The Politics Thread 2019

Day

12 hours ago, jono said:

The thing about Corbyn and Brexit isn’t whether he is for or against or sitting on the fence. It’s this assumption that he or the Labour Party could somehow get the Europeans to suddenly give us a super dooper deal with all sorts of extras and concessions that the haven’t been available to the current government. Really ? And then we’d get another referendum where he reckons all his party will then get behind the will of the people whatever it is. ... nope .. ground hog day 

I agree with your point jono.

However, I do think it's a feature of the whole BREXIT/post-BREXIT era to come comedy that all our politicians, of every party, seem to think they will be able to do those 'mates rates' superdooper deals with all the significant trading blocs/nations around the world.

Truth is, we have a lot less real mates than we thing we have.

Historically most trade deals see one side being shafted, and we could be in line for some barbed wire enemas.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I agree with your point jono.

However, I do think it's a feature of the whole BREXIT/post-BREXIT era to come comedy that all our politicians, of every party, seem to think they will be able to do those 'mates rates' superdooper deals with all the significant trading blocs/nations around the world.

Truth is, we have a lot less real mates than we thing we have.

Historically most trade deals see one side being shafted, and we could be in line for some barbed wire enemas.

From a personal perspective I would have preferred to remain and give the enemas to the EU which is fat, self important and self serving from a cost and administration point of view, but is, as a civilising ethical principle  absolutely something we should belong to. 

41 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They must be feeling a bit uneasy down at the Daily Mail, having to criticise the Labour Party for anti-semitism.

The world is truly upside down when a man who has devoted his whole life to peace is called a racist by a paper that was one of Hitlers biggest fans.

Corbyn an anti-semite? I'll just leave this here then...

Corbyn organised the Apr. 1977 defence of Jewish populated Wood Green from a Neo-Nazi march

EDM3933 7 Nov. 1990: Corbyn signs motion condemning the rise of antisemitism

EDM634, 11 Apr. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion condemning David Irving for being a Holocaust Denier

EDM1124, 6 Nov. 2000: Jeremy Corbyn praised the ‘British Schindler’, Bill Barazetti, for his WW2 kindertransport

EDM742, 28 Jan. 2002: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion praising football clubs for commemorating Holocaust Day

EDM1233 30 Apr. 2002: Corbyn was a primary sponsor on a motion condemning antisemitism

11 May 2002: Jeremy led a clean up of Finsbury Park Synagogue after an anti-Semitic attack

EDM1691, 23 July 2002: Corbyn condemned attacks on a synagogue in Swansea

EDM123 26 Nov. 2003: Corbyn officially condemns attacks on 2 Istanbul synagogues

EDM298, 16 Dec. 2003: Jeremy Corbyn signs motion commemorating International Holocaust Day

2004: Jeremy condemned news that anti-Semitic hate crimes had risen for yet another year

EDM461, 21 Jan. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the French government’s moves to ban the Jewish Kippa in French Schools

EDM717, 26 Feb. 2004: Jeremy signed a motion praising Simon Wiesenthal for bringing Nazi perpetrators of the Holocaust to justice

EDM1613, 8 Sept. 2004: Corbyn co-sponsored a bill expressing fears for the future of the United Synagogue Pension Scheme

EDM1699, 11 Oct. 2004: Jeremy Corbyn condemned arbitrary attacks on civilians in Israel and Palestine

EDM482, 12 Jan. 2005: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day

EDM343, 16 June 2005: Jeremy condemned the desecration of a Jewish cemetery in east London

EDM1343, 11 Jan. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion commemorating International Holocaust Day

EDM1774, 8 Mar. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn led condemnations of an Iranian Magazine soliciting cartoons about the Holocaust

EDM1267, 16 Apr. 2006: Jeremy Corbyn condemned Bryan Ferry for anti-Semitic remarks

EDM2414, 26 June 2006: Jeremy Corbyn praised British war veterans for their efforts to combat the Holocaust

EDM2705, 10 Oct. 2006: Jeremy signed a motion marking the 70th anniversary of Cable Street

EDM271, 14 Nov. 2007: Jeremy co-sponsored a motion lamenting the poverty and social exclusion East London Jews suffered

EDM153, 12 May 2008: Corbyn praised the efforts of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto during the uprising of 1944

EDM2350, 27 Oct 2008: Jeremy Corbyn signs a motion marking the 70th anniversary of the horrors of the holocaust

EDM173, 8 Dec. 2008: Jeremy condemned the Press Complaints Commission for refusing to sanction The Times for antisemitism

EDM461, 14 Jan. 2009: Jeremy Corbyn condemned a wave of recent anti-Semitic incidents targeted

EDM605, 27 Jan. 2009: Corbyn signed John Mann’s motion condemning antisemitism on university campuses

EDM917 26 Feb. 2009: Jeremy signs a motion condemning antisemitism on the internet

EDM1175 24 Mar. 2009: Corbyn signs a motion praising the heroism of British Jews during Holocaust

EDM337, 2 Dec. 2009: Jeremy Condemned Iran’s treatment of Jewish minorities in Iran

EDM850 9 Feb. 2010: Jeremy joins in calls for Facebook to do more to fight antisemitism

EDM891: 22 Feb 2010: Corbyn co-sponsors a motion calling for Yemen’s Jews to be given refugee status to the UK

EDM908 27 Oct. 2010: Corbyn praises work of late Israeli PM in his pursuit of a 2 state solution

EDM1360, 27 Jan. 2011: Corbyn co-sponsored a motion praising the ‘never again for anyone initiative’

EDM1527, 3 Mar. 2011: Corbyn backed Ian Paisley’s motion condemning the anti-Semitic remarks of Dior’s lead fashion designer

