The Politics Thread 2020

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I was actually expecting something rather more concrete than that, considering how incredulous you were. 

Taking down an internal brick wall at the moment. On one of my rare days off. So sorry I can't write a massive post with loads of links. 

But tha above is probably a lie. We know how incredulous you are to hardworking, white working class people. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Taking down an internal brick wall at the moment. On one of my rare days off. So sorry I can't write a massive post with loads of links. 

But tha above is probably a lie. We know how incredulous you are to hardworking, white working class people. 

I'm surprised you are working today. I think Brits are amongst the worst idlers in the world, like your Tory heroes do.

Trump is definitely better for the working class of America than Clinton. If he doesn't kill them all.

All I was asking for is one reputable link that clearly explains about some of Hilary's skeletons to explain you incredulity.

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

There are so many 2 minute clips on youtube/twitter from 'trusted' sources that show Trump alluding to injecting disinfectant/using UV light without giving the full context ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/trump-coronavirus-treatment-disinfectant

The actual press conference was about an hour long and Trump was directly talking to Bill Bryan (Homeland Security Science and Technology Lead) who had just been talking at the podium about different avenues of research the US has been undertaking including various bleeches and disinfectants that they have been testing on coronavirus in saliva.

I'm not denying it was clumsy but it certainly isn't what it is being made out to be. But hey, Orange Man Bad.

Watch from approx 33 mins

I've watched most of his rambling incoherent press conferences and if this was an aberration, then sure it could be forgiven.

But in almost every one he says something outlandish or that contradticts what he said the day before. 

And this is the guy that bought 29 million doses of a drug that we now think not only doesn't work, but can make things worse on a hunch and against the advice of his medical team.

It’s absolutely ridiculous to suggest injecting bleach

But surely a disinfectant spray would be ok.
a couple of squirts up each nostril, and one to the back of the throat. Maybe one up the @rse just to be sure .

just a suggestion. Worth looking at?

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

It’s absolutely ridiculous to suggest injecting bleach

But surely a disinfectant spray would be ok.
a couple of squirts up each nostril, and one to the back of the throat. Maybe one up the @rse just to be sure .

just a suggestion. Worth looking at?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/hydrogen-peroxide-a-potential-treatment-for-coronavirus-infection/ar-BB12qktc

Someone asked a question on Quora ‘Why do British people not like Donald Trump?’ and someone from the UK called Nate White responded. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion…

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them.

His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency– and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of poo. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’”

@ramesses that’s a bit harsh really. 

i quite like his orange face. And his candifloss hair. 
he’s just a big ol pussy-grabbing sugar daddy.

and I like cats too.

26 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Excellent. I’m pleased to have been of help. 
I think something stronger for the back passage though.
Maybe a couple of shots of toilet duck.?

The good thing about toilet duck is that bend in the neck.

It means you can get straight into the colon and ensure maximum coverage.

25 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Someone asked a question on Quora ‘Why do British people not like Donald Trump?’ and someone from the UK called Nate White responded. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion…

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them.

His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency– and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of poo. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?’”

Please pass on my handclap to Nate because he nailed it.

Except maybe one thing.

Brits tend to like pets and Trump doesn't.

First President ever I think to not have had a pet.

I think he should adopt the guy below, although press briefings may be tricky when we're not sure who has turned up.

BTW, talk show host and comedian Bill Maher, famously offered $5m to Trump if he could prove that he is mum didn't have him after copulating with an orangutan.

He did that as part of a  monologue for his satirical show after Trump had called into question Obama's place of birth 

He suggested his mum may have lied (in case any of you don't know, you cannot be President if you weren't born an American, so he was trying to get Obama thrown out of office because he was doing a terrible job*) and he's really Kenyan. Trump said she needed to prove it and the birth certificate wasn't enough.

Trump sued Maher but ending up dropping the case. Presumably he checked with other family members and they said, 'yes, yes you are actually half orangutan Donald, now put my bananas down, stop pooing on the rug and go be President

* just kidding, it's because he was black.

orangutans_thumb.jpg

46 minutes ago, ramesses said:

There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency– and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down. 

I'd have stopped there. If only because we voted Boris in and so aren't in much of a position to ask 'why'?!

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Everybody has a right nowadays to judge other people's lives and also jobs, based on little to no evidence or knowledge. Because their opinion is as good as anyone else's. 

Having differing opinions is one thing, but the scary aspect of that by extension is the school of thought (or lack of it) whereby "My ignorance is just as valid as your expertise". It gives rise to the situation where the person who shouts loudest, longest or has the catchiest rhetoric wins the popularity contest, and by default, wins the argument.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thing is, he didnt suggest doing it did he?

As stupid as Trump is, it will only be people even more stupid than him who think he was advocating sitting there injecting yourself with dettol.

He didn't directly advocate people drinking a solution of aquarium cleaner either, but he advocated the use of hydroxychloroquine, and a couple of rednecks took chloroquine sulphate, and one died.

1 hour ago, ramesses said:

Hmm.  See these two words together far too much in arguments nowadays.  If this person think this blokes an odious character, stick to the facts as too why you feel this way.  When I see these words together in any argument I switch off, it's not worth my time .

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

An excellent question.  And it can be generalized, why are some posters continually more interested in the media response to an event, rather than the actual event itself. 

I could have predicted the 3 or 4 people who would leap to Trump's defence by saying such things as "He clearly didn't mean that" or "He was misquoted" - when it's frankly impossible for anybody to fathom what's going on inside Trump's 'mind', for want of a better word.

Archived