The importance of getting promoted this season for financial gain

Sexydadbod

8 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Should this be introduced,think it would prove to be less commercially viable after a few years than the champions leauge.

The  appeal of qualifying and who you will be drawn against in the champions league creates  interest and possibly only meeting the likes of Juventus and Barcelona every so often creates a excitement and  intrest of expectation. Playing these teams on a regular basis would create less interest and atmosphere and take away the cudos of the fixture.

Not sure away fans would continually provide the support required to create an atmosphere or spectacle for the games and they would lose any fascination of appeal over a period of time.

Totally agree. The proposed european super league not neccessarily going to be popular with supporters. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d prefer the breakaway - actually - the elite moving away - the gulf has got too big

I would prefer the top six to disappear- and create the old fashion English First Division. Based on the other premier league clubs and the top 6 of the championship

Stick two fingers to them in my opinion - grab the dosh also - and float them off to Europe.

its the  real fans of the top 6 - I feel sorry for . How will they be able to afford away days in a season...they will have to watch hone games only (away at English teams) and then resort to Sky 

lets face it a super league is not going to happen , as it would become stale and boring after a while and the fans would turn against owners and the game would become less of a spectacle for the fans and more of a money grab , I have faith that it won't happen and I would be disgusted if it did happen. It would mean the prem just becomes a slightly better version of the championship, therefore the prem clubs would loose a lot of revenue , logistically it would not be feasible with the ridiculous amount of travel that it would require . I think it won't happen as it would be far too unpopular with fans , and in the long term it would actually lead to a reduction in revenue if fans don't turn up or only tourist fans go meaning  a lot of games feel more like an international friendly.

In summary, I really hope it doesn't happen and I don't think it will happen. Also I don't agree with the good riddance attitude as clubs Like Bournemouth and Leicester have been able to compete with clubs like Man u and Arsenal in recent years, and Chelsea finished 10th a few years back, the only team really established at the top level in recent years is Man city . The standard of football in the prem (also known as championship .2 ) would go down as the amount of money available to spend would drop due to less Tv money coming in .

Two things.

How would this be different to the champions league? They’ll end up playing about 20 games a season, with no other cups to play for. Would they have their own version of a league cup, or some sort of other European cup running concurrently with the league? Probably not, so there’s one trophy to play for, and they’d play a lot, lot less games in a season, against the same teams, over and over again. Not sure how that’s going to appeal to the tv guys in the long run.

On the other hand, the guys who stay behind in the domestic league will still have the champions league, the uefa league, the fa cup, and all the other exciting competitions they can be a part of. There will still be an awful lot of ‘big’ clubs with a lot of history behind them, a plethora of ex European cup winners (or semi finalists) etc. So surely that’s still got a hefty chunk of mass appeal for the tv guys.

just seems like a pretty daft idea in all.

although I wouldn’t be sad to see the top 4-6 cut adrift, it’s all cyclical, everyone gets their go at or bear the top eventually. Burnley were in Europe this year. Fulham and Boro had a good crack at it in recent years, and ducking Leicester were in the champions league. Not too long ago, we only ever talked about a big 4, and Man City were nowhere near it. Chelsea weren’t that big a deal til abramovic, and have had heir ups and downs recently, Arsenal have been in the daldrums recently, and Liverpool has their turn in the daldrums before Klopp came along, and united are still suffering from a post fergie hangover, Tottenham were very much alsorans until recently. So all hope is not yet lost for the possibility of a smaller club breaking into the elite top teams.

Its the beginning of football as we know unravelling. 

The growth in PL revenues recently has been overseas tv rights but that money will follow this new competition. World wide franchises under the banner of historical clubs. 

Lets face it, the premier league at the moment is basically foreign / state sponsored playthings that are only concerned about £. 

No-one is really that interested in European football. The champions league is already a bloated fat tedious meaningless competition. 

Having been through this with Rugby League in 1995 when I was managing a club over here at the time don’t think for one minute that this would end up all happy, happy come 2021. First up do all the comps have there tv rights all ending in 2020? This will be all over tv rights full stop. There will be contractural agreements ( with I believe F.A )about how many games etc that will still have to be met. Are players contracts tied with playing in their existing comps? We had players told if they signed for Super League they wouldn’t be picked for state/ international/ World Cup teams. With the next World Cup in 2022 that comes into play let alone qualifying matches. It ended up teams that had signed for Super League were banned from playing the next year so the Super League was bought forward from when it was supposed to start. I can see this becoming very messy very quickly. It took around 12 years for things to settle down over here. 

Couldn't give a toss about any of it to be honest. Our net spend this year was a million quid and yet we've put it up to the best teams in the division as well as strong United and Chelsea sides. Even with the lost revenues should a breakaway form, there'll still be more money in the newly formed 'first division' and I'll definitely still prefer watching a style of football that the Premiership most often lacks. Even fans of the 'anointed' will soon get fed up with being rinsed by their billionaire owners. I honestly don't see it being a sustainable business model, indeed if unfettered, it could be the beginning of the end for the piggies at the trough. We know well enough that fans will vote with their feet if they are not enamoured with the football being played or, worse still, if exorbitant prices force their hands. The future of a super-league seems to me to be one where clubs will end up with half-empty stands comprising of mostly sparsely populated corporate boxes - few real fans just business folk on junkets. It's a bleak and and unattractive proposition if ever there were one.

I'd be happy for the top clubs to clear off if it was a meritocracy, but with no promotion and relegation I would not watch it and I hope a boycott would ensue.

I think the collective powers of the followers of the "other" teams in England, Spain, Italy and particularly Germany wouldn't stand for it.  

A non-FIFA league may also mean that any players playing in it may not be allowed to play international football or in other competitions. Supporters' feelings towards players who eschew the chance to play for their country in favour of the $ may not be particularly welcomed in their own country. It would be difficult to justify the old "prolonging my club career" line for international retirement when you are only 24 years old.

I really hope this doesn’t happen. We all had so much fun watching us play and perform brilliantly against Man Utd and Chelsea. This may not be possible in a couple of years.

I’ve read a lot of other views on other websites and forums about this topic and it appears to me that the local fans, i.e those who regularly attend games are completely against this proposal but many fans of elite clubs who live internationally are really in favour of this proposal, following the NFL/Basketball system as it allows them to enjoy brilliant match ups from the comfort of their sofa, following the stereotype.

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned is what will happen to the traditional derbies? Good luck trying to tell the Liverpool/Everton fans, the Lazio/Roma fans or the Dortmund/Schalke fans that they will not face each other again.

Finally, what about the other big clubs in Europe who haven’t been invited like Celtic, Spurs, Lyon, Napoli, Lazio, Sevilla, Valencia, Benfica,  Porto and many others.

I feel that some clubs may not want to join this European super league but feel pressured into doing so because of the fear that they will be left behind financially 

Archived