Vs Leeds away. (Matchday thread).

Rev

12 minutes ago, Anon said:

These ratings are shockingly low and the worst part is I think you've been too generous. I agree that Bryson was completely ineffective, but I don't see how Mount or Evans can score higher than him. If anything they were even worse. Carson deserves less too. His error for the first is so bad. Not a Leeds player near him and he chooses to punch, except he doesn't punch, he flaps. With such a young team and some youngsters in defence we really need our experienced 'keeper to be far more composed.

Tbf mate you're probably right. I gave Evans the benefit of the doubt cos it's his 3rd game for us, Mount has affected more games than he hasn't but Bryson just hasn't done anything this season.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Men against boys that ! Sat in a bar in Leeds deliberating the performance. Did it look as bad on the TV as it was in the flesh ? Please tell me it didn't ? (I know it did really) . 

We got totally schooled by a ducking genius of football . Envious of that Leeds performance like I was when they did us all over at PP . 

Our shape was wrong , individual performances were inept all round . Feel really deflated right now.  

28 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

That was really poor. No sugar coating it. We've not played well for weeks.

All the talk before the game about getting off to a good start and we never did. Infact, I'm struggling to think of us starting a game well. And I don't mean in the first 10 minutes. For what it's worth. Here's my ratings.

Carson - 5. Distribution poor. Should have caught the first one. Difficult to blame for the 2nd. Maybe should have got more to the ball.

Wisdom - 1. Only played 45 minutes. Should have given a penalty away. Well he did give a penalty away. Got booked for a poor tackle. Everything he touched went wrong. He's been good last few games. But tonight he's made Bogle look like Cafu.

Keogh - 3. Absolute no man's land for that 2nd goal. Watched it 3 times and I have absolutely no idea what he was doing. Couple of poor passes. He's captain. But he's not a leader. We won't get promoted with this bloke at the back.

Tomori - 3. If this lad didn't have pace. He'd be bang in trouble. It gets him out of bad situations. Let Roofe get Infront of him for the first goal. Poor night.

Lowe - 1. Absolutely awful. First half he had 3 basic passes and he put them all out of play. He had his pants down by an 18 year old making his first start. Didn't stop crosses. There's a reason Lampard signed Malone when we had Forsyth and Lowe. He knows Lowe isn't good enough. He didn't look interested tonight.

Evans - 4. Can't really remember him touching the ball. Was part of a midfield that didn't affect the game at all. Booked for a poor tackle.

Bryson - 3. Love him. Absolutely brilliant servant for this football club. I don't like saying it, and this is not just based on this game. But I cannot think of a single game this season in which he has affected the game at all. I come out of games and I just don't know what he's done. Doesn't offer anything. Completely done for that first goal tonight an all. If Rangers want him. Let him go.

Mount - 4. Not in this game at all. For a lad with the ability he has. He has to show more. Needs to be close to Marriott and closer to the box. Because that's where he can affect games.

Holmes - 5. Can't really criticize him too much tonight. The way we played didn't help him. Thought he stuck to his task well.

Lawrence - 2. Sorry. But I can't stand the lad. He was woeful against Southampton and celebrated by sticking his fingers in his ears Infront of the home fans because he scored a great goal. He ain't a good enough player to celebrate like that. He did it at Preston away last season. He gets criticized because his effort isn't there. Half hearted attempts at closing down, tracking back. This was a big season for him. He infuriates me. I said it before. If someone offered near what we paid for him I'd sell him tomorrow and reinvest the money back in the squad.

Marriott - 5. Feel sorry for him. So isolated. Midfield nowhere near him. Wingers don't put crosses in. We put 9 in today. Put a shift in.

Nugent did ok when he came on. Worked hard. Waghorn looked like he cared.

Lampard changed his system second half and we went 2-0 straight away. Maybe we could have got back into it and Leeds may have got nervous the longer it stayed 1-0. 

There might not be a lot of funds available. But we have to bring 2 or 3 players in. If we don't. That collapse will happen. Because these players at the minute are not going to get us in the top 6.

We need a centre back, a different type of striker and a full back who knows how to stop a cross.

Could also be time to look at another system?

Fact is I didn't expect anything this season. Lampards first season. I said top half, top 10 would be good as long as we are showing signs. 

1 win in 7 isn't good enough and we'll be out the play offs before we know it.

Next 6 league games are huge. 

Agree with pretty much all of that! Lampards the man to take us forward but we are so far away from leeds level it's scary. Deffo not the end of the world but we have got to bring in some physicality and quality if we want to make the play offs this year.

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Men against boys that ! Sat in a bar in Leeds deliberating the performance. Did it look as bad on the TV as it was in the flesh ? Please tell me it didn't ? (I know it did really) . 

We got totally schooled by a ducking genius of football . Envious of that Leeds performance like I was when they did us all over at PP . 

Our shape was wrong , individual performances were inept all round . Feel really deflated right now.  

