'suspicious' man outside Derby County's training ground

minesahartington

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setting up against Derby is easy. As long as you're not simply an awful team, you just play your normal game. If Derby play well, you'll lose or you might sneak a draw. If they don't, you'll win. The opposition doesn't really get much of a say, based on my observations of this season.

I get it - he’s trying to undermine the advantage he gets from spying. The point is every team can analyse the opponent (even to the extent he does) but it doesn’t negate what spying achieves:

He can overload us with all the information he wants, but the statement above is enough for me to say he’s still in the wrong. 

Don’t get distracted, people.

Can’t see this leading to any more than a slap on the wrist....... insignificant fine at the most.  The EFL / FA will then “clarify” the rules in an attempt to stop it happening again 

Hope I’m wrong and they award the points to all of the teams he has spied on but hey ho!  Quite clever really - by admitting he’s done it before every game probably makes a points deduction less likely

2 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I get it - he’s trying to undermine the advantage he gets from spying. The point is every team can analyse the opponent (even to the extent he does) but it doesn’t negate what spying achieves:

He can overload us with all the information he wants, but the statement above is enough for me to say he’s still in the wrong. 

Don’t get distracted, people.

Exactly this, ‘spying’ or being meticulous over your opponent isn’t the problem but the information you get 24 hours before a game is because it influences your decisions. Using Derby County as an example, knowing Wilson isn’t playing and an inexperienced Lowe is LB!

1 minute ago, Donnyram said:

Can’t see this leading to any more than a slap on the wrist....... insignificant fine at the most.  The EFL / FA will then “clarify” the rules in an attempt to stop it happening again 

Hope I’m wrong and they award the points to all of the teams he has spied on but hey ho!  Quite clever really - by admitting he’s done it before every game probably makes a points deduction less likely

Depends on the reaction from the other 22 teams in the league (cup games too?)

He's trying to show his mindset to explain how he gets to this position. I think an extensive scouting system and useful application of such should be applauded but it is all undermined by crossing this shady line. We can talk about the wider issue after any punishment but the fact is bielsa representing leeds united were the ones caught doing it and that is the issue which must first be addressed.

As impressive as Bielsa is, I can't help but feel that the primary objective of this press conference is just to spectacularly divert attention from the spying.

Showing everybody that you don't need to cheat isn't actually that effective a way of explaining why you DID cheat.

30 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure if this is being badly translated as it contradicts other pieces that have come out.

Watching games is totally different - it’s like public domain information.  Private training sessions where you might be working on a never tried before set piece is the problem

Key take from that is: 

He admitted to getting an advantage from spying.

The rest of it was just a lot of bluster to bury the fact he admitted cheating to gain an advantage.

Also, surely not all training grounds are visible from a road like ours allegedly is?

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

So he's got all his staff spying and doing over 300 hours of work preparing for a game, but the club doesn't know about it ?

Surely he means they dont know about the spying element? Preparation for the game in the other ways he has said is perfectly ok.

Leeds have probably had a tip off that another club has also reported the spying, therefore just come out and say it’s the norm and hope that any sanctions are placed just on him.

His hypocrisy is my biggest gripe, if he really believes it doesn’t provide an advantage, why do it in the first place ?

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As impressive as Bielsa is, I can't help but feel that the primary objective of this press conference is just to spectacularly divert attention from the spying.

Showing everybody that you don't need to cheat isn't actually that effective a way of explaining why you DID cheat.

"You stand accused of stealing money from this person. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty because, actually, I stole money from everyone and here's all my analysis on all those people."

Obviously spying on a football team training isn't the same as stealing money, but my point is that none of what Bielsa said excuses or even properly explains the act itself. If anything, it's even more confusing as to why he spies on other teams. With all that info, why bother?

This is really annoying for me, not because I am a Derby fan, but because Bielsa is one of my footballing heroes. The way he designs his teams is fascinating and genuinely changed the game. To find out he spies on every team's training sessions sort of bursts that bubble a bit.

Archived