Egg Chasing WC

Van der MoodHoover

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah, been disappointing and put them in the possition of really needing the win against Japan. Ireland are a better side than Scotland, but it was such a total annihilation of a result.

Theres a line of thought that Townsend was always building upto the Japan game, recognising that it was the most important game in the group. 

Oh well, nothing you can do about the weather. There's apparently a force majeure in the rules that gives an opt out on the current rule of not moving the game. The Rugby federation have dismissed it. 

It would of been interesting if NZ or England needed a win to get through. I think the Rugby federation might of given a different answer. 

If you can be bothered, Brian Moore sums it up really well on twitter. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Theres a line of thought that Townsend was always building upto the Japan game, recognising that it was the most important game in the group. 

Oh well, nothing you can do about the weather. There's apparently a force majeure in the rules that gives an opt out on the current rule of not moving the game. The Rugby federation have dismissed it. 

It would of been interesting if NZ or England needed a win to get through. I think the Rugby federation might of given a different answer. 

More to do with it being the host country possibly?

On 10/10/2019 at 22:14, CWC1983 said:

I’ve a couple of mates in Moscow consoling themselves on beating Russia 61 - 4 on aggregate. And yes, the big boys call the shots. 

2 minutes ago, 2tups said:

I’ve a couple of mates in Moscow consoling themselves on beating Russia 61 - 4 on aggregate. And yes, the big boys call the shots. 

Ive a few in Moscow as well. 

Cyprus in November still looks a nice winter trip. 

See this whole typhoon thing is bugging me somewhat. First off, addressing your point @CWC1983 I don't buy this school of thought nor have I even heard it, that Townsend thought it'd make sense to dump the game, or was convinced the Scots would lose against the Irish. That's plain rubbish, sorry. He put out his strongest 15, they made all the right noises and they then completely failed to turn up. Also, let's not forget that in recent years, setting their win against Ireland aside, Japan have beaten both Wales and South Africa so if the Scots were assuming it'd be a good idea to wager their entire championship on beating them in their own backyard then to a degree, they are the architects of the dilemma in which they now find themselves. Furthermore, this supposed 'strategic play' means that even if Scotland do end up beating Japan, they'll most likely get the Kiwis next. And this was Townsend's plan?!?

As for what would have happened if it were England or New Zealand. Well, nothing, it would have been exactly the same. This whole anti-Scottish conspiracy thing which we've been hearing for years and years is just so old now. It needs to stop as it's absolute nonsense. 

The last point I'd make is that in threatening to sue the organisers before their game has even been cancelled, Scotland have shown a distinct lack of class which has not got down well with any other nation. So-called Scottish fans are all over the various rugby forums inferring that the Japanese are somehow ducking the game which is even worse. They actually beat Ireland and comfortably so, lest we forget. Of course this doesn't mean they're a cert to beat Scotland, but they'll certainly not fear them either. Implying they are running scared is as disgraceful as it is inaccurate.

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

See this whole typhoon thing is bugging me somewhat. First off, addressing your point @CWC1983 I don't buy this school of thought nor have I even heard it, that Townsend thought it'd make sense to dump the game, or was convinced the Scots would lose against the Irish. That's plain rubbish, sorry. He put out his strongest 15, they made all the right noises and they then completely failed to turn up. Also, let's not forget that in recent years, setting their win against Ireland aside, Japan have beaten both Wales and South Africa so if the Scots were assuming it'd be a good idea to wager their entire championship on beating them in their own backyard then to a degree, they are the architects of the dilemma in which they now find themselves. Furthermore, this supposed 'strategic play' means that even if Scotland do end up beating Japan, they'll most likely get the Kiwis next. And this was Townsend's plan?!?

As for what would have happened if it were England or New Zealand. Well, nothing, it would have been exactly the same. This whole anti-Scottish conspiracy thing which we've been hearing for years and years is just so old now. It needs to stop as it's absolute nonsense. 

The last point I'd make is that in threatening to sue the organisers before their game has even been cancelled, Scotland have shown a distinct lack of class which has not got down well with any other nation. So-called Scottish fans are all over the various rugby forums inferring that the Japanese are somehow ducking the game which is even worse. They actually beat Ireland and comfortably so, lest we forget. Of course this doesn't mean they're a cert to beat Scotland, but they'll certainly not fear them either. Implying they are running scared is as disgraceful as it is inaccurate.

