Sainsbury's to stop selling fireworks

McRamFan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Stopped in the basingstoke waitrose for a lunchtime sandwich and they were selling a 500 shot firework......

500 shot!!!

What are they thinking  - that we're wanting to reenact the Somme???

I know? Isnt it just old people who shop in waitrose?

16 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

The annual shelling has started this evening. Utter jebs.

Still going at 10pm on a Sunday night... Common courtesy is dead.

To be fair Diwali started yesterday. If organised events then cant argue too much.

16 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

The annual shelling has started this evening. Utter jebs.

Still going at 10pm on a Sunday night... Common courtesy is dead.

Met a very upset lady and young son who were visiting relatives in the area. Their collie had disappeared as he was so frightened by the sudden eruption of the annual "creeping barrage" in leafy South Hants. They were beside themselves. They had only taken him outside briefly for a pee and it was such a noisy salvo he bolted.

Its disgraceful really - but it isn't helped by the few organised displays being gradually reduced. There needs to be restrictions in place on overly noisy or massive fireworks - they should be to licensed operators only.

I hope the visitors found Oreo, their collie......

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

To be fair Diwali started yesterday. If organised events then cant argue too much.

This is people in heavily residential areas letting them off so my patience is  being tested. Being in the name of religion makes me even less tolerant!

On 22/10/2019 at 12:17, Bwash_Ram said:

Had a bit of a miss-spent youth with fireworks, many a happy afternoon spent capping off school to

play "Airbomb Roulette" down Ilson rec.

Ahh happy days.

Me too ,used to make rocket and banger guns and fire em at each other ,kids can't enjoy themselves nowadays.

On 27/10/2019 at 07:33, Van der MoodHoover said:

Stopped in the basingstoke waitrose for a lunchtime sandwich and they were selling a 500 shot firework......

500 shot!!!

What are they thinking  - that we're wanting to reenact the Somme???

How much was it? Asking for a friend ?

To be fair, that seems a tad ridiculous to me. I understand that parents may want their kids to have some fun and that's fair enough but an organised display is a better and way less invasive option. It doesn't bother me but my friends with pets absolutely hate the whole firework thing and in Oxfordshire it seems to go on for about a month.

On 18/10/2019 at 18:00, richinspain said:

You'd all love Fallas over here. Near a month of kids throwing small, and not so small, bangers at each other with no regard for those passing by. And then there are the "masclets, some of which can have a body of more than 6" and a diameter of about 3" (no comments please), which sound like a bomb going off!

A big group of us did Las Fallas de Valencia a good few years back. It was bonkers, almost like being in some sort of crazy, cartoon warzone but we loved it. My lad was Didn't get a whole lot of sleep to be honest but we had an amazing time and the climax of the event was nothing short of epic. Not much in the way of health and safety directives though ?

6 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Me too ,used to make rocket and banger guns and fire em at each other ,kids can't enjoy themselves nowadays.

I know,  we used to go round at night setting fire to old people. Would totally be frowned on nowadays. 

Killjoys

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah, we used to wheel an old guy around in a wheelbarrow for a couple of evenings, then lob him on a bonfire.

Wondered what happened to eddie.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Anyone else remember as a kid a firework called a "Jumping Jack"?

You lit it up on the ground and each detonation would shoot it about 3-4ft in the air in a random direction. 

Running around the garden screeching was an integral part of fireworks night for me as a small child ?

"Catherine Wheels" had a similar effect if it wasn't nailed to the gates post securely. How boring must childhood be now in this heightened age of health and safety. 

Archived