Leeds fan in peace, with a pair of binoculars, pliers and a change of clothes

Leeds FC

Looking forward to the game on Friday against a much improved Derby since we last played you. We’ve hit a bit of a rocky spell but we’ve still played well. Same time we need to get back to winning ways. Good news for you, due to injuries, suspensions & players departing we will have 7 missing from the game earlier in the season inc our best player Hernandez.  I’ll actually take a point now. Game as been sold out a while now at our end & I hear you’ve sold about 1,200 ? Pricing is a joke so I can understand people staying away and with it been on Sky. Should be a great atmosphere 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Leeds FC said:

Looking forward to the game on Friday against a much improved Derby since we last played you. We’ve hit a bit of a rocky spell but we’ve still played well. Same time we need to get back to winning ways. Good news for you, due to injuries, suspensions & players departing we will have 7 missing from the game earlier in the season inc our best player Hernandez.  I’ll actually take a point now. Game as been sold out a while now at our end & I hear you’ve sold about 1,200 ? Pricing is a joke so I can understand people staying away and with it been on Sky. Should be a great atmosphere 

Nice to have you here in peace, most Leeds supporters prefer other supporters in pieces. 

Isn't that Alioski one of your better players? Is he fit? Didn't like him when we played you. Smug little fecker and a good player. 

We conceded 2 crosses I think to you. And 1 vs Reading on opening day. Plus gave you both free headers. Things haven't got much better in that department so if all your wide players are broken then that would be sweet

Alioski is inconsistent but playing better now. We will miss Philips, Douglas, Pablo for sure. Saiz got homesick and was class on his day. Cooper will be back at centre back. Also out, Beradi, Bamford, Brown. I still expect us to have bags of possession but at home we are struggling to break teams down. A serious question on your support ? You’ve always had a loyal home fan base but never travel well. Like I said £40 on Friday is bad, but generally when cost ain’t involved you never take big numbers which surprises me ? 

13 minutes ago, Leeds FC said:

Alioski is inconsistent but playing better now. We will miss Philips, Douglas, Pablo for sure. Saiz got homesick and was class on his day. Cooper will be back at centre back. Also out, Beradi, Bamford, Brown. I still expect us to have bags of possession but at home we are struggling to break teams down. A serious question on your support ? You’ve always had a loyal home fan base but never travel well. Like I said £40 on Friday is bad, but generally when cost ain’t involved you never take big numbers which surprises me ? 

Never take many away??? We usually sell out our allocations... it's as you said on a Friday night and on Sky. Had it been a Saturday we would have sold them all before it gets to general release

1 minute ago, Leeds FC said:

We won't sit back. You'll create chances vs us. We don't sit back at all. Ask Norwich. Doesn't always work out well though. 

I think our away support is ok. It just doesn't match our home numbers. It's better than most teams I'd imagine. It just isn't what you'd expect. 

Obviously "We all hate Leeds" but your away support is brilliant. In fact I don't think anyone can really knock your support. As much as we'd like to. The prices, the travelling... It's outstanding. 

We can draw in a large number. The fan base is there. Just for some reason it's not got that buzz right now.

I think there's a sense of "typical Derby, finding a way to feck it up" sort of atmosphere with our less hard-core bunch. (I'm not talking about the lot that come with PL status.) A lot of real genuine long time fans that follow every kick have given up season tickets. Away games suffer first and Pride Park doesn't hold much joy to be honest. It's a place bogged down in routine. It's mostly moan and groan. 

We just can't find that buzz. Well, the less hard-core can't. There's still a few thousand that eat and drink it. That do their best to create a buzz. 

Derby County has turned into a dressing gown and slippers for the football fans of this city. Pride Park is putting the bins out. Away games are visiting family. Uncle Leeds is having a party on Friday and we've got to go. We can't be arsed after work but we'll show our face, have one beer and feck off when you're not looking 

Sith Happens
21 minutes ago, Leeds FC said:

Number of supporters fluctuate. We have generally had a good following away but has dipped a bit in the past couple of years.

