How to take a penalty

Carl Sagan

4 hours ago, Owd miner said:

Am I reading this reet?? You lot on here trying ta tell professional  footballers how ta tek a peno..... really...ffs ... Hilda !!!!!!!

In fairness, every single one of Waghorn's penalties this season has been at a save-able height, if you're gonna do that, it's got to be dead in the corners a la Wilson, if not, vary your height to keep the GK guessing?

Salah's yesterday is an example of a great penalty: disguises his intent by feigning to go bottom right and then smashes it top left, completely unsaveable and that's purely down to technique. Even if the keeper guesses the right way, there's no stopping it; none of Waghorn's have been like that yet... There's a reason being a good penalty taker is its own trait

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2019 at 00:30, Carl Sagan said:

You're probably one of those people who thinks penalty shootouts are a lottery. 

how would you answer this fact  Yaya Toure has taken 16 penalties in official competitive games, and has not missed a SINGLE one. Quite astonishing. There is no player in the history of football who has never missed a penalty.

5 hours ago, rynny said:

I find it funny the people saying he should have gone the same way as the first, and I'm sure those people would be saying that you should never go the same way if Waghorn had gone the same way and it was saved. 

His 2nd penalty was right in the corner, it was just a really good save (which he was way off his line for and should have been retaken). 

Why does a saved penalty mean it was a poor penalty? 

Because if it's saved then how could it have been a good penalty? A good penalty is hit hard and goes in the top corner. Not sure I've ever seen a keeper save one that is struck there. 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Because if it's saved then how could it have been a good penalty? A good penalty is hit hard and goes in the top corner. Not sure I've ever seen a keeper save one that is struck there. 

So what you are saying is , there's no such thing as a Keeper making the right decision and pulling off a good save.......only poorly taken penalties ?  So the Keeper has nothing to do with it ? 

You've confused me 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

So by your definition any penalty that isn't hit hard in the top corner is a poor penalty? 

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

So by your definition any penalty that isn't hit hard in the top corner is a poor penalty? 

Theres more than just good and bad, if the keeper saves it it's obviously not a good one unless the save is truly sensational which it wasn't the other day, Waghorn' s pen was an average one but the fact all 4 of his pens so far this season have been distinctly average with 2 saved is what has raised alarm bells.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Yes was always coached that you should make sure the keeper's out of the equation first. The only way that they could save it then is illegally 

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Yes!

Thats it. Smash it.

Perhaps we should add this to the pre-match jingle, just after the poem ?

5 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

how would you answer this fact  Yaya Toure has taken 16 penalties in official competitive games, and has not missed a SINGLE one. Quite astonishing. There is no player in the history of football who has never missed a penalty.

I don't understand why you're quoting me on this. I'm saying penalties are about skill and relentless practising and are in no way a lottery. So I presume from your assertion that Yaya Toure was a very good penalty taker who took this on board. 

If he'd scored we would not be having this nonsensical debate. Too many Armchair managers who play FIFA and are "experts" . Over a season players miss penalties , scuff free kicks and miss blindingly simple tap ins from two feet. These things even them selves out over a season.  So if we had the extra points we would be top , how did that finish for        L€€ds last season ? . Take a chill pill 

6 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

In fairness, every single one of Waghorn's penalties this season has been at a save-able height, if you're gonna do that, it's got to be dead in the corners a la Wilson, if not, vary your height to keep the GK guessing?

Salah's yesterday is an example of a great penalty: disguises his intent by feigning to go bottom right and then smashes it top left, completely unsaveable and that's purely down to technique. Even if the keeper guesses the right way, there's no stopping it; none of Waghorn's have been like that yet... There's a reason being a good penalty taker is its own trait

Yes have to agree. I would say 2 in 4 reflects the quality of the spot kicks taken by Waghorn. To his credit, he is obviously willing to 'step up  to the plate'. Having said that, if Martyn Waghorn is our best penalty taker (by consensus), then we are probably not going to have a high ratio of penalty success this season. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't understand why you're quoting me on this. I'm saying penalties are about skill and relentless practising and are in no way a lottery. So I presume from your assertion that Yaya Toure was a very good penalty taker who took this on board. 

i was just pointing out of all the profesional players that have taken penalties there is only one player who can boast a 100% success rates.To me this means its not all about relentless practise,if only it was as easy as you maintain(which is obviously untrue)

Archived