Thorne, Butterfield, Pearce & Anya “massive contribution” to the U23s

Day

Having just posted this in the Supporters Charter Meeting minutes topic, I thought this little section in the highlights video is worthy or a topic itself.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/11/supporters-charter-group-highlights-n18

In the link above Mel talks about their involvement with the U23s this season and praises their “massive contribution”.

Also encouraging signs that we may not have seen the last of Thorne in a Derby shirt, which I’m sure will put a smile on a few faces. 

If you want to skip to the section begins on 5 minutes, although it’s worth watching the full video, it’s only 11 minutes long and covers a few areas.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearce was training with the first team today, not sure if he has been all season, but I would imagine he will be on the bench tomorrow. He’s not been out with injuries, just down the pecking order.

Was it WBA he came in and had a great game out of nowhere having not played for a while? Kept his place then we lost, there was all that drama over team selection changes.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

One thing that strikes me from this video is how lucky we actually are to have an owner like Mel Morris.

Fantastically articulate is Mel, really can see the passion he has for the club and academy, shines through. I really hope we can get promoted in the next year or two, I think it is the least he deserves for what he has ploughed into the club. Very grateful to have his backing, we are very fortunate. Even when results like Wednesday don't go our way, seems like there is a real togetherness at board, manager, academy and fan level. good times.

As far as I’m aware, Mel is a big big fan of Thorne and Butterfield. But Frank isn’t. He made that clear after a month of pre season. He’s the manager. It’s his choice. 

But it’s great that these lads are knuckling down and performing when called into the 23s. 

But they’ve been told since late July to find clubs. Butterfield should be with Hull for example. So I’m not having the idea that it’s ‘clever’ of us to have first team quality players helping develop our youngsters. It probably is good, but it’s not by design is what I mean. 

We will see in a month or so when the window opens.

4 hours ago, David said:

Also encouraging signs that we may not have seen the last of Thorne in a Derby shirt, which I’m sure will put a smile on a few faces

That's not what I heard. Sounded to me like if no one comes in for George in Jan he's going on GumTree. 

2 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

As far as I’m aware, Mel is a big big fan of Thorne and Butterfield. But Frank isn’t. He made that clear after a month of pre season. He’s the manager. It’s his choice. 

But it’s great that these lads are knuckling down and performing when called into the 23s. 

But they’ve been told since late July to find clubs. Butterfield should be with Hull for example. So I’m not having the idea that it’s ‘clever’ of us to have first team quality players helping develop our youngsters. It probably is good, but it’s not by design is what I mean. 

We will see in a month or so when the window opens.

I've always taken what you have said at face value. However, I think you was called out on another thread and failed to respond, thefore, can't really believe it when you say 'they've been told since late July to find clubs'.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've always taken what you have said at face value. However, I think you was called out on another thread and failed to respond, thefore, can't really believe it when you say 'they've been told since late July to find clubs'.

Why can't you believe that? Its blatantly obvious by process of deduction

Neither player has so much as featured in a matchday squad despite being fit all season. Bearing in mind Butterfield's contract ends next summer too - I can't think of any conceivable situation where Lampard would want highly paid players around the place contributing absolutely nothing to the first team. It would be an abrogation of responsibility not to ask them to try & find other clubs.

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Neither player has so much as featured in a matchday squad despite being fit all season. Bearing in mind Butterfield's contract ends next summer too - I can't think of any conceivable situation where Lampard would want highly paid players around the place contributing absolutely nothing to the first team. It would be an abrogation of responsibility not to ask them to try & find other clubs.

The point being made was they were told before they had chance to ‘clean slate’ prove themselves according to the OP.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point being made was they were told before they had chance to ‘clean slate’ prove themselves according to the OP.

No, they were apparently told late July which would have been after the pre-season & hence after an opportunity to show what they could do. That makes sense as Butterfield in particular featured heavily in the friendlies but come the start of the season, was nowhere to be seen. So he was 'given a clean slate' in terms of playing time & Lampard then must have decided he didn't fancy him.

On 30/11/2018 at 22:08, G STAR RAM said:

On 30/11/2018 at 23:21, LeedsCityRam said:

Great vid from David. What Warren says is right, and to back it up we saw Butterfield was meant to go to Hull on deadline day but it didn't happen in time. Why not before? Because sometimes it's like buying a house in a chain and everything has to fall into place for it to happen. I expected Mac would come in for Thorne, but maybe he didn't think he could trust George's fitness.

Also, things can change incredibly quickly in football. Both Pearson and Clements were sacked in their first seasons. Frank's a rookie so the players may have thought/still think that he won't last and they'd be back with a chance in front of the new manager. I think it's looking a lot clearer now that Frank's going to stick around. And both Thorne and Butterfield have shown a good attitude in the U23s and George has improved his fitness. So I'd expect moves for both in the next window,

Frank made the decision to go with a smaller squad and was ruthless about it, exiling various players. And it's really really tough when fan favourites like Thorne or Martin aren't part of what's happening. But one of the things I love about Frank is he has a clear and brilliant vision of how he wants to play, and the lads in his first-team squad are trying to deliver. So I support him. And having played with George Evans at Man City, it seems he believes Evans is the future at CDM, for instance, And perhaps when we see more of him, we'll have another fans' favourite on our hands.

But it doesn't mean my heart doesn't bleed when I think about Thorne and his injuries. And have always believed if he hadn't done his cruciate in that first preseason friendly against Shaktar, we'd have got automatic promotion. Fate is a fickle mistress.

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Latest from my mate who is working with Thorne is that he is doing well and working hard but he is physically a broken man. Highly unlikely to come back at this level.

If that’s even remotely true it is absolutely heartbreaking for him and us. 

3 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Latest from my mate who is working with Thorne is that he is doing well and working hard but he is physically a broken man. Highly unlikely to come back at this level.

Is your mate a barber? 

3 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Sorry I don't understand the post,

How can he be "doing well and working hard" but also be "physically a broken man"? It's a genuine question. Do you mean he's "psychologically a broken man" or are you saying he's happy in himself, but his body can't stand up physically to the rigours any more?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sorry I don't understand the post,

How can he be "doing well and working hard" but also be "physically a broken man"? It's a genuine question. Do you mean he's "psychologically a broken man" or are you saying he's happy in himself, but his body can't stand up physically to the rigours any more?

Thanks

Getting stronger in many senses but his legs are a state. As you would expect from the injuries he has had.

Archived