if it’s just going to be a few little adjustments and some targets to met for next adjustment s then ffs just turn up at daily press conference and tell people ,

boris don’t want to appear on the Uncle Tom cobbly and all show??

Perhaps boris is distancing as much as poss from the Uncle Tom cobbly lot in prep for the poss inquiry , scrutiny, blaming and cull ? 
you know it makes sense?

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Aberdeen Beach.

image.jpg

That's appalling and shows a complete lack of intelligence............

Its quite clear the tide is coming in, and it will soon just say Fanny....

Archived