EDM2870, 14 Mar. 2012: Jeremy Corbyn condemned the sale of Nazi memorabilia at an auction in Bristol

EDM2866, 14 Mar 2012: Jeremy Corbyn co-sponsored a bill condemning the rise of antisemitism in Lithuania

EDM2899, 20 Mar. 2012, Jeremy Corbyn condemned a terrorist attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse

EDM168, 12 June 2012, Jeremy co-sponsored a motion condemning anti-Semitic attacks during EURO 2012 in Poland

EDM 195 13 June 2012: Jeremy attacks BBC for cutting Jewish programmes from Its schedule

EDM 1133 1 Mar 2013: Corbyn joins a chorus of calls condemning antisemitism In sport

1 Oct. 2013: Corbyn was one of the few MPs who defended Ralph Miliband from Daily Mail antisemitism

EDM 932 9 Jan 2014: Jeremy praises Holocaust Memorial’s work on antisemitism education

EDM 165 22 June 2015: Jeremy condemns a Neo-Nazi rally planned for a Jewish area of London

Sat 4 July 2015: Jeremy co-planned a counter-fascist demo in defence of Jewish residents at Golders Green. The march was re-routed

18 Nov. 2015, Corbyn used one of his first PMQs to challenge Cameron to do more on antisemiUsm

9 Oct 2016: Corbyn, close to tears, leads commemoration of the Battle of Cable Street

3 Dec. 2016: Corbyn visits Terezin Concentration Camp to commemorate Holocaust victims

In 2017-19 Jeremy introduced 20 new measures to combat antisemitism in the Labour Party

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

So, documents are released which shows that there's trade talks between London and Washington and the NHS is on the table.

Everyone still happy to let Boris lead this country?

If true, it's a massive problem for the Tories.

Let's wait for the analysis of the documents. Waving them round at a press conference doesn't constitute proof that anything has actually been agreed.

10 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Let's wait for the analysis of the documents. Waving them round at a press conference doesn't constitute proof that anything has actually been agreed.

Would you be shocked if it were true?

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They must be feeling a bit uneasy down at the Daily Mail, having to criticise the Labour Party for anti-semitism.

I haven't been involved with any Labour activists since the 1980s. The chair of our branch of the Labour Students was a gay Jewish lad, and nobody had problems with him on account of him being gay or Jewish. What has happened in the meantime?

13 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Not looking terribly clever though is it? The fact that they've been horsetrading the NHS for several years now whilst simultaneously denying any such trade talks had taken place will be enough for most folk. In any case it appears that some agreements have been reached... 

On medicine pricing, he (Corbyn) said discussions had already been concluded between the two sides on lengthening patents. ‘Longer patents can only mean one thing – more expensive drugs. Lives will be put at risk as a result of this,’ he said.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/27/jeremy-corbyn-says-proof-tories-put-nhs-table-us-trade-talks-11226077/?ito=cbshare

The wheels are coming right off the Tory bandwagon it seems.

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Would you be shocked if it were true?

I would be shocked and disgusted if anything had been agreed & hidden or lied about.

I wouldn't be surprised if the subject came up in discussion. If trade deals are the subject, I would be surprised if it wasn't mentioned & minuted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50562518

The UK has one of the most extreme forms of capitalism in the world and we urgently need to rethink the role of business in society. That's according to Prof Colin Mayer, author of a new report on the future of the corporation for the British Academy.

Prof Mayer says that global crises such as the environment and growing inequality are forcing a reassessment of what business is for.

"The corporation has failed to deliver benefit beyond shareholders, to its stakeholders and its wider community," he said.

"At the moment, how we conceptualise business is, it's there to make money. But instead, we should think about it as an incredibly powerful tool for solving our problems in the world."

He said the ownership structure of companies had made the UK one of the worst examples of responsible capitalism.

Interesting how many people repeat the mantra they've had fed to them that we cannot afford Labour's investment plans, but the real question is - can we afford not to radically change the way we run businesses in this country?

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not looking terribly clever though is it? The fact that they've been horsetrading the NHS for several years now whilst simultaneously denying any such trade talks had taken place will be enough for most folk. In any case it appears that some agreements have been reached... 

On medicine pricing, he (Corbyn) said discussions had already been concluded between the two sides on lengthening patents. ‘Longer patents can only mean one thing – more expensive drugs. Lives will be put at risk as a result of this,’ he said.

Like I said. No proof of this. Yet.

As for the patents thing. That could potentially benefit UK drug companies as well

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You could be right & deservedly so, if true.

Again, I'm going to vote with Labour in this election. I do have a problem with a lot of the Corbyn diehards (usually uni students on social media) though.

When a Muslim raises the idea that the Tory party is Islamophobic, the aforementioned diehards jump on it and pelt the Tories for promoting Islamophobia. However, whenever an article is published, featuring Jewish people expressing their fear of anti-semitism within the Left, they don't give them the time of day. I have absolutely no experience in either form of discrimination, so I can't say whether one is more rife than the other, but I do feel uncomfortable about the blatant partisan approach that is taken. Is it because of their views on Israel? Or because of the fact that it's more obvious on the surface that Muslims are a minority? I don't really know.

17 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50562518

Interesting how many people repeat the mantra they've had fed to them that we cannot afford Labour's investment plans, but the real question is - can we afford not to radically change the way we run businesses in this country?

Well Corbyn's solution to this is to make sure there are no businesses left in the country & plenty of people are willing to blindly follow that as well.

See?, I can do the "people who don't agree with me are stupid" thing as well.

9 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Well Corbyn's solution to this is to make sure there are no businesses left in the country & plenty of people are willing to blindly follow that as well.

See?, I can do the "people who don't agree with me are stupid" thing as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.5efc2f2efb2f58b90a8489430fbcbbc4.jpeg

Archived