Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Will Hughes Hair

Premier League quality Rams?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Bit of a pointless thread in all honesty. Fans have proven time and time again to either underrate or overrate our players drastically, including what they assume to be Premier League quality and what isn't - Hendrick, Hughes, Martin etc are all cases in point.

Half of those you've named have shown something in youth football, and whilst promising, have done basically nothing at a senior level - and we've seen that time and time again too... Callum Ball anyone?

Add to that, 4 years is an eternity in football. Shinnie and Malone will be 32, for example, not going to bet a lot on either of them being good enough for next season let alone in 4 years time.

Finally, team is far more important than individuals. Need players that fit together and possess the attributes to carry out the manager's plan. No one, even now, is looking at Sheffield United and saying they ooze Premier League players.

Spot on answer and lets not kid ourselves we have not got a single player in our ranks this season that you would say is Premier ship material let alone 4 years time

If we are not there by then Cocu would of been gone and replaced and we will be back with a team of mediocre players to boot 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Lansbury and Kodija(phew).We we’re in for Abraham but we wouldn’t pay 55k a week?

Weren’t we in for Mings too?

And who was the fat lad who got stuck behind his gate?

Ross McCormack who cost close £13 millions had the "gategate".

I do recall us being after McGinn and Chester as well, latter being too expensive. Or maybe they were just suggestions here, not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

They've changed back to very attractive with Potter again. My understanding is that too defensive tactics were the reason why Hughton had to go. If so, credit has to go to board to be bold enough to make such change.

I didn't know that! Good to know as they were awful (but effective) against us last year.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I didn't know that! Good to know as they were awful (but effective) against us last year.

One of the best one to watch at the moment IMO. They play from the back and balls moves quickly on the floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

It’s taking a long time and what I’ve come up with won’t go down well.

Chris Martin is good enough,Jack Marriott isn’t.

 

Now I’ve always been a bit on the fence with Chrissy. Right system, right manager and he is the best of championship strikers but 4 years on at 35  - good enough for the prem ? I think a reality check is due even for the most die hard groupie !

Marriott .. young player developing, clearly has technical ability and the knows where to be at the sharp end. Could end up as feisty Championship all round sharp shooter (which I think he has already arrived at ) but could develop in to something more.. None of us really knows 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jono said:

Now I’ve always been a bit on the fence with Chrissy. Right system, right manager and he is the best of championship strikers but 4 years on at 35  - good enough for the prem ? I think a reality check is due even for the most die hard groupie!

Marriott .. young player developing, clearly has technical ability and the knows where to be at the sharp end. Could end up as feisty Championship all round sharp shooter (which I think he has already arrived at ) but could develop in to something more.. None of us really knows 

Yeah but the crazy thing is atm Chrissy looks the one 'more likely to'. Jack doesn't look feisty, but maybe all round... 🤣

Share this post


Link to post

Its hard to judge sometimes who can make the step up.

Take sturridge as an example,  at one point he looked destined for lower league but suddenly gained confidence and was decent in the PL

Malcolm Christie another example.

Others you might have put money on doing well in the top flight but didn't... Bobby Davison for one.

Then again sometimes it's sadly predictable like our PL squad last time round. 

Id love to get there then worry about it

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jono said:

Now I’ve always been a bit on the fence with Chrissy. Right system, right manager and he is the best of championship strikers but 4 years on at 35  - good enough for the prem ? I think a reality check is due even for the most die hard groupie !

Marriott .. young player developing, clearly has technical ability and the knows where to be at the sharp end. Could end up as feisty Championship all round sharp shooter (which I think he has already arrived at ) but could develop in to something more.. None of us really knows 

I’m playing devils advocate with Wardrobe.

I think Cocu will look to move Marriott on.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So the planning for the future starts now.  I've been thinking about the remit Mr Cocu was given when he signed his 4 year contract and it surely had to be to establish us as a Premier League side.  So using my special crystal ball I've been thinking about who may feature in a 27 man squad for the final year of that contract.

I've highlighted those that I think could be part of that squad and based on the squad being 3 goalkeepers; 8 defenders; 8 midfielders and 8 attackers I make us 9 players short.  When I think about which players would be week in week out starters it's down to Bogle, Bielik, Lowe and then perhaps two or three out of Sibley, Archie Brown, Bird, Knight and Whittaker.  So not only are we short on depth we are 5 or 6 high quality players short.

Why's this important?  Because in my eyes the best way to play in the Premier League is to play with PL standard players.  Yes we could buy them once we're promoted but that doesn't help us to get promoted and it's a hell of an integration in one pre-season that relies on players being available and at the right price.  I think we need to take a more considered approach and utilise the next transfer window to focus on bringing in one or two quality additions to help the team evolve as an ongoing strategy.

For this reason (along with rumoured investment and the arrival of Wazza) I suspect January is going to be a very interesting month.

Goalkeepers

Carson (34); Roos (27); Hamer (32); Mitchell (25); Ravas (22)

Defenders

Wisdom (26); Forsyth (30); Bogle (19); Lowe (22); Davies (34); Keogh (33); Clarke (23); Malone (28); Buchanan (18)

Midfielders

Shinnie (28); Bielik (21); Huddlestone (32); Dowell (22); Sibley (18); Bird (19); Knight (18); Paterson (27); Josefzoon (28); Evans (25); Holmes (25); Anya (31); Thorne (26)

Attackers

Waghorn (29); Lawrence (25); Marriott (25); Martin (31); Bennett (23); Rooney (34); Mitchell-Lawson (20); Whitaker (18); A Brown (17); Trialist (21)

Really can’t believe there are people with a brain functioning enough to use a computer who think Roos is or will be premier league quality. He isn’t even championship and isn’t young....

Share this post


Link to post

I just don’t see very many of our players being prem quality.

Marriott is a maybe 

Holmes is a maybe ., I think in the right team he’d make the grade

Bogle .. yes

Lowe .. another work in progress, undecided. 

bielik and Clarke.. maybe

Malone, well he’s been there, has some quality but let’s face it an also ran 

it’s only hopes from the academy that gives me real hope

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, europia said:

Would have said a while back that Bogle was our one player with PL potential. Not so sure now, regarding his (lacking) defensive capabilities. Time will tell....

Is this based on the 1 mistake against Forest?

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Srg said:

Bit of a pointless thread in all honesty. Fans have proven time and time again to either underrate or overrate our players drastically, including what they assume to be Premier League quality and what isn't - Hendrick, Hughes, Martin etc are all cases in point.

Half of those you've named have shown something in youth football, and whilst promising, have done basically nothing at a senior level - and we've seen that time and time again too... Callum Ball anyone?

Add to that, 4 years is an eternity in football. Shinnie and Malone will be 32, for example, not going to bet a lot on either of them being good enough for next season let alone in 4 years time.

Finally, team is far more important than individuals. Need players that fit together and possess the attributes to carry out the manager's plan. No one, even now, is looking at Sheffield United and saying they ooze Premier League players.

I do believe Hughes and Hendrick have both been playing fairly consistently in the premier league 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.