We would have made Ipswich look a decent side tonight. Leeds weren't that great...

31 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

That was really poor. No sugar coating it. We've not played well for weeks.

All the talk before the game about getting off to a good start and we never did. Infact, I'm struggling to think of us starting a game well. And I don't mean in the first 10 minutes. For what it's worth. Here's my ratings.

Carson - 5. Distribution poor. Should have caught the first one. Difficult to blame for the 2nd. Maybe should have got more to the ball.

Wisdom - 1. Only played 45 minutes. Should have given a penalty away. Well he did give a penalty away. Got booked for a poor tackle. Everything he touched went wrong. He's been good last few games. But tonight he's made Bogle look like Cafu.

Keogh - 3. Absolute no man's land for that 2nd goal. Watched it 3 times and I have absolutely no idea what he was doing. Couple of poor passes. He's captain. But he's not a leader. We won't get promoted with this bloke at the back.

Tomori - 3. If this lad didn't have pace. He'd be bang in trouble. It gets him out of bad situations. Let Roofe get Infront of him for the first goal. Poor night.

Lowe - 1. Absolutely awful. First half he had 3 basic passes and he put them all out of play. He had his pants down by an 18 year old making his first start. Didn't stop crosses. There's a reason Lampard signed Malone when we had Forsyth and Lowe. He knows Lowe isn't good enough. He didn't look interested tonight.

Evans - 4. Can't really remember him touching the ball. Was part of a midfield that didn't affect the game at all. Booked for a poor tackle.

Bryson - 3. Love him. Absolutely brilliant servant for this football club. I don't like saying it, and this is not just based on this game. But I cannot think of a single game this season in which he has affected the game at all. I come out of games and I just don't know what he's done. Doesn't offer anything. Completely done for that first goal tonight an all. If Rangers want him. Let him go.

Mount - 4. Not in this game at all. For a lad with the ability he has. He has to show more. Needs to be close to Marriott and closer to the box. Because that's where he can affect games.

Holmes - 5. Can't really criticize him too much tonight. The way we played didn't help him. Thought he stuck to his task well.

Lawrence - 2. Sorry. But I can't stand the lad. He was woeful against Southampton and celebrated by sticking his fingers in his ears Infront of the home fans because he scored a great goal. He ain't a good enough player to celebrate like that. He did it at Preston away last season. He gets criticized because his effort isn't there. Half hearted attempts at closing down, tracking back. This was a big season for him. He infuriates me. I said it before. If someone offered near what we paid for him I'd sell him tomorrow and reinvest the money back in the squad.

Marriott - 5. Feel sorry for him. So isolated. Midfield nowhere near him. Wingers don't put crosses in. We put 9 in today. Put a shift in.

Nugent did ok when he came on. Worked hard. Waghorn looked like he cared.

Lampard changed his system second half and we went 2-0 straight away. Maybe we could have got back into it and Leeds may have got nervous the longer it stayed 1-0. 

There might not be a lot of funds available. But we have to bring 2 or 3 players in. If we don't. That collapse will happen. Because these players at the minute are not going to get us in the top 6.

We need a centre back, a different type of striker and a full back who knows how to stop a cross.

Could also be time to look at another system?

Fact is I didn't expect anything this season. Lampards first season. I said top half, top 10 would be good as long as we are showing signs. 

1 win in 7 isn't good enough and we'll be out the play offs before we know it.

Next 6 league games are huge. 

I think you glt the 95% right but i think carson should get a 3 and lawrence i would give a 5 he showed he wanted it more then i have ever seen him(i usually hate lawrence but i djd think he tried and wanted it alot more the most players out there tonight) 

1 hour ago, LB_DCFC said:

Again, teams lose games. Just because they lost the last 3 it doesn't automatically mean they're crap. Embarrassing is losing 4-1 at home to bottom of the league, not getting well beaten by a very good team who will most likely finish top. Also, the same tactical decisions won us the game at Norwich, Naive yes, clueless very reactionary and over the top.

We'll have to agree to disagree fella. I never said Leeds were crap but they are nowhere as good as we made them look. That was an abysmal performance tonight, not an ounce of spirit in our team or tactical nous from the coaching staff. Totally dispiriting.

The defense needs an overhaul. Midfield needs a few additions. 

Lampard has his work cut out. Especially as his hands are tied after years of mismanagement. 

Playoffs is the hopeful prospect this season but we are 6th best for a reason. 

This team needs investment but we blew all that years ago. 

It's all right for (most of) you lot. You don't live up here amongst the insufferable so and so's. The two good things were that I got home early and I've retired so I don't have to go into work tomorrow.

If you weren't there you'll have watched on telly so there's not much point in going through performances as you'll have seen them for yourselves and formed your own views. I thought we were out run, outplayed and second best almost throughout. Had we scored a goal then it might have been interesting but we didn't and didn't deserve to.