Home support has also dipped, probably down to disappointments in chasing promotion. 

As a Leeds fan you will know full well fan bases can be affected by the form of the team. Your attendance is good now but go back 3 or 4 seasons and you were only averaging low 20000 crowds, in fact its not that long ago one if your stands was permanently closed due to poor crowds.

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Number of supporters fluctuate. We have generally had a good following away but has dipped a bit in the past couple of years.

Home support has also dipped, probably down to disappointments in chasing promotion. 

As a Leeds fan you will know full well fan bases can be affected by the form of the team. Your attendance is good now but go back 3 or 4 seasons and you were only averaging low 20000 crowds, in fact its not that long ago one if your stands was permanently closed due to poor crowds.

I agree we’ve got some very fickle Home fans at the same time when we averaged in the 20s there was a massive boycott from the fans due to the owners. Bates was charging £700 for a season ticket and we were signing free transfers and journeymen. Potential if we get back up is huge , at the same time I hate how the Prem is so sanitised. Not just saying it but I’ve always rated your home support better than Forest. Leeds v Derby is always a great fixture going back to the Baseball Ground days !

27 minutes ago, Leeds FC said:

I agree we’ve got some very fickle Home fans at the same time when we averaged in the 20s there was a massive boycott from the fans due to the owners. Bates was charging £700 for a season ticket and we were signing free transfers and journeymen. Potential if we get back up is huge , at the same time I hate how the Prem is so sanitised. Not just saying it but I’ve always rated your home support better than Forest. Leeds v Derby is always a great fixture going back to the Baseball Ground days !

Nah then mi owd ... is a Yorkshire man eating a Yorkshire pudding performing cannibalism ?? Askin fer a fwend

hi LFIP

Our away support, numerically and in terms of volume of sound, is usually greater than that of half the teams in the PL actually, this one is an aberration I think for the reasons stated above.

Bear in mind also that the population of Derby is probably about half that of Leeds.  On a good day at home we get 30,000 from a population of about 300,000 in the city.  Based on that ratio, if your population is say 600,000 (I haven't checked it's just a guess) then is your home gate 60,000?  I don't think so...LOL

For us this is the end of a run of games against the rest of the top 6 so yes we'd take a point too I think.  We're banking on picking up more wins after playing you because we don't then have to play any of the top 6 again this season, whilst the others will all be taking points from each other.  However, we do tend to raise our game against the more skilful sides but struggle to break down the teams of average but solid journeymen in the lower half of the table.

In some ways you did us a favour in that opening game because you set the standard that we knew we'd have to try to match in order to go up.  Our new manager must have learnt a lot that day, so if we do finally make it into the PL this time then it will be partly thanks to you for giving us that early benchmark.  I dare say that you'll either finish top 2 or be in the top 6 if your recent form continues.

Interesting what you say about owners.  About 10 years ago we had to protest outside the ground to get rid of a bunch of people, some of whom were later prosecuted for various things*.  We're very fortunate to have an owner now who balances the desire for success and financial input with realism and an awareness of FFP rules.  We have a lot of young players and loanees, but on a good day they're a quality side and great to watch, and this one will be much more even than when we last met you I think.

Since you're here, a question - what do you think of the portrayal of your club in the book and film of The Damned United?  Do you think that the 'Dirty Leeds' thing is unfair?  If so, given that in the 1970s they certainly WERE, at what point do you think that it ceased to be an accurate description?

LR2

* This is factually true and therefore fair comment I believe...

I think our 'poor away following' so far can be put down to:

• The teams we've played
  • The teams we've still got to play
  • The days 'big away days' have fallen on
  • Skys game selection (this'll be our 9th game, 6th away)
  • Cup games (Man Utd and Chelsea)
  • Restrictions on the total number of tickets available

As it turns out, we're roughly on par with recent seasons. Based on the figures I've been able to find, we're averaging over 2000.

