How to take a penalty

Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

How was that penalty not retaken? Isn't the goalkeeper prohibited from moving forwards? Or am I mistaken?

345715E3-9B17-4295-8D0E-3460604BF2DA.jpeg

the rule trialled at the Womens World Cup is that keeper has to have at least part of 1 foot on the goalline as the ball is struck. I couldn't quite tell from the footage whether the toe of the trailing leg was just about on the line (even though the keeper was diving forwards) as Abraham struck the ball.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2019 at 07:46, Mazzaram said:

Best penalty taker over a sustained period I've ever seen at Derby was Gladys Hinton. Missed one or two, but usually unstoppable. Great player.

Scholes beat Le Tissier 50*49 in a penalty completion at an England training camp. Not sure what it did for GK confidence 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Scholes beat Le Tissier 50*49 in a penalty completion at an England training camp. Not sure what it did for GK confidence 

Remember watching England in the early 2000s dreading the prospect of our 'keepers facing penos.

Think back to the two shoot outs against Portugal - 2004 and 2006. David James and Paul Robinson pretty much just limply dropped down to the ground in an 'attempt' to save them. They never even got near a single one - a fact which says less about the penalty prowess of the Portuguese and more about the state of our goalkeepers at the time.

20 hours ago, TibshelfRam said:

Remember watching England in the early 2000s dreading the prospect of our 'keepers facing penos.

Think back to the two shoot outs against Portugal - 2004 and 2006. David James and Paul Robinson pretty much just limply dropped down to the ground in an 'attempt' to save them. They never even got near a single one - a fact which says less about the penalty prowess of the Portuguese and more about the state of our goalkeepers at the time.

Shilts was dreadful at penos and did much the same in 1990, but he was still a legend.......?

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Waghorn again has a pen saved, picking his default spot, low to the keeper's left. The keeper knows this is where it's going. I'd say around an 80% chance of being saved. He has to go high. He never goes high. He should not be on penalty duty.

Why couldn't Dowell or Lawrence take them, or any player with more ball control than Waghorn? None of his penalties have been well executed, even the ones he scored.

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Waghorn again has a pen saved, picking his default spot, low to the keeper's left. The keeper knows this is where it's going. I'd say around an 80% chance of being saved. He has to go high. He never goes high. He should not be on penalty duty.

Should've gone the same corner as the first. I agree with you the keeper would guess he'd change sides.

30 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Marriott has to be on pens for me, Waghorn only ever scores them when he gets lucky, he never strikes the ball properly hard into the corners.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why couldn't Dowell or Lawrence take them, or any player with more ball control than Waghorn? None of his penalties have been well executed, even the ones he scored.

Dowell??!! He’d waltz up half arsed, probably not even watching, and sky it. Then just shrug his shoulders and carry on

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Dowell??!! He’d waltz up half arsed, probably not even watching, and sky it. Then just shrug his shoulders and carry on

? Yeah I was trying to be nice to him. He's done nothing so far. Plus this game he stopped some really good attacks continuing. 

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not a fan of Waghorn’s penalty’s but the two he hasn’t scored we’re both well struck and well saved unlike the one at stoke which wasn’t good apart from the result 

Well struck but not particularly well placed. 

4 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Waghorn has an angled run. Being left footed he can only shoot straight or the goalkeepers left.It narrows the options down to two instead of 3.

No it doesn’t, he can kick it whatever way he chooses, it was just a poor pen.

Jamie C was brought on to take a penalty for England after excelling in training, nothing can prepare you for that actual experience he said.

Only took one myself, 10 spectators and a dog watching, and still I felt that pressure, it was a shoot out to take us to the next round, my mind went blank and I missed it. One of the reasons why I wouldn’t comment on anyone’s technique, one thing taking them in a park with the kids and another in front of 26k. 

Just our of interest, Intake it you never missed one in your playing days ? 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I agree he needs to give the ball some height rather than just low and wide, unless he has the technique to wait for the keeper to dive first, or 'sit him down', and place the ball after this, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

If going low to one side or the other the guessing diving keeper has around a 50% chance of saving, rather than what should be a 70% penalty success rate. He scored his two down the middle but can't keep doing that.

I would naturally volunteer for penalty duties but sadly am only good at criticising others.

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Jamie C was brought on to take a penalty for England after excelling in training, nothing can prepare you for that actual experience he said.

Only took one myself, 10 spectators and a dog watching, and still I felt that pressure, it was a shoot out to take us to the next round, my mind went blank and I missed it. One of the reasons why I wouldn’t comment on anyone’s technique, one thing taking them in a park with the kids and another in front of 26k. 

Were you on a fair few thousand pounds a week?

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Oh and yeah I reluctantly took a penalty in a U15 semi final. Arse flapping in the wind, ran up and just hit it as hard as I could 

Archived