It seemed to me that they were a lot of what Frank wants us to become both on and off the pitch. The crowd were loud and supportive throughout as they normally seem to be; the players ran faster and further, kept possession better and when we did have the ball closed us down in packs. For all Tom Lawrence gets criticised (by the bloke standing behind me as well as on here) when he had the ball he usually had three players immediately around him and was outnumbered and outmuscled. So too others. I feel sorry for all 3 of our full backs tonight - more often than not they were faced with two Leeds players coming at them at pace. It's not surprising that they don't look good (or even ok), not surprising that crosses ping across our box and not surprising that our defence looks less secure than last year.

Amongst it all at least we only lost by two, at least Duane Holmes took on the Leeds midfield and caused some concerns, as did Nugent when he came on and at least we didn't give up. But that's clutching at straws. The test now is how we react, especially if we lose at Southampton. So too the summer transfer window. If I'm right and Frank's aim is for us to be more like Leeds tonight next season, then he has a lot of changes to make and development to achieve. The coaching, financial and recruitment challenges are significant.

One area where I hope we don't copy them is in their theatrics. Whether that's learned or encouraged behaviour or both, the slightest touch (or sometimes miss) leads some of their players to go down as if shot. Regularly. Unless and until referees get a grip of it, and all the time wasting that goes on, then it will only get worse. In those regards Leeds are already Premier League.

Says a lot about the overall quality of this league that DCFC will still be 6th at the end of the weekend. Most competitive Championship for years but are the vast vast majority of teams further away from what it would take in the PL than ever? I am thinking in terms of how many players sides would need to recruit just to survive.

Out muscled and out thought tonight by a very fit disciplined well coached outfit.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Only positive from that is I’m in derby for the next few days and not Leeds. Proper fed up of this now, is it too much to ask for a team that can ducking pass a ball to a man and hold onto it ffs. For someone to actually defend a cross. For some movement. For some strength. For some desire. For some energy. For some intelligence.

We played better football under Rowett than we have the last couple of months in the main imo. It’s just brainless hoofing to the five foot Marriott. The midfield doesn’t exist. Controversial but it’s true. I’m not having it anymore. There’s no excuses, this isn’t good enough. And it hasn’t been for a while. 

Thats just scratching the surface. I knew we were likely to lose tonight, but that performance is not anywhere near the standard a side like ours should be showing. We travelled all this way to witness nothing. 

Sincerly, one very pissed off millenniumram

I feel your pain Millenniumram.

I didnt think we would win, but the way in which we lost was so so disappointing.

Currently consoling myself supping strong ale and rhubarb wine whilst working out crazy accumulators for tomorrow

Harry wilson was a huge loss. We are only half the team without him. Worth remembering that he's not our player. Take away the loanees and sometimes we look like we haven't got an awful lot.

But it is difficult to counter that system, and workrate. They seemed to outnumber us. 

Good finish from Roofe who looks the real deal up front.

Nugent and holmes did well enough but........another weekend for us to lick our wounds.

I actually think Holmes and Lawrence were our best players tonight! It all comes down to mental fragility, when we're spooked everything goes t*ts up and it's something that really needs addressing as if you can't string passes together, you're in trouble.

1 hour ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Thank god we don’t have to play them again for another year and a half... ? 

I am not sure they will go up as they are

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Before you all get too upset Leeds will win the league.  Our last 17 games we have played 14 games against teams in the top half of the league!! Our next ten home games 5 are against teams in the bottom 6. We play no team in the top 6 until WBA last game of the season. All to play for 2nd place get behind the team COYR. 

I don’t think Leeds will win the league which is worrying because we played so poorly against them twice

A bad night tonight. Leeds looked infinitely better than us which wasn’t difficult. They’re a good side but not that good. 

What annoys me so much is that our management team can’t seem to get that we are continuing to try and play football in the wrong areas of the pitch. Leeds illustrated how to be effective in this league and still play attractive football. Norwich were the same but with a much worse defence than Leeds. They play direct from the back (something we did really well under Mac I with Bucko and Keith spraying balls crossfield) once they then get the ball on the final third they then look to play. There is no shame in playing direct and playing the percentages to compete for the ball when you then use it efficiently and cleverly in the final third. Another big difference is the number of players they seem to get in the box when we constantly leave Marriott on his Todd to fight against the gorilla sized centre backs this division has to offer! 

If you starve Marriott of service you won’t get value out of him. We were overran and outmuscled all over. Devoid of energy and a plan B. The Plan B part is not new... This has been going on for years now. 

We are still 6th (somehow) and have got that rotten run of games out the way. We are still able to get top 6 but compete to go up, not at the moment with this squad. 

The defence isn’t good enough and the balance in midfield just isn’t right. Without 2/3 signings that are going to start in this team, not squad players we need people who are going to go straight in we are gonna find it difficult to stay in the playoff places. 

Having said that the league is pretty poor this year and as mentioned we still remain 6th somehow meaning we have a real shot to go on a decent run now against the “lesser” sides. 

???

Archived