Away games played (not on Sky): Millwall (1436/2083), Hull (????/????), Rotherham (2600/2600), Bolton (1869/2183), QPR (2686/3103), Sheff Weds (2500+/3182), Wigan (2003/2923), Norwich (1200+/1626)

Away games played (on Sky): Reading(1947/2200), WBA (????/2733), Boro (1300+/2051), Stoke (3001/3001), Sheff Utd (2253/2253)

Away games still to play: Leeds, Preston, Ipswich, Forest, Villa Swansea, Brentford, Blackburn, Birmingham, Bristol

Based on the games we have left, our away following average should increase

12 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

hi LFIP

Our away support, numerically and in terms of volume of sound, is usually greater than that of half the teams in the PL actually, this one is an aberration I think for the reasons stated above.

Bear in mind also that the population of Derby is probably about half that of Leeds.  On a good day at home we get 30,000 from a population of about 300,000 in the city.  Based on that ratio, if your population is say 600,000 (I haven't checked it's just a guess) then is your home gate 60,000?  I don't think so...LOL

For us this is the end of a run of games against the rest of the top 6 so yes we'd take a point too I think.  We're banking on picking up more wins after playing you because we don't then have to play any of the top 6 again this season, whilst the others will all be taking points from each other.  However, we do tend to raise our game against the more skilful sides but struggle to break down the teams of average but solid journeymen in the lower half of the table.

In some ways you did us a favour in that opening game because you set the standard that we knew we'd have to try to match in order to go up.  Our new manager must have learnt a lot that day, so if we do finally make it into the PL this time then it will be partly thanks to you for giving us that early benchmark.  I dare say that you'll either finish top 2 or be in the top 6 if your recent form continues.

Interesting what you say about owners.  About 10 years ago we had to protest outside the ground to get rid of a bunch of people, some of whom were later prosecuted for various things*.  We're very fortunate to have an owner now who balances the desire for success and financial input with realism and an awareness of FFP rules.  We have a lot of young players and loanees, but on a good day they're a quality side and great to watch, and this one will be much more even than when we last met you I think.

Since you're here, a question - what do you think of the portrayal of your club in the book and film of The Damned United?  Do you think that the 'Dirty Leeds' thing is unfair?  If so, given that in the 1970s they certainly WERE, at what point do you think that it ceased to be an accurate description?

LR2

* This is factually true and therefore fair comment I believe...

Dirty Leeds ? Listen I’m no blinkered Leeds fan. The tag is deserved as they were ruthless in so many ways. They said every team had a hardman in them days, Leeds had  eleven ! At the same time they were a great team and we were truly robbed in 2 Euro Finals. When we won the cup in 72, the league made us play Wolves on the Monday away in a title decider. That team was despised and as you know every team sings how they hate Leeds Scum. About Leeds population, yes it’s big but you would be surprised how cosmopolitan the city is and the amount of foreigners who have no affinity to the club. Also it’s a massive rugby area too. Lampard will be a top manager and will take you close this season for sure

54 minutes ago, Leeds FC said:

Dirty Leeds ? Listen I’m no blinkered Leeds fan. The tag is deserved as they were ruthless in so many ways. They said every team had a hardman in them days, Leeds had  eleven ! At the same time they were a great team and we were truly robbed in 2 Euro Finals. When we won the cup in 72, the league made us play Wolves on the Monday away in a title decider. That team was despised and as you know every team sings how they hate Leeds Scum. About Leeds population, yes it’s big but you would be surprised how cosmopolitan the city is and the amount of foreigners who have no affinity to the club. Also it’s a massive rugby area too. Lampard will be a top manager and will take you close this season for sure

Think the Dirty Leeds thing died with Don Revies departure tbh.

Obvs you get the occasional unsavoury character such as Lee Bowyer but the team hasn’t been a bunch of cloggers in decades.

Mind you , I’m a part time fan and the last time I got to a Derby v Leeds game was I think 2010-2011 at pride park when Max Gradel scored for you and we nicked it 2-1 thanks to a sweet volley from Ben Davies of all people ?

3 hours ago, Leeds FC said:

Pot and kettle this season.

I was surprised when you brought less than 2,000 out of your allocation of 3,000 earlier this season. 

Archived