The importance of getting promoted this season for financial gain

Sexydadbod

Before, I was one of those who stated that this season was more of a free swing but now having seen the football leaks stories by Der Spielgel about the European super league being introduced perhaps as soon as 2021(with the champions league being scrapped), it looks like it may be more important than ever for us and other teams to get promoted before the European super league is introduced to gain the riches of the premier league before the said league is introduced.

Previously, the European super league was an idea, but now it’s a case of when not if. According to football leaks, the 11 teams who will compete in the European super league are: Arsenal, Ac Milan, FC Bayern Munich, FC Barcelona, Chelsea, , Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, PSG,  FC Real Madrid(who will be the majority shareholder) and the guest clubs will be Atlético Madrid, Inter Milan, Borussia Dortmund, Marseille and Roma. This will have the effect of relegating the now premier league to the status of the championship, the now championship to the status of league one and so on and so forth.

You may ask how this concerns us? The simple answer is the financial gain. Everyone knows that the premier league is currently the richest league in the world due to sponsorships and Mel Morris has made no secret of the fact that he wants to get us there with one of the reasons is that the money is so great and because of the premier league being the most popular league in the world. However, the introduction of a European Super League will mean that the premier league will be not as popular as it is right now because all the top teams will be playing in the European Super League.

Therefore, if we are desperate for the most financial gain of the riches of the premier league, we must get promoted this season or next season at a stretch or the money will not be as great because sponsors will defect to the European Super League due to the top teams leaving the premier league.

TLDR; UEFA are screwing every none “elite club” with the proposed introduction of the European super league which could be as soon as a few years time(2021) and mean that promotion will not mean as much.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the link that I forgot to add

http://m.spiegel.de/international/world/football-documents-show-secret-plans-for-elite-league-of-top-clubs-a-1236447.html

I’m completely against it as it would be the death of football. Once again the elite clubs with status quo are prioritised again. If this happens as expected, Spurs are absolutely screwed with their new stadium that needs to be paid off. 

Surely we only need the super riches of playing in the premier league in order to compete with the other teams in that league? 

If the big boys go their own way and form a European league (I hope they will but doubt it'll ever happen) then won't we be left with a less valuable but probably more competitive premier league (or first division)? EVERYONE in that new top domestic league will be equally poorer. 

I understand why MM would have a different view but as a supporter (not a shareholder or owner) I don't really care how rich the club becomes provided we have a chance of being able to compete in the top domestic league and are financially stable. Although we'd never reach this new super league (I'm not sure. Even Leciester after winning the premier league would have been one of the"invited" teams) but I see the proposal as enhancing the chances of the likes of Derby, Forest, Leeds, Norwich etc.  of achieving promotion and not have to immediately start thinking about the half a dozen games or so we'd have to win to simply survive. 

Am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Here’s the link that I forgot to add

http://m.spiegel.de/international/world/football-documents-show-secret-plans-for-elite-league-of-top-clubs-a-1236447.html

I’m completely against it as it would be the death of football. Once again the elite clubs with status quo are prioritised again. If this happens as expected, Spurs are absolutely screwed with their new stadium that needs to be paid off. 

I think it would be the death of money mad football but possibly not football as we've come to know and love it. I'm sure there would still be televised TV games outside of the super league generating revenue but not anywhere near the amounts currently seen. Good point about the likes of Spurs though and paying for their new stadium. 

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely we only need the super riches of playing in the premier league in order to compete with the other teams in that league? 

If the big boys go their own way and form a European league (I hope they will but doubt it'll ever happen) then won't we be left with a less valuable but probably more competitive premier league (or first division)? EVERYONE in that new top domestic league will be equally poorer. 

I understand why MM would have a different view but as a supporter (not a shareholder or owner) I don't really care how rich the club becomes provided we have a chance of being able to compete in the top domestic league and are financially stable. Although we'd never reach this new super league (I'm not sure. Even Leciester after winning the premier league would have been one of the"invited" teams) but I see the proposal as enhancing the chances of the likes of Derby, Forest, Leeds, Norwich etc.  of achieving promotion and not have to immediately start thinking about the half a dozen games or so we'd have to win to simply survive. 

Am I missing something?

That’s a great point, but the premier league would become a more polished championship and there would be less quality players in the league all round. Just look in the premier league at the moment, the “lesser clubs” can afford very good international players because of the money in the premier league but that wouldn’t be the case should the super league be formed. 

Another point is the wages aspect. Many premier league players at mid table teams get paid ridiculous amounts. They wouldn’t be able to afford to pay their contracts because their income wouldn’t be as great.

Should this be introduced,think it would prove to be less commercially viable after a few years than the champions leauge.

The  appeal of qualifying and who you will be drawn against in the champions league creates  interest and possibly only meeting the likes of Juventus and Barcelona every so often creates a excitement and  intrest of expectation. Playing these teams on a regular basis would create less interest and atmosphere and take away the cudos of the fixture.

Not sure away fans would continually provide the support required to create an atmosphere or spectacle for the games and they would lose any fascination of appeal over a period of time.

If that happened, it would cause a chasm (schism? Schasm? Chism?) similar to the league/union divide in rugby imo.

”True” football fans following be domestic set up and then the fan boys and girls following the club of their bedsheets in the Euro super league or whatever.

I don’t agree it would kill the game, but it would certainly divide it.

It, to me, represents the end of "competitive" european club football. Because like all big money endeavours, genuine competition is a risk to be mitigated and feared and by having an exclusive club that they won't get kicked out of by something so irrelevant as losing at football makes the pitch to the money holders much better.  

If you're not in the big league, you're de facto limited in what you can ever achieve.

