Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Carl Sagan

How to take a penalty

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Were you on a fair few thousand pounds a week?

Not sure what money has to do with it, other than show your lack of understanding of playing football. Players from both teams get paid, each team trying to beat the other, just because you get paid well for it, doesn’t mean you aren’t going to miss a penalty or give away a goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Not sure what money has to do with it, other than show your lack of understanding of playing football. Players from both teams get paid, each team trying to beat the other, just because you get paid well for it, doesn’t mean you aren’t going to miss a penalty or give away a goal. 

Hang on, someone posted that he missed a penalty in what read like a Sunday league game and compared it to Waghorns misses.

Im not here to slate MW.  Questioned his penalty duty. My post was the fact that these are professionals on more money than the people that run the country. I didn’t think it was a fair comparison that is all. 

I understand money isn’t every factor but it does come into criticism of performance. And  what do you know about my understanding of football?  Did I play? If I did what level? Do I coach? What level? Don’t assume people don’t understand football because you don’t agree with a post, or part of a post.

Edited by Ruda Harliss
👀

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Hang on, someone posted that he missed a penalty in what read like a Sunday league game and compared it to Waghorns misses.

Im not here to slate MW.  Questioned his penalty duty. My post was the fact that these are professionals on more money than the people that run the country. I didn’t think it was a fair comparison that is all. 

I understand money isn’t every factor but it does come into criticism of performance. And  what do you know about my understanding of football?  Did I play? If I did what level? Do I coach? What level? Don’t assume people don’t understand football because you don’t agree with a post, or part of a post.

I didn’t at any point compare his miss to Sunday football, for me it was a poor penalty, however my point was that no matter what level you play at, no amount of practice can prepare you for a match scenario.

Why does money have to come into the equation ? Just because you get paid several thousand means you have to score every pen ?Just seems  a strange stick to beat someone with, pogdba gets paid probably 10 times what Waghorn does, he also has missed a couple lately. 

Share this post


Link to post

Ok 

read posts properly. I never said YOU made the comparison just that I was responding to another post that did

I never said that being on loads of money ensures you don’t make a mistake, only that you will be judged on performance more than a Sunday league player. 

Now do I qualify to understand football as much as you? 

An expert obviously 

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I didn’t at any point compare his miss to Sunday football, for me it was a poor penalty, however my point was that no matter what level you play at, no amount of practice can prepare you for a match scenario.

Why does money have to come into the equation ? Just because you get paid several thousand means you have to score every pen ?Just seems  a strange stick to beat someone with, pogdba gets paid probably 10 times what Waghorn does, he also has missed a couple lately. 

Ok 

read posts properly. I never said YOU made the comparison just that I was responding to another post that did

I never said that being on loads of money ensures you don’t make a mistake, only that you will be judged on performance more than a Sunday league player. 

Now do I qualify to understand football as much as you? 

An expert obviously 


 

Share this post


Link to post

The point is waghorns pens have become so predictable now that there is just as much chance that the keeper will save it as it going in. He goes left, right or down the middle no height on it whatsoever. The keeper just needs to get to the ground and go the right way, then it is saved. It's too predictable and easy for the keeper. He's now taken 4 penalties this season. He's missed 2. That conversion rate isn't good enough. Needs to start changing where and how he is placing them or someone else needs to take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Ok 

read posts properly. I never said YOU made the comparison just that I was responding to another post that did

I never said that being on loads of money ensures you don’t make a mistake, only that you will be judged on performance more than a Sunday league player. 

Now do I qualify to understand football as much as you? 

An expert obviously 


 

I definitely don’t understand certain aspects of football, as I said in my original post, so yes probably 🙂

Share this post


Link to post

I find it funny the people saying he should have gone the same way as the first, and I'm sure those people would be saying that you should never go the same way if Waghorn had gone the same way and it was saved. 

His 2nd penalty was right in the corner, it was just a really good save (which he was way off his line for and should have been retaken). 

Why does a saved penalty mean it was a poor penalty? 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Precisely this. The second penalty was better than the first - just a brilliant save which does just sometimes happen. 

Loads of people posting on a forum questioning the technique of a professional footballer, you have to laugh. Waghorn will be taker because in training he scores more than anyone else. Don’t think Cocu is giving them to someone who can’t take them for a laugh 

Edit: was meant to quote @rynny

Edited by nottingram

Share this post


Link to post

He probably should have gone down the middle for the second penalty. As @SaintRam rightly pointed out previously, more likely than not, keepers will dive because if they stay still they will get criticised for not diving. I’d argue there was next to no chance Johnstone would have stayed his ground and stood still for the second penalty because he would have wanted to make up for Waghorn scoring his first penalty. If Johnstone had stayed still after Waghorn scored his first penalty , he’d have gotten a lot of criticism and Johnstone would have known that. 

Share this post


Link to post

It was a decent save but the odds of that happening are increased because of the predictability of Waghorn’s penalties. He either needs to vary them more or ideally stick it in the top corner where they’re unsaveable. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Am I reading this reet?? You lot on here trying ta tell professional  footballers how ta tek a peno..... really...ffs ... Hilda !!!!!!!

the good thing now is that wherever he goes - park, pub, petrol station - kind and helpful people will all be telling him exactly how to take one, and even demonstrating it for him. 

My advice when i see him will be to tell him to pretend he is german. Walk like a german, think like a german, and shout this at the keeper during the run up:  "Ich esse wurst und sauerkraut, du Schweinehund!"

Never fails.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nottingram said:

The second penalty was better than the first - just a brilliant save which does just sometimes happen

This is true mate but you can't argue with the facts. He's taken 4 penalties and scored 2. Keepers know what he's going to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

My 2 penneth, it was a decent penalty, well stuck, going in the corner... great save, my thoughts on some of the posts in this thread, we can all be wise with hindsight. End of.

PS. Watch on u tube...their penalty was hit in same way, exactly the same place, their keeper guessed right ours guessed wrong, so does that make it Roos fault ?

Edited by nfb

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

The point is waghorns pens have become so predictable now that there is just as much chance that the keeper will save it as it going in. He goes left, right or down the middle no height on it whatsoever. The keeper just needs to get to the ground and go the right way, then it is saved. It's too predictable and easy for the keeper. He's now taken 4 penalties this season. He's missed 2. That conversion rate isn't good enough. Needs to start changing where and how he is placing them or someone else needs to take it. 

I think this is the conclusion of the thread for me..

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

He probably should have gone down the middle for the second penalty. As @SaintRam rightly pointed out previously, more likely than not, keepers will dive because if they stay still they will get criticised for not diving. I’d argue there was next to no chance Johnstone would have stayed his ground and stood still for the second penalty because he would have wanted to make up for Waghorn scoring his first penalty. If Johnstone had stayed still after Waghorn scored his first penalty , he’d have gotten a lot of criticism and Johnstone would have known that. 

Firstly, you should never miss a penalty, It is such a simple basic task, pass the ball without hitting a person into a huge goal....BUT so many people, who do this for a living actually DO miss them...

secondly, goalkeepers never ever get any blame at all for not saving a penalty, they are on a no lose situation. The only time I heard any criticism was for Shilts in 1990 where he looked like my grandad trying to get to the penalties. 

Keeers should always just stand in the middle of the goal, they would save more than they ever would if they dived and wouldn’t be blamed if they didn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post

This should no longer be a problem as this thread has unearthed a vast array of penalty taking talent that’s obviously got high success levels at the top levels of the game on this forum.

The club just needs to draft a couple in as dead ball coaches and we’ll have a 100% record for the rest of the season.

its that simple afterall!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.