watching lower league football

Poynton ram

Went to watch my local team Macclesfield Town play Port Vale today with no rams game on. Local Derby, all ticket with the Port Vale manager John Askey absolutely idolised by the Macc fans from when he was manager and player at Macc.

More Vale fans than Macc fans so decent atmosphere.

Macc's financial issues are well documented and they don't have a shirt sponsor. Quite ironic that our Wayne has a £20m house about 4 miles away in Prestbury, home to a number of footballers and a very affluent area.

Really good end to end action with Macc coming from behind to win 2>1

Everyone got searched going in - elderly couple in front of me not impressed about being frisked and on the basis both husband and wife were well into their 70s they had a point. Flair went off near us in the first half, don't think it was them.

This is real grass roots football, and enjoyable. £15 for me £5 for my 16 year old lad

I know today was non league day, anybody else go along to watch a match and enjoy it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Went to watch my local team Macclesfield Town play Port Vale today with no rams game on. Local Derby, all ticket with the Port Vale manager John Askey absolutely idolised by the Macc fans from when he was manager and player at Macc.

Macc's financial issues are well documented and they don't have a shirt sponsor. Quite ironic that our Wayne has a £20m house about 4 miles away in Prestbury, home to a number of footballers and a very affluent area.

Everyone got searched going in - elderly couple in front of me not impressed about being frisked and on the basis both husband and wife were well into their 70s they had a point. Flair went off near us in the first half, don't think it was them.

This is real grass roots football, and enjoyable. £15 for me £5 for my 16 year old lad

I know today was non league day, anybody else go along to watch a match and enjoy it?

Do they play the "Macc lads" songs on the tannoy??

Love Macclesfields ground, Played there once in my youth in a school cup final and went to a game when they played Stafford Rangers in the Northern Premier League a lifetime ago.

There used to be a factory close to the ground where they made football club cloth badges, the ones you used to sew on to shirts I seem to remember. Their nickname is the Silkmen and I think it was due to the factories near the ground?

12 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Yes. We went to Peterborough v Lincoln and I have posted about it in another thread. 

I know it's only one league below us but it was a bit pricey £26 for me and £21 for my hubby (over 65).

Definitely not grass roots but seemed a bit more friendly around the ground pre kick off - 3,000 Lincoln fans around. 

Having watched a number of Grimsby games and been to a few Derby U23 games this season, I would say the U23s level is on par, if not slightly better at times than League 2.

It does lack the atmosphere though, but you get the added interest watching potential first team players.

Get yourself down to these games. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes. We went to Peterborough v Lincoln and I have posted about it in another thread. 

...And an excellent thread it is too!

Absolutely no need to have started this one, when the OP could have tagged on to that other excellent thread... Did I mention it is excellent?

#Justsayin'

• 2 weeks later...

Stockport County are my local side, not been to see them in many a year but I’m pleased they are on the up again with County legend Jim Gannon. 
I always check Forest Green Rovers as I’m a huge fan of their ethics, determined to see them this season. Really pleased they’re progressing well. Oh and Harrogate Town as it’s a lovely place and has one of my all time favourite drinking establishments ....... 

This philosophy helps ease the pain of a defeat for us...... my ‘other’ teams ??

29CC8A72-E97E-4ABB-B9EF-8B031DC8FD4D.jpeg

I went to watch this 'classic' earlier this year whilst up in Musselburgh, Two red cards, 7 goals, possibly the worst decision I've sever seen by a Linesman and the opposition 'keeper waiting for the 'said' linesman after the match. 

350 were there and it was well worth the £5 admission.

https://www.musselburghathleticfc.co.uk/videos/musselburgh-athletic-52-newtongrange-star-1622019-142895.html

5 hours ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

I went to watch this 'classic' earlier this year whilst up in Musselburgh, Two red cards, 7 goals, possibly the worst decision I've sever seen by a Linesman and the opposition 'keeper waiting for the 'said' linesman after the match. 

350 were there and it was well worth the £5 admission.

https://www.musselburghathleticfc.co.uk/videos/musselburgh-athletic-52-newtongrange-star-1622019-142895.html

No worse than some of the linesmen we've had at PP this season

Archived