I accept your opinions but dont agree with them.

Anti Scotland conspiracy? Thats a new one on me.

I maintain, if this was England or NZ, there would be a different view from Rugby authorities. 

If you want to read a neutral viewpoint google Tom English, or as previously suggested Brian Moore. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

I accept your opinions but dont agree with them.

Anti Scotland conspiracy? Thats a new one on me.

I maintain, if this was England or NZ, there would be a different view from Rugby authorities. 

If you want to read a neutral viewpoint google Tom English, or as previously suggested Brian Moore. 

OK so what is it you dispute? That you were poor against Ireland? That Japan are not running scared? That the threat of legal action has been made before the game has even been cancelled? 

And I'm not sure how you can say you know of no conspiracy theory by which Scotland are being unfairly treated then immediately state that ENG or NZ would be treated differently were they in this situation. I'm afraid you've not really thought that through!

Anyway, let's hope the game goes ahead as I fear the aftermath will drive everyone nuts if it does not. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned for the RFU too as the one thing we apparently do agree on is that contingency plans should have been put in place to avoid ANY games being cancelled.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I would imagine right at this moment, Scotland are wishing the game wasn't going ahead.

2 absolutely tremendous handling tries from Japan. And an absolutely cracking game played at pace. Scotland vastly improved from when I saw them against Ireland.

Its turning out to be a fantastic game of Rugby.

The game of the Championship by a country mile. Japan irresistible in the first half, Scotland indomitable in the second. That gentlemen, is what rugby is all about and I've never heard an atmosphere like it at any sporting event ever. Hard lines for the Scots but kudos to a Japan side showing true Samurai spirit. What a world cup this has been. Breathless! 

Not long now until a huge QF face-off with the Ozzies, here's some pre-match musings for those who might not be rugby nuts but have caught the bug! 

It seems we have a full complement of players available and Eddie has reverted to tried and tested combos with the added benefit of having all of his first choices available for selection.

There's been a lot of head-scratching over the selection of Farrell at 10 with Ford dropping to the bench. Certainly it's a tough break for the latter given he could quite rightly claim to have been our best performer thus far, but in dropping Ford, Jones makes space for Slade at centre alongside Manu and fitness concerns aside, a back 5 of those two with May and Watson at 11 and 14 with Daly at fullback will certainly not be something the Australians will relish facing.

The bish-bosh brothers are reunited with Mako replacing an unlucky Joe Marler at loosehead and brother Billy having shaken off the ankle sprain that saw him subbed off against the Pumas. Courtney Lawes comes in for George Kruis who can also consider himself unlucky but for me it's a horses for courses call and the right one for this game. Curry and Underhill are genuine jackals and at last we have a pair of breakdown warriors who can certainly give Hooper and Pocock (two of the very best out there) plenty to think about. Curry's tackle counts are crazy, he's developed into a really useful lineout option and he's got go-forward to spare. As for Underhill, well he's as mad as a cat in a box and would tackle a London bus if told to do so. Nuff said!

All of this means that Eddie's finishers, other than those already mentioned, are Cowan-Dickie, Cole, Ludlam, Heinz and Joseph which is some bench and in what is likely to be a tight game, that strength in depth may prove decisive. I'd be surprised if any of them fail to get a run-out at some point.

In form terms, England have the edge. They've won their last 6 H2H against the Wallabies but the previous game was the humbling at Twickenham that dumped us out of RWC 2015, this despite Welsh claims to the contrary! I do fear them somewhat as they are certainly capable of beating us, but whilst their pack will be more closely matched with ours than of late and their 46-27 humbling of the Kiwis in the Rugby Championship illustrates how dangerous they can be, their recent form is quite patchy. Somewhat typically, after beating the ABs they were then routed 36-0 in the return fixture at Eden Park which tells it's own story. Conversely, had Cheika not inexplicably started Foley at 10 ahead of Lealifano, they'd be top of their group and we'd be playing the Welsh instead. No easy game then unless we really turn it on.

My finger in air guesses for those of you having a lucky fiver on the game are:

Points Margin: England by 7-9 points

Score Prediction: ENG 26 - AUS 17

First Try Scorer: Jonny May (boy's got wheels ?)

Enjoy the game chaps and feel free to ruin me post-match when all the above turns out to be utter nonsense! 

Archived