How to take a penalty

Carl Sagan

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I hope the save at the weekend causes a rethink with our coaching. Either you watch the keeper and have the ability and confidence to adapt your kick or you whack it high into the top corner. With the cup this week and a possible shootout it's the perfect time to be practising to get our penalties back on track.

Coaching for taking penalties ( or other things) can't lead to guaranteed results  - if it could football would be a different game.

You don't know what coaching instructions were , if any , and you don't know what Waghorn was trying to do. With more power he could have cored regardless of what the goalkeeper did. That you are telling our coaching staff what to do is laughable.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penalties certainly aren’t a lottery , you’re right Carl. It’s a mental battle as well trying to outsmart goalkeeper because they will more than likely know where you are going so it’s up to the striker to decide to strike the ball in the corner they are comfortable but risk it being saved or going the other corner but not being as comfortable shooting that way so risk other factors such as sitting it wide.

The key it to not look at the goalkeeper, the former Brazil and Valencia goalkeeper Diego alves was an expert at striking fear into penalty takers and has one of the best penalty save percentages as a result. They say he even struck fear into Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi and they used to poo themselves at the thought of facing him because his eyes were so intimidating. Hitting it down the middle with a slight delay  (not too long a delay though) and avoiding eye contact with the goalkeeper seems to be a safer option from a penalty taker point of view. 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

"Since 2009 almost 100,000 penalty shots have been taken on football pitches around the globe. 75.49% of those resulted in goals"

http://instatsport.com/football/article/penalty_research

We're expected to miss 1 in 4.

Which is Waghorn's record for us outside of shoot-outs.

Took 3, scored 3 last season.

I don't recall if he was involved in either of our cup shoot-outs. 

18 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Waggy's penalty on Saturday was well and confidently struck but a relatively easy save because the keeper knew what to expect. I first saw this when Martin Taylor made his brilliant penalty save in the Anglo-Italian cup final. Like the Swansea team, he'd done his research and said he always knew he was going to save it.

Some you win, some you lose ?‍♂️

As long as people step up and hit the ball like it's got Bamford's face on it I don't blame them if the keeper saves it - Going for a top corner is tricky so understandable why players try to keep it lower - And at that point if the keeper guesses the right way they have a decent chance of getting to it 

2 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

Best penalty taker over a sustained period I've ever seen at Derby was Gladys Hinton. Missed one or two, but usually unstoppable. Great player.

That one v Juventus though...what a time to miss grrr.

2 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

Best penalty taker over a sustained period I've ever seen at Derby was Gladys Hinton. Missed one or two, but usually unstoppable. Great player.

Trevor Christie - I only ever remember one that he took but I'll remember it forever

20 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Chris Martin is good at pens. I remember his Fulham League cup pen when we won 4-1. I think it made it 1-1. Right in the top corner like a bullet. 

Chris Martin Career Penalty Record :-

24 Penalties Taken - 15 Scored  9 Missed   62.5% Success Rate

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris-martin/elfmetertore/spieler/46154

Martyn Waghorn Career Penalty Record :-

24 Penalties Taken - 21 Scored  3 Missed   87.5% Success Rate

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/martyn-waghorn/elfmetertore/spieler/61674

Waggy's career Penalty record is above average, and the Wardrobe's is below average.

26 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

Waggy's career Penalty record is above average, and the Wardrobe's is below average.

Of the 9 Martin missed;

1 was missed because there was snow on the ground, very slippy underfoot

2 were missed because of his oft reported stomach issues - he cramped just as he was about to kick

2 others were missed because we were away from home and the home fans were making a beastly noise. No one could have scored on those occasions

1 was missed at Craven Cottage because a freak breeze took the ball wide

1 was stopped by the keeper who pulled out an absolute worldie of a save; once in a lifetime leap to the top corner of the net

1 hit the post, and after the match it became clear that the upright was not within EFL stated dimensions.  A bit too thick supposedly.

1 he put into Row Z because after all he is only human.

l have posted this to save Roymac and Kash the bother.

Aim a penalty straight down the middle. As long as it's off the ground it goes in over 95% of the time.

Goalkeepers almost always dive, if they stand still and the penalty is scored, they get heavily chastised for "not even trying".

9 hours ago, mice_elf said:

That must be fake news regarding Martin's record ?

Mason goes high into the corner. Unstoppable, like all his Rams shootout pens:

Meanwhile. Tammy Abraham shoots low and risks having the keeper save it. And loses a European trophy.

Our penalty takers need to practice going high into the corner, over and over again.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Mason goes high into the corner. Unstoppable, like all his Rams shootout pens:

Meanwhile. Tammy Abraham shoots low and risks having the keeper save it. And loses a European trophy.

Our penalty takers need to practice going high into the corner, over and over again.

How was that penalty not retaken? Isn't the goalkeeper prohibited from moving forwards? Or am I mistaken?

345715E3-9B17-4295-8D0E-3460604BF2DA.jpeg

Archived