TVs

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m currently searching for a new TV but struggling to choose one. The main considerations (other than picture quality) being:

- 55 inch plus screen size

- Cost preferably below £700

- The TV will be sitting against a wall, perpendicular to a window (may get glare)

Any recommendations?

Currys?

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m currently searching for a new TV but struggling to choose one. The main considerations (other than picture quality) being:

- The TV will be sitting against a wall, perpendicular to a window (may get glare)

Any recommendations?

I’m actually in the market for exactly the same thing. So I’d be interested in answers you get (that don’t involve curry). 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m actually in the market for exactly the same thing. So I’d be interested in answers you get (that don’t involve curry). 

It's quite a general description though. At that price point there of hundreds of sets that fit the bill.

As a minimum you should be looking at a 4k ready, built in Freeview+ Smart TV.

I've had multiple Samsung TV's over the years, and they haven't missed a beat, but others will have had the same experience with other makes.

Make a wishlist of features you want, use Trusted Reviews, T3 etc to get decent independent reviews, go and view the model you've picked somewhere, and buy it.

If I could offer a golden rule, don't be tempted to save a few hundred quid by opting for a no name model that seemingly offers the same spec, stick to the big boys and ignore the supermarket and high street own brand versions.

Hey Ghost - as and when you decide which model you're after and have found your best price, drop me the details as I may be able to help you get an improved deal. I have accounts with the likes of Midwich, Techdata and Ingram Micro so I can buy at trade. I'm more about computer equipment but happy to help a fellow Ram if I can. Not a guaranteed saving as some retail outlets will loss lead on commonly bought items but worth a quick peak just in case.

Having a quick scan at your requirements and taking into account the positioning of your TV I'd look at something like the following which offers plenty of bang for your buck. The curved screen will help with the glare but some folk are not keen on wall-mounting them for aesthetic reasons. Not sure why personally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE65MU6220-Ultra-Curved-Smart-black/dp/B075JHZ1XS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539150825&sr=8-1&keywords=UE65MU6500UXXU

The above is a 65" 4K Ultra HD HDR LED Curved Smart TV - Amazon are quoting £799 which but you may find it a little cheaper by hunting around. Slightly over your budget but a decent bit of kit and good value at the quoted price. Bear in mind a decent wall mount will cost a fair whack too - Amazon quote around £125 for that though that price can definitely be beaten. Also, be mindful of the surface / wall you're mounting to. Stud walls or plasterboard need special attention as you don't want your shiny new telly crashing to the floor in the middle of X Factor (or like me, perhaps you do). As I said, happy to have a quick hunt for a trade price but I'm not sure I'd beat the Amazon price on the TV at least. 

Happy hunting! 

8 hours ago, reveldevil said:

It's quite a general description though. At that price point there of hundreds of sets that fit the bill.

As a minimum you should be looking at a 4k ready, built in Freeview+ Smart TV.

I've had multiple Samsung TV's over the years, and they haven't missed a beat, but others will have had the same experience with other makes.

Make a wishlist of features you want, use Trusted Reviews, T3 etc to get decent independent reviews, go and view the model you've picked somewhere, and buy it.

If I could offer a golden rule, don't be tempted to save a few hundred quid by opting for a no name model that seemingly offers the same spec, stick to the big boys and ignore the supermarket and high street own brand versions.

Either you are a serial TV purchaser of TV's or you are not telling the truth. Why would you change a perfectly good TV?  ?

Samsung for me.  Dont go curved apparently as great if you are sat in front of it but at an angle not great. 

Even something like a Samsung you get different prices for better quality,  go for best you can afford. 

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Any recommendations?

I’ve got 65 Hisense,just under 700.

All LG parts good 4K picture.

I always get mine from Costco but Richer Sounds or John Lewis are fine.

I use these for the warranty,I wouldn’t buy anything from Curry’s because of the shocking after sales service although the prices are ok.

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Samsung for me.  Dont go curved apparently as great if you are sat in front of it but at an angle not great. 

Even something like a Samsung you get different prices for better quality,  go for best you can afford. 

Everything I’ve read says Samsung, and we’ve got a Samsung tv now, which will move into a different room. So makes sense to stick with the brand. 

The only question mark is that Samsung weirdly haven’t embraced oled for their TVs, they’re still led, or qled (but dead expensive). 

It’s lg for a decent oled. But does oled matter that much?

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Everything I’ve read says Samsung, and we’ve got a Samsung tv now, which will move into a different room. So makes sense to stick with the brand. 

The only question mark is that Samsung weirdly haven’t embraced oled for their TVs, they’re still led, or qled (but dead expensive). 

It’s lg for a decent oled. But does oled matter that much?

Ok so here's the skinny - QLED is the Samsung equivalent technology to OLED - think Betamax and VHS. QLED has traditionally lagged behind OLED in overall quality but Samsung's 2018 models have new features that significantly close the gap. Both technologies share one thing - they're eye-wateringly expensive and while they are desirable, unless you're an exceptionally demanding viewer, the nigh-on 100% premium in price is probably not worthwhile. Once these technologies have 'bedded in' they'll be significantly cheaper - remember how much plasmas were! SO you can either wait a year or two then look again, stick with a good quality LED or buy a smaller set with OLED or QLED spec which will still be significantly out of budget. I mean a lot! 

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Either you are a serial TV purchaser of TV's or you are not telling the truth. Why would you change a perfectly good TV?  ?

Bought a 3d one 1st, upgraded that to a 4k one after a few years, and it now sits in my lads room, replacing the smaller Samsung he had, which is now in my nieces bedroom.

All were good but different.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Why would you change a perfectly good iPhone? Because technology evolves.

Archived