Supposing after wining the domestic league 4 times in a row Spurs might get elected into the big league, but the notion that Derby, or any other non-elite club could ever reach the pinnacle by winning games of football is over. 

The English leagues would be a richer version of the league of wales, a few big teams in an alien league and spurs as north london's TNS.

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

If that happened, it would cause a chasm (schism? Schasm? Chism?) similar to the league/union divide in rugby imo.

”True” football fans following be domestic set up and then the fan boys and girls following the club of their bedsheets in the Euro super league or whatever.

I don’t agree it would kill the game, but it would certainly divide it.

I don’t think it would be allowed to happen, there would be too many protests against it. Could see fans of the bigger clubs getting disillusioned and switching to smaller clubs, like Man United to FC United of Manchester.

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That’s a great point, but the premier league would become a more polished championship and there would be less quality players in the league all round. Just look in the premier league at the moment, the “lesser clubs” can afford very good international players because of the money in the premier league but that wouldn’t be the case should the super league be formed. 

Another point is the wages aspect. Many premier league players at mid table teams get paid ridiculous amounts. They wouldn’t be able to afford to pay their contracts because their income wouldn’t be as great.

I take your points however, whilst the "quality" of the football may not be as good as it is currently in the premier league, I don't think there's an awful lot wrong with what we see towards the top of the championship/ bottom of the premier league. Also, unless the super league teams do a Chelsea and sign loads of players and then loan them out, there would be a surplus of these so called very talented players (the super league couldn't take them all) and some would have to accept playing in the domestic leagues.

Same applies to wages. Many/some would just have to accept the lower wages the domestic league could afford to pay. Would it be a bad thing if players didn't earn so much? 

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Without knowing the detail, but at a guess, this breakaway league would also decide it was free to play league games across the world, USA, China, middle east, wherever there's $$$$???

My guess is yes. They see the USA, Northern and South America, Chinese and middle eastern areas as more marketable than the European one because of the bigger population. 

The proposed league would run for 34 weeks, with matches on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, And knockout rounds at the end of each season.

The shareholdings aspect will proposed to be as followed: Real Madrid holding 18.77 per cent, Barcelona 17.61 per cent, United 12.58 per cent, while Bayern would be the fourth largest shareholder at 8.29 per cent. 

The logic that the breakaway league killing all other football is as flawed as the idea that the formation of the EPL proved to be the death of the Championship. It took a few years, admittedly, but we are now in the position where a mix of parachute payments and a desire to be in the top flight in general has sparked spending and football of the same level as seen in the bottom half of the Prem. I also don't believe you can make it exclusive (i.e. ban relegation and promotion) unless you are going to go to a NFL / franchise model.

One thing I can say for certain, I wouldn't want any team I supported to be a part of it.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The logic that the breakaway league killing all other football is as flawed as the idea that the formation of the EPL proved to be the death of the Championship. It took a few years, admittedly, but we are now in the position where a mix of parachute payments and a desire to be in the top flight in general has sparked spending and football of the same level as seen in the bottom half of the Prem. I also don't believe you can make it exclusive (i.e. ban relegation and promotion) unless you are going to go to a NFL / franchise model.

One thing I can say for certain, I wouldn't want any team I supported to be a part of it.

I firmly believe that is the entire point of it, it may take more evolution, but I think that's the model these giant clubs would prefer.

24 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Not sure away fans would continually provide the support required to create an atmosphere or spectacle for the games and they would lose any fascination of appeal over a period of time.

Agreed. I think a European super league would prove to be a massive own goal for the clubs involved. Removed from the lifeblood of genuine competition and local support, it would just become a repetitive and meaningless television spectacle, like wrestling. 

It's probably a stage we have to go through before the total marketisation of sport (and everything else) destroys it completely, and we have to begin again. 

As far as Derby are concerned, as long as we're not involved in that circus then I'm not particularly worried. Football is better off not being primarily a vehicle for financial speculation, and whatever is left after that bubble has burst is more likely to resemble the sport we all enjoy. 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Apparently the core teams or founders or whatever they will call themselves will be exempt from relegation for the initial 20 years. So only the invited teams could be relegated, which they will be because the core teams will be super rich. 

Can't see it happening, clubs can talk about it all they like but fans wouldn't accept it, not a chance and nor should they. 

If anything they will simply scrap FFP now it's been shown up to be a farce, let these big clubs take the gloves off and see who can bankrupt themselves first chasing the Champions League.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Can't see it happening, clubs can talk about it all they like but fans wouldn't accept it, not a chance and nor should they. 

If anything they will simply scrap FFP now it's been shown up to be a farce, let these big clubs take the gloves off and see who can bankrupt themselves first chasing the Champions League.

I’m against it but these leaks, the date 2021 and the fact that they have already allegedly decided shareholding’s suggests it’s a lot closer to completion than we think it is. Sure local fans would be against it, heck I would be but fans are hypocrites and would eventually join the bandwagon. I’m sure many said the same before the European cup was changed into the champions league format. Frankly, these elite clubs don’t care about their local fans as much as they should. I’m sure I read a statistic that they don’t even need 30% of their fans in their stadium long term to survive. These elite clubs are more concerned about satisfying their fans abroad because that’s where the money is at. Some of them like Man City may be against the super league idea, but they know they will be left behind financially, on the pitch and off the pitch and  if they don’t join it , their best players will leave.

Uefa seem  to be citing the basketball format which they argue works extremely well(I know nothing about basketball so I take their word for it) as an argument to create it. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Uefa seem  to be citing the basketball format which they argue works extremely well(I know nothing about basketball so I take their word for it) as an argument to create it. 

I watched Space Jam once, thought it was crap

Archived