DCFC Awards Night 18/19

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

A quick look suggests Tomori is our 1st loanee to win the award. Great achievement given he didn't look that great when he arrived! 

Also bodes well for future loans now teams have seen how much loanees can improve here

You're not wrong. Tom Ince won young POTY during his loan spell, if I recall.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

We get £180m and can’t pay £10m for Tomori?

Where do you get that figure from? Even Man City only earned 150m TV money last year!

For clubs at the other end of the table, It's only 80m guaranteed. That money has to cover...

promotion bonuses from this season - likely around 10m

increased wage bill in the Prem - likely an extra 30m

which leaves about 40m for transfers.  Say 30m in the Summer and set aside 10m for January.

If Tomori will cost 10m or 15m then you are choosing to spend up to 50% of your Summer transfer budget on ONE player. 

And that's why we probably can't afford him. Even in the Prem.

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Where do you get that figure from? It's only 80m guaranteed. That money has to cover...

promotion bonuses from this season - likely around 10m

increased wage bill in the Prem - likely an extra 30m

which leaves about 40m for transfers.  Say 30m in the Summer and set aside 10m for January.

If Tomori will cost 10m or 15m then you are choosing to spend up to 50% of your Summer transfer budget on ONE player. 

And that's why we probably can't afford him. Even in the Prem.

WBA got £95m last season for last place. The rest would likely be the 3yrs parachute payments.

I'm delighted for Tomori, he's excellent and if you doubt he will one day play for England then you're wrong. Indeed, I'd argue that we have three future England internationals iin our team at the moment with Mount and one of Wilson or Bogle.

However, the bloke in the picture behind Keogh does get me thinking about how we improve players that we bring in. Not counting Academy but players we have wanted enough to pay a fee for.

In the current side / squad I would argue Keogh, Roos and Holmes are better players than the ones we bought but besides that I am struggling. Then if I go back through the years I would say Martin, Bryson, Russell and before that we're into Buxton and Commons.

It really is a poor show of our scouting capabilities for more than the last decade plus that we haven't been able to unearth a Wanchope, Davison or McFarland. OK - maybe not a McFarland but at least someone who we can see as a better player than the one we bought. I know that age is not helping but when I look at Nugent, Huddlestone, Baird, Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Anya, Wisdom, Pearce, Olsson, Ledley, etc. the bar is not getting raised and it has been the case for a long, long time.

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm delighted for Tomori, he's excellent and if you doubt he will one day play for England then you're wrong. Indeed, I'd argue that we have three future England internationals iin our team at the moment with Mount and one of Wilson or Bogle.

Wilson might struggle getting a game for England. 

Archived