First use of VAR in a Rams match

Carl Sagan

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I think even their manager said they had the rub of the green, however my point is that the laws are open to interpretation  by those that are officiating that game, unless they were all the same standard  and opinion then you will never get two games where the same decisions are applied.  No different tonising VAR imo.

Not really done much research on VAR but isn't it only used where there has been a clear mistake?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not really done much research on VAR but isn't it only used where there has been a clear mistake?

I believe it is used for most goals as well, to see if there are any reasons why it should be disallowed - check for offside/foul etc. 

Don't see an issue with it in my eyes. More Man Utd players may have used it before and could be cleverer with it though.

For those saying the same rules (rules being the use of VAR here) should apply in all games but sorry, you could be really pedantic and therefore say that it's unfair as each game has a different referee who will have different styles.

I still don't know if I like it or not, but I'm not against trialling it.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How I think it works is:

Every goal and every penalty decision is automatically checked. Linesmen (or women) are instructed not to flag for close decisions and wait for the play to come to its conclusion, in case they make the wrong decision and stop play when it shouldn't have been.

Other decisions are at the whim or the panel (moronically in their kit) in the VAR room (I think out near Heathrow) or if the ref specifically asks them to look at something. If the panel reckon a decision is wrong they instruct the ref to take a look on the pitchside monitor, but at that point the ref is under huge pressure to agree as they've said he should review it. In the World Cup the panel wrongly asked for reviews that the ref subsequently went along with - eg the World Cup Final itself was ruined as a result.

Also, there's an odd psychology. In England's first game when Harry Kane was being wrestled to the ground at corners, the reviewing ref in the VAR room with responsibility now says he knew they should have been pens and he had to press the button to alert the referee, but he was incapable and terrified of the responsibility, and the button shrank in front of him. He just couldn't bring himself to make the call. Hopefully we won't have panel refss who can't accept the responsibility to go against Jose.

13 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

@Paul71 already explained why. I don’t see how it’s irrelevant.

Obviously it’s the same for Utd and Derby, but why should those 2 be benefited with a decision being made by VAR when teams in other games aren’t? 

Personally I’d rather it wasn’t used in any game ever and know that’s an unpopular opinion.

How is it relevant to Burton in their game for example if VAR helps the officials come to the correct decision in our game? How is it relevant to us if an incorrect decision is made in another tie because they're not using VAR?

Also, we might not "benefit" and neither might Man U. It could be we'll "suffer" if VAR rules against us. The only people that will benefit are the officials.

I do have a problem with the game being interrupted but have no issue with the concept even for limited games for trial purposes. 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Also, there's an odd psychology. In England's first game when Harry Kane was being wrestled to the ground at corners, the reviewing ref in the VAR room with responsibility now says he knew they should have been pens and he had to press the button to alert the referee, but he was incapable and terrified of the responsibility, and the button shrank in front of him. He just couldn't bring himself to make the call.

That is odd - I don't remember the names of the VAR panel being public in the world cup? Hard to understand what he was scared of. If he got it wrong no one would hold it against him surely? I think the Refs probably like it as it takes a lot of the "we always get poo refs" chanting away and the subsequent pressure to get the next decision right and not lose control of the game as 30,000 fans and 22 players get on your back

Like the old Graham Poll after-dinner story about how, when faced with a tricky decision he knew would go down badly, he'd trot over and earnestly chat to the linesman. Then he knew the fans would blame the linesman for it  not him!

On 20/09/2018 at 18:17, Millenniumram said:

Can’t come soon enough to get this into the game, referees make so many poor and frustrating decisions that it ruins the game at times for me. Think it’ll work in our favour at United as well where we’ll almost certainly be faced with a homer ref.

What it means is that when the ref cocks things up or favours the big club, we can appeal and ask for the opinion of a whole load of refs who crock things up and favour the bigger clubs. Great, that should really change things.

And when it finally arrives in the EFL, assuming we aren't promoted by then, we can appeal to a bunch of refs who crock things up and favour virtually any club that isn't Derby County.

Archived