The Politics Thread 2019

Day

39 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Would you have stayed or left? Was the whole thing racist? Is it now being used as a political football?

He apologised, why should he resign?

I despise JRM and I am aware that it influences my thoughts.  To be fair when you read the whole commentary it is fairly balanced but really it was a stupid comment to make and was bound to ge this type of response.  

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spanish said:

I despise JRM and I am aware that it influences my thoughts.  To be fair when you read the whole commentary it is fairly balanced but really it was a stupid comment to make and was bound to ge this type of response.  

Most interviews nowadays (not this one by the way), seem to be just intent on getting someone to say a single wrong word or commit to certainty something 12 months away. Ridiculous. 

I feel for people being interviewed now, it's a complete mine field for them. One wrong facial expression, a wrong word, a slow response and the pack descend on them. It's probably why they never answer the question anymore and just spout some pre-prepared sound bite. Personally, I would rather excuse a slip of the tongue and get an answer. That goes for both sides of the divide. 

35 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

You're not popular on here.. You should consider resignation. ?

I would be looking to leave straight away from any burning building. Always cracks me up that hindsight holds everyone to account on these things. 

Staying put does actually make some sense. Fire doors, falling debris etc etc. However I would still get my family out asap.

Without getting into fire safety I think the advice of staying put would be the correct thing to do if there’s a fire in a tower block unless it is on the outside spreading all throughout the block. I suspect the fire risk assessment was to advise people to stay put but in hindsight for this particular fire it was the wrong thing to do. 

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Most interviews nowadays (not this one by the way), seem to be just intent on getting someone to say a single wrong word or commit to certainty something 12 months away. Ridiculous. 

I feel for people being interviewed now, it's a complete mine field for them. One wrong facial expression, a wrong word, a slow response and the pack descend on them. It's probably why they never answer the question anymore and just spout some pre-prepared sound bite. Personally, I would rather excuse a slip of the tongue and get an answer. That goes for both sides of the divide. 

yep but we see it on here.  People divided by hard and fast beliefs totally unwilling to accept that another's view has any worth even if you disagree with it.  Politicians are paid to be good at dealing with the press and there is some belief that being good at it makes you a good politician which could well be wrong.  I find it strange though that some of the questions are quite obvious and if you are not word perfect in the response what the hell are they doing?  

1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

Without getting into fire safety I think the advice of staying put would be the correct thing to do if there’s a fire in a tower block unless it is on the outside spreading all throughout the block. I suspect the fire risk assessment was to advise people to stay put but in hindsight for this particular fire it was the wrong thing to do. 

yep it has been recognised as wrong.  the worry was that having everybody leave would cause problems in the escape routes which is true.  Problem is they factored in that it would be possible to organise an orderly exit but the cladding just took the fire up too quickly.

10 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

24 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Agree - I think we touched on this in one of the old removed threads. The main driving reason for this shift is the internet-era business model for media channels.

They need engagement to survive. What better way than to report a contentious or polarising point? Sit back and take the ad revenue

I think I saw it expressed best as "the aim of the media at the moment is not to cast light but to generate heat"

34 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I feel for people being interviewed now, it's a complete mine field for them. One wrong facial expression, a wrong word, a slow response and the pack descend on them. It's probably why they never answer the question anymore and just spout some pre-prepared sound bite. Personally, I would rather excuse a slip of the tongue and get an answer, as long as it's not Diane Abbott. That goes for both sides of the divide. 

FTFY

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I can think of 5 of us..

@SchtivePesley might come but will expect you to pay for everything. @Highgate might as well but nobody will have a scooby what he is on about. @McRamFan will bring the chips but might only send us a link of him with said chips on his shoulder.

Well if interest is high I will lay on a bus, just need to get it back from the Leave campaign first.

Wonder if Bound2Tease will be attending or if he will still be doing his door knock around Looe to see if anyone saw a fat bald man on 31st October.

39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well if interest is high I will lay on a bus, just need to get it back from the Leave campaign first.

Wonder if Bound2Tease will be attending or if he will still be doing his door knock around Looe to see if anyone saw a fat bald man on 31st October.

Yeah but you were wearing a G-Star hat. How do we know you are bald? 

Archived