Coming off your line training

rammieib

Carson has to help the defence more. He's a static goaly who too often relies on his defence to win headers. Injury or not, that second ball has to be his today but countless times today he stayed on his line when he should have come off. 

Just a frustration in another decent performance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Yes, staying on his line caused the lad to slice his clearance into the net.

I actually don't think it was Carson's fault

..BUT I was yelling all game for him to come out a bit more and its not first time. Land of the giants and we needed a bit more from him. Gestede missed one, both centre backs had free headers in 6 yard box. Just a bit more from him would have forced the crosses a bit less right under the bar.

Oh well... first 20mins we were as good as anyone you could see and he plays his part in that!

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Carson wasn’t great today on the ball, but no way should he be flying out for that. Bogle should be able to deal with that, can’t be blaming others. Unfortunate but there we go, it’s the riverside, thinks never go our way up there.

Sorry MR, but after that first deep ball he should be on his six yard line. As soon as the header goes up its easy to come out and catch it. Carson is a great goal keeper but today he didn't help his defence at all and when we know how dangerous they are with balls in, he needed to support more.

Bogle is an inexperienced kid making a lot of mistakes. He will learn from this for sure but point of the thread is not to find scapegoats, points of the thread is to show how Carson can improve his game by coming out more.

Carson was on his 6 yard line when Flint headed it in the air. Bogle volleyed it 4 yards away from Carson's starting position. He could have moonwalked there. I remember a goal last year when a player ran in to head a goal after running 12 yards for a cross when Carson only had to make 2.

He is a great keeper for this division but this is the weakest part of the game.  

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Carson was on his 6 yard line when Flint headed it in the air. Bogle volleyed it 4 yards away from Carson's starting position. He could have moonwalked there. I remember a goal last year when a player ran in to head a goal after running 12 yards for a cross when Carson only had to make 2.

He is a great keeper for this division but this is the weakest part of the game.  

Carson is already backtracking when Flint  heads it, if he had the ability to rewind the game and know where the ball is going, he probably would come off his line.

Unfortunately he has to make a split second decision, which was the right one as a Derby player was under the ball.

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Carson is already backtracking when Flint  heads it, if he had the ability to rewind the game and know where the ball is going, he probably would come off his line.

Unfortunately he has to make a split second decision, which was the right one as a Derby player was under the ball.

I would suggest he back tracks when he sees Flint head it, he chooses to back track before assessing the flight of the ball. 

Not sure how you can suggest it was the right decision, when he could have moonwalked the 4 yards to the ball and caught it unchallenged and instead we conceded. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I think he would have come for that but for Keogh injuring him. He half came for it but realised he couldn’t because of his injury. His overall game has improved a lot more than he was before but still a lot of room to improve.

Correct - Keogh’s fault

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't think he had that option, he either had to head it to Carson or out for a corner, or hook it over his shoulder and away. 

Correct I meant clear as in out for a corner. I was very disappointed to have conceded from our winning position but at Bogles age and experience he will learn from this.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Carson has to help the defence more. He's a static goaly who too often relies on his defence to win headers. Injury or not, that second ball has to be his today but countless times today he stayed on his line when he should have come off. 

Just a frustration in another decent performance.

Glad it’s only frustration, because it would be harsh to be hanging out one of the best keepers in the league for the last couple of years.

He dropped the ball the other day and Mount rescued him. Keepers may make an error every game, sounded like we should have killed them off long before.

If you’re saying he can improve that area of his game then fine; remember when he first came here I thought his kicking was weak, seemed to be a lot that went out of play.

Just don’t want to castigate him when his shot stopping has saved us so many times in the recent past.

C.O.Y.R’s he and we’ll be fine.

55 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't think he had that option, he either had to head it to Carson or out for a corner, or hook it over his shoulder and away. 

Or simply make a proper contact and put it over the stand he’s looking at. They then have a throw on the 18 yard area. I feel the defence is rightly being coached to play football rather than just smash it. But this was time to go against the grain and smack it hard enough to land in Hartlepool. 

Carson has been fantastic for us. One of the best keepers in the division. BUT his main (only?) weakness is his inability to dominate his 6 yard box. This was epitomised last week when his first attempt to catch a cross this season almost resulted in A Sheff u equaliser.

not having a go at him, certainly don’t think he was at fault for boro’s goal, but there’s a reason he’s still playing in the championship 

Archived