Sainsbury's to stop selling fireworks

McRamFan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes, there are certainly better ways to spend £80 for a few seconds enjoyment.

Oh... wait... I didn't mean... Damn... too late!

£80? Good god, it were only £25 at Bubbles back in the day.

so they said

I'm all for banning fireworks for personal use. There's loads of public displays around now, and most admissions cost a diddy firework. One of my parents' neighbours decided it'd be a good idea to buy big display fireworks a couple of years ago. A tiny garden, nowhere near clearance to safely let it off. One firework ended up flying into a fence and it caught fire, thankfully someone had a fire extinguisher. It's these Darwin Award contenders that spoil the fun for others.

Absolutely despise fireworks - so does my dog. He's a rescue pup from Romania and the bangs sound like gunshots and as his brothers & sisters were shot, he gets so scared. 

One time I was on the field near my house walking him and there was a bunch of youths letting them off - ridiculous 

We can applaud Sainsbury’s but let’s be honest, won’t change anything. Even if other supermarkets joined forces you would see Firework warehouses pop up on industrial estates ready to cash in. 

Only a change in the law will make a difference and as anyone that has signed the annual petition for government to debate the issue, nothing ever happens. 

Got myself down to the vets, picked up some tablets for my dog, gave us 10 which I will use during the run up to bonfire night. Won’t help with those random displays 2 weeks before, already won’t go out back after dark again.

I’ve moaned on here a few times now, others are really into the flash and bangs, even before becoming a dog owner I thought they were a bit weird, not cheap those things, odd why you see the bigger displays in poorer areas of the town

Its also littering. How many.of those who set them off in residential areas trail the streets and neighbouring homes to pick up after themselves?

Not many i bet. People who let them off are the sort who only care about themselves and dont give a duck about anyone else.

18 hours ago, David said:

We can applaud Sainsbury’s but let’s be honest, won’t change anything. Even if other supermarkets joined forces you would see Firework warehouses pop up on industrial estates ready to cash in. 

Only a change in the law will make a difference and as anyone that has signed the annual petition for government to debate the issue, nothing ever happens. 

Got myself down to the vets, picked up some tablets for my dog, gave us 10 which I will use during the run up to bonfire night. Won’t help with those random displays 2 weeks before, already won’t go out back after dark again.

I’ve moaned on here a few times now, others are really into the flash and bangs, even before becoming a dog owner I thought they were a bit weird, not cheap those things, odd why you see the bigger displays in poorer areas of the town

I haven't signed on since the early '80's, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain "they" must get "Firework Tokens" nowadays.  I think they also get beer tokens, judging by the number of empty cans littering the streets around here!   

All I got was vouchers for wallpaper and milk.  Not half as exciting!

Good on Sainsbury’s! The other thing I don’t get is why people let them off now this god dam EARLY, bonfire night is not for weeks yet, it really really annoys me. Last night they were letting them off and scared my dog so bad it ran into and knocked down my Christmas tree !!!!!!! 

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Good on Sainsbury’s! The other thing I don’t get is why people let them off now this god dam EARLY, bonfire night is not for weeks yet, it really really annoys me. Last night they were letting them off and scared my dog so bad it ran into and knocked down my Christmas tree !!!!!!! 

The other thing I don’t get is why people put Christmas Trees up so early, or didn’t you take it down from last year?

22 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The other thing I don’t get is why people put Christmas Trees up so early, or didn’t you take it down from last year?

high quality GIF

Around here (Smethwick) there are shops stocking and selling nowt but fireworks. Signs on industrial estates to Fireworks factories and wholesalers. Buy one get one free, you name it.

It's easier to get fireworks than Monty Python's Watney's Red Barrel!

You hear hundreds of quid's worth going off during Diwali, Christmas, New Year, and any time some folk have a birthday, wedding, probably even funeral for all I know.

I never spend owt on them messen but could probably take in a firework display any old time I wanted, which I don't.

Glad I'm not a dog, but some of my best pals are guide dogs!

Archived