The Politics Thread 2019

Day

43 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

They mean the BBC, and perhaps the Guardian as a little one.

Why would an undoubtedly 'left wing media giant' like the BBC spend so much time, money and effort fronting Nigel Farage's personality cult?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, eddie said:

You are implying that to protest against fascism is exactly the same as protesting in favour of fascism. I'm really struggling with such a blatant false dichotomy while trying hard not to come to a conclusion as to where your true sympathies lie..

It's simple really isn't it. What would the MDL be doing if there were no fascists rallying in the streets of their town? (Clue the answer is nothing)

It's not a chicken and egg situation - it's a Pest Control situation. "look at those terrible Rentokil fellas, going round destroying wasp's nests. THEY ARE AS BAD AS WASPS! THEY ARE THE REAL WASPS!"

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

You are implying that to protest against fascism is exactly the same as protesting in favour of fascism. I'm really struggling with such a blatant false dichotomy while trying hard not to come to a conclusion as to where your true sympathies lie.

What I'm saying is if you censor one side from talking, they rally behind that oppression.  Similarly, if you give the other side free reign they are justified in believing their cause is true.  In an ideal world (and yes I have been accused of being idealistic before) we should be free to talk issues through freely.

Moving away from race/religion another examples of media bias include the transgender issue - the conservative opinion is very science oriented in that men are men, women are women and there is a tiny fraction of a percentage of people who are genuinely medically transgender.  The other side of the coin is people are able to flip gender depending on how they feel when they wake up in a morning and others believing themselves as elfkin or reincarnated dragon spirits.  Commenting on one and you're seen as progressive, comment on another and you'll get a visit from the police to 'check your thinking'

1 hour ago, eddie said:

The headline related to the fall in output for a single month compared to the same month in 2018 - the graph relates to the 'rolling year' of production figures ending at the end of each April.  The message is the same - Brexit has already been an appalling burden for industry in the UK, and we haven't even left yet.

I do agree & our company has been hurting due to uncertainty.

However the car industry is currently in global decline and the UK situation is not helped by the recent demonisation of diesel cars in particular. Much of the April fall in output is also due to planned car plant shut-downs being brought forward - The timing of them is Brexit related but they would have happened in the summer anyway.

The BBC is very good at picking a bad news story and attributing it to Brexit, when there are usually many other contributing factors if they'd bother to look.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

The headline related to the fall in output for a single month compared to the same month in 2018 - the graph relates to the 'rolling year' of production figures ending at the end of each April.  The message is the same - Brexit has already been an appalling burden for industry in the UK, and we haven't even left yet.

Agreed

19 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The Sun? Ooof.

I picked the Sun as a random right leaning source, purposefully ignoring the Guardian and Independent etc else you would have thrown that at me.

My final comments on the subject are the fact that the grooming gang scandal was covered up, due in part to fear of being called racist (see the Jay Report) and the push to introduce blasphemy laws protecting Islam and 'muslimness' the UK;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/01/muslims-demand-full-legal-protection-from-islamophobia

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9093832/theresa-may-rejects-islamophobia-bill-blasphemy-law-back-door/

Meanwhile the Catholic sex scandal was one of the dominant stories in the media at the time;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_coverage_of_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The BBC is very good at picking a bad news story and attributing it to Brexit, when there are usually many other contributing factors if they'd bother to look.

Mike Hawes, SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT)) chief executive, said: "Today's figures are evidence of the vast cost and upheaval Brexit uncertainty has already wrought on UK automotive manufacturing businesses and workers."

Not the BBC attributing it but the SMMT - the trade association for motor manufacture. Can't blame those commies at the BBC for that.

22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Question 

Do people advocating a people’s vote want to remain in the EU full stop. 

Yes, probably.

I have certainly never come across any Leave supporters asking for another vote.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yes, probably.

I have certainly never come across any Leave supporters asking for another vote.

If the result had been the other way round in 2016 will all the government machine thrown at remain I doubt people would be advocating a people’s vote now. 

Oh well as I’ve said all along the political elite won’t let us leave the EU .

Lets hope the remainers  are right and we will prosper like we always have ha ha 

31 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Why can you tell me. 

Also can we remain on the same terms we have now !

I started responding, but realised there's 86 pages of explanation behind this post. I'm not repeating things I've said a dozen times already.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

You wait and see what the retribution will be from the EU if we plead to remain now. 

I suspect our rebate will be ceased. 

What can they do about it if we invoke article 50? We remain with all our current agreements in place, including the discount and the veto. They can't unilaterally decide to change what's been agreed.

Are you beginning to think it may be worth staying if we could guarantee we don't lose our current position within the EU? Sounds like you may be.

Archived