Champions Youth League - FC Minsk vs Derby County (Wed 2nd Oct 2pm)

Carl Sagan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A negative and perhaps premature prediction, but I don't think he'll 'make it' at Derby.

Odds are always in your favour when it comes to U18s. Something like one in every 30 U18s ever plays a game for the first team. Half don't even make the step-up to the U23s.

That's average across football mind, and under Cocu they've probably got a better shot. Whittaker and Sibley have the best chance. If anything, Sibley's got the harder road, he has a much more complex skillset and role in the team that has to make the step up.

Whittaker is fast, has good feet, and is an excellent finisher. Many players have made good careers out of just those three traits. 

But again, odds are in your favour. He very well may not make it at Derby.

Disappointed I missed the game, but great to see the result. Hope the first team can manage a similar scoreline tonight!

Interesting to see Wilson and Stretton only on the bench (both on towards the end). Great that Whittaker and Sibley are both contributing so well. Pleased for Captain Minkley. And of course pleased for all of them. Keep up the good, hard work you young Rams.

44 minutes ago, Squid said:

What makes you say that?

Clearly, he’s a fantastic talent with a superb goal record that can’t be written off. 

Admittedly, I’ve not seen a huge amount of him but, whenever I’ve seen him, he doesn’t strike me as someone who has a huge impact on the game outside of the final pass or shot. I think it will be difficult for him to force his way into the first team if he doesn’t manage to score early on, especially as he’s not as eye-catching as the likes of Mitchell-Lawson (not saying that JML is better). A loan spell might help perhaps, but I wonder about his slight frame in the lower leagues.

Obviously, I hope that I’m wrong and would love it if he made it. I just thought I would give you the thought that’s been in the back of my mind whenever I see him play. He’s clearly got a chance of making it here, but I feel that Sibley is far more likely to get into the first team.

Archived