How to take a penalty

Carl Sagan

Waggy's penalty on Saturday was well and confidently struck but a relatively easy save because the keeper knew what to expect. I first saw this when Martin Taylor made his brilliant penalty save in the Anglo-Italian cup final. Like the Swansea team, he'd done his research and said he always knew he was going to save it. Here's the Swansea view:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-boss-expected-martyn-3197852

We've been brilliant over the last season with our pens  (an amazing 100% record in-play and in shootouts), but as the season went on the strikes got lower (a sign of more pressure or a lack of confidence) when penalties are only unstoppable if the striker goes high into the corners.

My take is that Harry Wilson could better afford to go low because he watched the keeper and if the keeper didn't move before the strike he knew he was hitting it hard enough to make it into the corner before the dive reached it. Waggy just belted it with the keeper already on his way. Even so, Wilson was cutting it fine against Leeds etc.

Here's a Wired piece on penalty taking success https://www.wired.co.uk/article/world-cup-penalty-shootout-perfect-penalty-england

I hope the save at the weekend causes a rethink with our coaching. Either you watch the keeper and have the ability and confidence to adapt your kick or you whack it high into the top corner. With the cup this week and a possible shootout it's the perfect time to be practising to get our penalties back on track.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Even with Harry plying his trad elsewhere, we still have the best penalty taker in the side available. Step forward Captain Keogh, a man with nerves of steel ?

I have wondered if Keogh should be taking them. Always been superb. 

I just remembered being the guest of another club at the other place down the Brian Clough Way a couple of seasons back where their goalkeeping coach left behind their pre-prepared penalty dossier with 7 or 8 potential takers including our Kieran. Rude not to "liberate" it after the game. 

IMG_20181030_230118.thumb.jpg.76e50d9f419cc76bf79067ef90acf2b7.jpg

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I have wondered if Keogh should be taking them. Always been superb. 

I just remembered being the guest of another club at the other place down the Brian Clough Way a couple of seasons back where their goalkeeping coach left behind their pre-prepared penalty dossier with 7 or 8 potential takers including our Kieran. Rude not to "liberate" it after the game. 

IMG_20181030_230118.thumb.jpg.76e50d9f419cc76bf79067ef90acf2b7.jpg

Gold dust mate! Get it framed, sharpish! ?

Lot of baloney on here. Foot in, foot down with pace. Job done. Keepers cant dive up and across in time. 

My old man kept a record. I took over 70 pens. Never missed one with that rule

All relative I know. The moment you go central or low you're giving the keeper a chance.

Foot down, foot in. Still gives a bit of leeway. If you can't get it somewhere in that area you shoudn't be playing football never mind taking a peno.

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Good penalty/bad penalty is a myth. Too much read into it.

If it goes in it's good and nobody cares or remembers. If it doesn't it's bad and nobody forgets.

You're probably one of those people who thinks penalty shootouts are a lottery. 

1 hour ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

Lot of baloney on here. Foot in, foot down with pace. Job done. Keepers cant dive up and across in time. 

All relative I know. The moment you go central or low you're giving the keeper a chance.

Foot down, foot in. Still gives a bit of leeway. If you can't get it somewhere in that area you shoudn't be playing football never mind taking a peno.

This. 

A professional footballer should not even need a run up, from 12 yards should be able to put it out of keepers reach with ease.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You're probably one of those people who thinks penalty shootouts are a lottery. 

I'm probably not though.

I've never heard anyone say "that was a bad penalty" when it's gone in. 

Trying to define what makes a good one is like trying to answer some philosophical riddle.

7 hours ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

If you’re Jonny Wilkinson or any other rugby penalty taker, you practice and practice until you know your run up, where and how you strike the ball, where your standing foot lands etc until you achieve the same result over and over again.

If you are a footballer, the same should apply. If you know 100% that if you strike the ball in the right fashion it will hit the top corner, there’s not a keeper in the world who could save it, especially under the new rules about moving.

Archived