Bielik

Holmes.     10

lawrence            9.            11

For the next 18 months.....

6 = fozzy  plus new understudy

10 = Shinnie with knight and sibley in reserve

9 = Rooney and Martin / waghorn etc

11 = new - we haven’t got one 

its debatable  whether any of these players are good enough for the Prem / promotion side, but that’s what we’ve got 

in what’s left of this season I would try Evans / wisdom in central defence, and Lawrence at no7 to see if they are the answer there.

I’m not really convinced by Lawrence anywhere tbh. Similarly wisdom. Therefore Cocu ought to play them to find out.

I can see knight challenging Holmes for that midfield spot sooner rather than later. Shinnie could end up on the bench with Bennett. Whittaker looks like a future no10. 

id be trying to exchange jozefzoon, Malone, huddlestone and possibly even Marriott for new signings. i like marriott but i can’t ever see us playing two up top in a 442. 

Some players I've outlined that could potentially do a job for us

GK: Cameron Dawson(Wendies)

CB: Jake Cooper (Millwall)

CF: Nicolai Jörgensen (Centre Forward from Feyenoord)

CF: Sam Lammers (PSV - Cmon Cocu use your links!)

LW: Pione Sisto (Unrealistic maybe, but out of contract in 2021)

CM: Enzo Loiodice (Dijon - 19 years old, bright prospect - Contract expires in 2021, could be a great acquisition - would demand a Bielik-like figure though)

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

@RamNut Lawrence is not a right winger...

I’m not sure he’s anything other than a greedy striker.

the point is whether could he do it.

Having no left foot he is useless on the left. 

On 05/12/2019 at 07:14, BathRam72 said:

While I agree with what you are saying. If we are building a squad for promotion, you have to look at the team FOR the prem.

The ones highlighted are getting on a bit now and although they are good NOW maybe another year will be one too many. Their contracts are all but up, maybe time to cut loose? However in real terms I would think most will; stay this year and we will fill the weakened places. 

Wisdom is only 26!!

I don’t know why, but I just don’t see Rooney playing for us next season.

I think if he has a stormer then he might end up elsewhere for a year and if he does terribly then it might be mutually terminated.

I just don’t see an in between where Rooney has the motivation to want to play at Derby next year!

Looking at progression/pathways I really don't see too many positions where the kids are ready to step up in the next few seasons, especially if 2 seasons from now we are top flight, so 6 or 7 starters needed to really compete. 

I'm pretty sure there would have to be some serious offloading to get what we (or Cocu) want too, and whilst I would love to see him virtually start from scratch and buy a team in his mould, it won't happen. 4 or 5 would be a great start.

New (No outstanding youngster to succeed/step up to my knowledge)

Bogle (None), New (None), New (Buchanan), Lowe (None)

Bielik (Bird)

Rooney (Knight), New (Sibley)

New (Whittaker), New, Lawrence, (Mitchell-Lawson)

I can understand the argument that the younger players should be protected and developed further,  but max Lowe is 22, Bennett 23, Bateman 21, Wassall 22 in January, Babos 21, shonibare 21, hector-Ingram 21, Ravas 22.

some of these should be getting introduced to first team action. This seemed to be where we went wrong with Luke Thomas, elsnik, Callum guy, vernam  etc. They didn’t get much of a chance and were released or sold. 

Colin Todd was 22 when we signed him. A British record fee for a defender and he was absolute class from his debut onwards.bielik is 21. Really good players should be making folk sit up and take notice at that age or thereabouts. We need to stick the academy graduates in when they get to this age and try them even if it’s only for 15-20 minutes here and there. 

they are old enough. Let’s see if they are good enough. 

That still leaves plenty bubbling under:

Yates, barnes, j Brown, Buchanan, cashin, Hunt, minkley, bird, Dixon, Mitchell-Lawson, Ebosele, knight, sibley, a brown, Whittaker, Stretton, cresswell, splatt, plus many more.

I would point to Bielik, the one player that Cocu had the time and money to buy, as the quality of player that he has his sights on bringing in - and, let's face it that we need.

Hopefully, with investment "close" and two transfer windows before next season, we can up the quality of the squad considerably. The average standard needs to be above the quality of our best players now, if we are to get promoted and then stay there.

I am pleased to read in this thread and others, there are many arguing for "building a dynasty" (one phrase I saw and liked) rather than an instant Warnock clagged promotion, immediately followed by an even faster wee Billy plummet.

We need to buy in quality and bring on the academy players. Cocu's interview, the other week, brilliantly overviewed the plan. I'm in.

COYR ?

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

I can understand the argument that the younger players should be protected and developed further,  but max Lowe is 22, Bennett 23, Bateman 21, Wassall 22 in January, Babos 21, shonibare 21, hector-Ingram 21, Ravas 22.

some of these should be getting introduced to first team action. This seemed to be where we went wrong with Luke Thomas, elsnik, Callum guy, vernam  etc. They didn’t get much of a chance and were released or sold. 

Colin Todd was 22 when we signed him. A British record fee for a defender and he was absolute class from his debut onwards.bielik is 21. Really good players should be making folk sit up and take notice at that age or thereabouts. We need to stick the academy graduates in when they get to this age and try them even if it’s only for 15-20 minutes here and there. 

they are old enough. Let’s see if they are good enough. 

That still leaves plenty bubbling under:

Yates, barnes, j Brown, Buchanan, cashin, Hunt, minkley, bird, Dixon, Mitchell-Lawson, Ebosele, knight, sibley, a brown, Whittaker, Stretton, cresswell, splatt, plus many more.

I think you've answered your own comment, here, Ramnut.

The fact that Buchanan, Knight, Whittaker, Sibley have seen first team action ahead of Bateman, Wassall, Babos etc makes me think that the former are the ones making folks take notice. The others in your first list (apart from Bennett, Lowe and Hector-Ingram - who is very new) will maybe never make it for us if others are leapfrogging them.

Hope Max Hunt's loan will mean he is a real contender when he gets back and for your second list there's still all to play for. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Excellent in tight spaces, constantly turns, plays and carries the ball through the thirds. He isn’t a #10, he’s a Hughes. Less control over games, more progressive with the ball

I understand all of his qualities but I'd consider our best player to be someone who's a "game changer" . Holmes doesn't change games . 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I think you've answered your own comment, here, Ramnut.

The fact that Buchanan, Knight, Whittaker, Sibley have seen first team action ahead of Bateman, Wassall, Babos etc makes me think that the former are the ones making folks take notice. The others in your first list (apart from Bennett, Lowe and Hector-Ingram - who is very new) will maybe never make it for us if others are leapfrogging them.

Hope Max Hunt's loan will mean he is a real contender when he gets back and for your second list there's still all to play for. 

I take your point. I just think we’re being too safe. 

They get to a level and then fail to develop partly through lack of opportunity. 

Stick them in. We’ll see if they have something. If not then let them go. But try them first.

Archived