Phone signal at Pride Park

loweman2

I am at the end of my massive tether with my stupid phone being as much use as a brick when I go to the match.

its an iPhone X and I on sky which is the O2 signal.

i have tried lowering it to 3G as well as 4g but both as bad.

i can literally get nothing to respond that requires a signal, I often just want to check sky bet and other scores but it never loads up.

in this day and age I would expect an iPhone X costing £1,000 to at least receive a signal.

it shows a signal in the display but I have learned that means nothing.

i see people all around me using their phones so is it my phone, apple phones ? Sky /o2 or what ?

i have tried restarting it, reentering the Sky apn settings for data but nothing.

is there a club WiFi available ?

does anybody else have these issues or has anybody rectified it.

please help it is doing my head in !

cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on EE - fine most of the time, but half-time is a joke - I think it's just a network capacity issue as 20,000+ people reach for their phones - perhaps someone with the right contacts could ask a certain person if he fancies providing a decent public wifi in the ground? - we'd all be really grateful ?

Ok so that’s a start, it’s not just me but there does seem to be a much higher percentage without probs, we sit on the row directly behind the directors box and there are a number of scouts and officials from other clubs who are constantly looking at their phones and on Facebook and Twitter, I wonder if they are all given a WiFi code ? I may look into that as I have noticed that there are WiFi networks available.

as all technology is pretty much equal I can not see how some people are fine and others can’t get a data signal.

o2 have got a transmitter tower thing just over the road from Pride Park so you would expect a good signal 

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

perhaps someone with the right contacts could ask a certain person if he fancies providing a decent public wifi in the ground? - we'd all be really grateful ?

It was asked last year at the supporters meeting:

Q: With the RamsTV coverage on match days and the show asking for feedback throughout, is there any way in which 4g / wifi can be improved?

A: This is an issue that challenges every large sports stadia in the world. 4G/Wi-Fi coverage is dependent upon a wide range of factors. The biggest issue is congestion - the sheer number of people simultaneously trying to access at the same time.

We are investigating the possibility of testing Wi-Fi in a concourse in the next couple of months as we continue to gather information and we will update SCG accordingly.

We have recently installed an open Wi-Fi connection in the Fans Park and would appreciate feedback from supporters when they use this service.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/27504-241017-supporters-charter-meeting-minutes/

It'll be due to the amount of traffic trying to access the internet all at once. It's not just at Pride Park, or any football ground in specific really. Anywhere with a high concentration of people in a small area seems to result in a much slower internet connection.

There's not really an obvious solution to the problem, even a Wifi connection would suffer the same problems unless there was a separate connection for every block which isn't viable. If you're only wanting to check scores at the game then get LiveScore. Tends to work better than any other app I've tried in low signal. Never usually have too many problems with it, then save the rest for the walk back out of the ground when the connection becomes good as new again.

9 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Ok so that’s a start, it’s not just me but there does seem to be a much higher percentage without probs, we sit on the row directly behind the directors box and there are a number of scouts and officials from other clubs who are constantly looking at their phones and on Facebook and Twitter, I wonder if they are all given a WiFi code ? I may look into that as I have noticed that there are WiFi networks available.

as all technology is pretty much equal I can not see how some people are fine and others can’t get a data signal.

o2 have got a transmitter tower thing just over the road from Pride Park so you would expect a good signal 

Believe it or not, having a transmitter near the ground ain't a good thing... it means that all internet traffic connects through a single mast - hence, when everyone's at it, it doesn't have enough capacity.

12 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I can take this one.... There is a WiFi service called “Director’s box WiFi” as I saw it today when looking for alternatives to mobile data (none). So yeah, that’s what they’ll all be on. I wonder how we can get hold of that damn password!!!

I’m on Vodafone and it is garbage for data access in the ground. It must be a contention issue. I do a fair bit of in-play betting but can’t when I’m in the ground. That actually helped today as I’d have gone on Leeds at half time!

It makes me smile as i was talking about this today.i have 2 phones. One personal and then one for drugs deals obviously. 2 different networks. Neither work at PP. However i like others am probably addicted to trying it every few minutes..just in case..therefore giving the illusion that i have internet..when i havent. I do this just to annoy you.

42 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I am at the end of my massive tether with my stupid phone being as much use as a brick when I go to the match.

its an iPhone X and I on sky which is the O2 signal.

i have tried lowering it to 3G as well as 4g but both as bad.

i can literally get nothing to respond that requires a signal, I often just want to check sky bet and other scores but it never loads up.

in this day and age I would expect an iPhone X costing £1,000 to at least receive a signal.

it shows a signal in the display but I have learned that means nothing.

i see people all around me using their phones so is it my phone, apple phones ? Sky /o2 or what ?

i have tried restarting it, reentering the Sky apn settings for data but nothing.

is there a club WiFi available ?

does anybody else have these issues or has anybody rectified it.

please help it is doing my head in !

cheers

I have the same issue for years now

First O2 now Vodafone. I have had androids.

Always have signal but just buffers without loading. Get the odd text come through.

I can go the 90 mins without texting anyway so not too bothered anymore.

1 minute ago, drgoodspeak said:

I can take this one.... There is a WiFi service called “Director’s box WiFi” as I saw it today when looking for alternatives to mobile data (none). So yeah, that’s what they’ll all be on. I wonder how we can get hold of that damn password!!!

I can take this one.... Become a director at the club

Signal works fine after about 5 minutes into the game, someone near me made the fair point that it might be intentional, preventing people streaming the game out of the ground etc. Without joining the tin foil hat brigade, I do find it odd the signal returns at virtually the same time every game. 

4 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

I’m on Vodafone and it is garbage for data access in the ground. It must be a contention issue. I do a fair bit of in-play betting but can’t when I’m in the ground. That actually helped today as I’d have gone on Leeds at half time!

The password is r0wett2M_lol ?

Archived