U23s v Feyenoord

Day

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ramit said:

Jordan Brown had a fine game last night in Iceland at left back.  Have an increasing like for him.

He’s very consistent in his performances no matter which position he plays - LB last night, DM tonight CB earlier in the season, and RB in a lot of the games more recently. The best full back (at defending) we have at youth level, a threat at set pieces, and has a habit of playing the ball into dangerous areas. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He’s very consistent in his performances no matter which position he plays - LB last night, DM tonight CB earlier in the season, and RB in a lot of the games more recently. The best full back (at defending) we have at youth level, a threat at set pieces, and has a habit of playing the ball into dangerous areas. 

The next Jamie Hanson!

26 minutes ago, angieram said:

Great to see so much chat in the under 18s and under 23 threads.The Cocu effect? 

Yes, it really helps that the club show many of the games on live TV for free. 

So many of these players are becoming well known and we have the excitement of anticipating which ones will make the final step up. 

In fact, the youngsters' games have been more entertaining than the first team this season. 

10 hours ago, Coconut said:

I'm sure you can still go on the website and watch the highlights for each game to check?

I've not seen him outright dive to win any tbf, there's always a nudge / push in the back and a clear reason he's been given it (aside from the last game when he got given one for backing into the keeper) albeit it I don't think he'd get given quite a few of them in the men's game. 

He never really seems to win any where he's tripped by the opponent, it's always body-on-body.

Not really. There is only one camera and its at the halfway line. That was my point.

But I think @Carnero is right; he just seems to make a strategy of having defenders run into him.

24 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not really. There is only one camera and its at the halfway line. That was my point.

But I think @Carnero is right; he just seems to make a strategy of having defenders run into him.

He seems a nice lad (from his interview) but I'm not sure how much more there is to him other than his ability to 'get in the way of defenders'. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He seems a nice lad (from his interview) but I'm not sure how much more there is to him other than his ability to 'get in the way of defenders'. 

His movement is good. He often gets on the end of crosses or creates good angles for through balls. Sure, its not great that he doesn't finish nearly as many as those chances as he should but having those kinds of movement instincts is a good sign, and its usually those runs which result in penalties. His finishing does need to improve if he's to sniff a spot in the first team though. 

Part of my questioning whether or not he's diving / going down easily is because maybe he doesn't have confidence in his finishing (which would be reasonable from what we've seen) and prefers his chances from the spot.

15 hours ago, Carnero said:

The next Jamie Hanson!

While this is very funny and I can understand the point you're trying to make. We shouldn't be comparing any of these youth players to the likes of Hanson, Ball, Addison etc. due to the high level they're performing at at the moment. None of our youth teams until recently have been so successful at their age category and the results are backed up by solid performances across the pitch.

There were people who sad to see Elsnik leave and before that the likes of Jamie Hanson and Ivan Calero were among the best we had in the academy. This current group are head and shoulders above any of those players. I guess the only comparable academy graduate of recent times is Will Hughes, who still hasn't reached the level we thought he would when he was with us.

There are still players that won't make the cut, that's the nature of the game, but I have high hopes for a lot of the players to be performing at a much higher level than the first team currently are in the years to come. It's all very exciting.

16 minutes ago, roboto said:

While this is very funny and I can understand the point you're trying to make. We shouldn't be comparing any of these youth players to the likes of Hanson, Ball, Addison etc. due to the high level they're performing at at the moment. None of our youth teams until recently have been so successful at their age category and the results are backed up by solid performances across the pitch.

There were people who sad to see Elsnik leave and before that the likes of Jamie Hanson and Ivan Calero were among the best we had in the academy. This current group are head and shoulders above any of those players. I guess the only comparable academy graduate of recent times is Will Hughes, who still hasn't reached the level we thought he would when he was with us.

There are still players that won't make the cut, that's the nature of the game, but I have high hopes for a lot of the players to be performing at a much higher level than the first team currently are in the years to come. It's all very exciting.

The fact that so many of them are internationals for their age groups reinforces @roboto 's points and shows that Derby's academy, for a Championship club, are punching way above their weight. With great chances of reaching the UEFA Youth League play-offs and the knockout stage of the Premier League International Cup, not to mention being second on goal difference at the top of Premier League 2, our young players across the age ranges are excelling at the moment. Long may it continue.

Archived