Egg Chasing WC

Van der MoodHoover

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm not watching because I'm in a field in Fife watching a drilling rig. Cheers boss.... Least its not raining.

Peeing down here. And in Yokohama. Scotland have stopped conceding cheaply but aren’t able to create much and Ireland choking the life out of the game.

sad to see for Scotland. They’ve managed to play completely the wrong game at the wrong times for the conditions.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Peeing down here. And in Yokohama. Scotland have stopped conceding cheaply but aren’t able to create much and Ireland choking the life out of the game.

sad to see for Scotland. They’ve managed to play completely the wrong game at the wrong times for the conditions.

Scotland are kind of at the Argentina or Figi level in terms of you'd expect the big nations to beat them most of the time, but they are a decent test side and capable of playing good rugby, sounds like one of those days where its not gone well and it needed to go well for it to be close. Sigh.

there's more games left in the group.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Scotland are kind of at the Argentina or Figi level in terms of you'd expect the big nations to beat them most of the time, but they are a decent test side and capable of playing good rugby, sounds like one of those days where its not gone well and it needed to go well for it to be close. Sigh.

there's more games left in the group.

This game was positioned as being to avoid coming 2nd and facing NZ in the quarters.

however the winner of the group is likely to face SA which is hardly a gimme.

a tough half of the draw for both nations.

it really hasn’t been Scotland’s day in terms of conditions and making little errors that led to big turnovers. But they’ve shown in the 2nd half that they have to play that high risk game. They don’t do the dull structural stuff well enough.

Samoa and Japan are going to be difficult. 

The Radio Scotland guys arnt holding back.  

Have to say that Ireland played well and made us look amateur at times. Theyve also got a fair bit of strength in depth. 

The Springbocks and them in the quarter finals will be an almighty arm wrestle. 

A solid performance even if we could have had 70+ today but for passes going unmade or astray. Time to get some rest into tired legs before ramping up for the Argies in 11 day's time. Much room for improvement but some good signs for sure, especially from George Ford who is absolutely at the top of his game right now. Tidy up the set pieces, protect the ball a little better and execute that final pass better and we won't too far away.

17 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Piers Francis is a liability. We've left 20 points out there due to him either not spotting support runners, missing them with passes, or cutting inside and away from men on his shoulder. Reaslly frustrating. Otherwise, England doing OK with what is basically a B team.

Not the only culprit either.  In that mad passage of play towards the end,  Anthony Watson beat his man , stood the last line of defence up and then passed the ball inside to a 2 man underlay along the ground.

Simple basic skills.

17 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not the only culprit either.  In that mad passage of play towards the end,  Anthony Watson beat his man , stood the last line of defence up and then passed the ball inside to a 2 man underlay along the ground.

Simple basic skills.

You're right there but I'll forgive Watson as by and large, he was electric with ball in hand and not only beat players but crossed the gain line on pretty much every carry. He seems to be getting back to the form that made him the most potent attacking threat in the Lions tour of New Zealand and that awdul passage of play aside, he could well be the gamechanger we need against the better sides.

Francis, on the other hand, on top of veing incredibly wasteful, was not far away from getting sent off inside 2 minutes of play and one line break aside, he offered nothing akin to the attacking threat of Manu, Slade or JJ, nor the options and tactical kicking that Farrell brings at 12. He may well be cited in which case do he'll not be playing for a game or two so I'll stop moaning about his performance now! On a general note, the second half the ball was like soap with the amount of dew settling (Japan's weather is bonkers!) so experiencing those conditions will hopefully stand us well should we have to play in them again. 

47 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You're right there but I'll forgive Watson as by and large, he was electric with ball in hand and not only beat players but crossed the gain line on pretty much every carry. He seems to be getting back to the form that made him the most potent attacking threat in the Lions tour of New Zealand and that awdul passage of play aside, he could well be the gamechanger we need against the better sides.

Francis, on the other hand, on top of veing incredibly wasteful, was not far away from getting sent off inside 2 minutes of play and one line break aside, he offered nothing akin to the attacking threat of Manu, Slade or JJ, nor the options and tactical kicking that Farrell brings at 12. He may well be cited in which case do he'll not be playing for a game or two so I'll stop moaning about his performance now! On a general note, the second half the ball was like soap with the amount of dew settling (Japan's weather is bonkers!) so experiencing those conditions will hopefully stand us well should we have to play in them again. 

Tbf I missed the first half as was on a work call. Is Francis one of eddies wild cards? But like Lewis Ludlam?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Tbf I missed the first half as was on a work call. Is Francis one of eddies wild cards? But like Lewis Ludlam?

Ludlam is a proper bolter. He was nearly released by Northamption last year as I recall but injuries gave him an opportunity and boy has he taken it. I thought he was excellent against the Yanks and looked right at home. He will be a really strong option off the bench at least but we have a oddly strong back row currently (not something I've said anytime since 2003!) with Curry, Billy and Sam Underhill looking the first choice group as things stand.

Francis is less of a surprise though he probably would not be there but for Ben Teo being a dick and having a punch up with Mike Brown which led to both being dropped from the squad. Brown probably wouldn't have made the cut but Teo definitely would have. Teo has since signed with Toulon which effectively ends his England career (you can't play abroad and for the England national team) and shows he was just a mercenary in any case and I'd far rather see any of the other combos really as Teo was just a smash it up the middle kind of player which doesn't work against better drilled defences. His loss...

8 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ludlam is a proper bolter. He was nearly released by Northamption last year as I recall but injuries gave him an opportunity and boy has he taken it. I thought he was excellent against the Yanks and looked right at home. He will be a really strong option off the bench at least but we have a oddly strong back row currently (not something I've said anytime since 2003!) with Curry, Billy and Sam Underhill looking the first choice group as things stand.

Francis is less of a surprise though he probably would not be there but for Ben Teo being a dick and having a punch up with Mike Brown which led to both being dropped from the squad. Brown probably wouldn't have made the cut but Teo definitely would have. Teo has since signed with Toulon which effectively ends his England career (you can't play abroad and for the England national team) and shows he was just a mercenary in any case and I'd far rather see any of the other combos really as Teo was just a smash it up the middle kind of player which doesn't work against better drilled defences. His loss...

That’s starting to sound like subject matter expertise......where’s the mindless drivel I’m used to on other threads????

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Wow, Japan beating Ireland. That looks pretty bad for Scotland's chances.

Great for the tournament for the home side to be doing well. They play a great style, but I actually think their style will suit Scotland more than it did Ireland so that should be a great game.

Japan would probably give England a good go who similarly to Ireland like to play a "highly structured" (for which read set piece based game) whereas Japan deliberately seek to get the ball out of contact very quickly - something England and Ireland are not used to.

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Great for the tournament for the home side to be doing well. They play a great style, but I actually think their style will suit Scotland more than it did Ireland so that should be a great game.

Japan would probably give England a good go who similarly to Ireland like to play a "highly structured" (for which read set piece based game) whereas Japan deliberately seek to get the ball out of contact very quickly - something England and Ireland are not used to.

England wouldnt miss that many tackles I dont think or any of our 10s be so brainless in game management. Well done Japan. Be so SO fun to have a tier 2 team out of the group.

Archived