First use of VAR in a Rams match

Carl Sagan

When we travel to Man Utd in the League/Carabao Cup, video replays will be available to the referee. In a somewhat asymmetric ruling, the EFL decreed at the start of the season that ties played on Premier League grounds will benefit from the technology.

I think this will be a sllight safeguard for us, especially after some poor decisions of late, but the technology can only work long term if it is integrated into the spectacle and becomes entertainment, such as the HawkEye replays in cricket and tennis that are played for the crowd on big screens. Or the American football referees at least miked up and announcing to the crowd what is being reviewed. Stopping the game with no information for the paying spectators reveals the lack of intelligence of the game's administrators. But I shan't complain if it means we're awarded an injury-time penalty for an unexpected winner.

Story in the DET: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/var-used-derby-countys-carabao-2020333

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

So if I'm reading that right, the Premier League voted against using it in their league games, but were happy to agree to trial it in the FA Cup and League Cup. The two competitions they don't govern. That's very big of them

Exactly!  

Let's not forget though we are part of a football pyramid where referees who are deemed not fit to be in charge of Premier League games are then demoted to the football league! 

You're either fit to ref or your not, it really is that simple, the rules are the same at every level.

4 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Shouldn’t be allowed to use it at some games in the same completion and not others.

Agree. What if we or utd get a penalty awarded that wins the game, but had it not been for var it wouldn't have been given. In a game elsewhere the same offence could happen but is missed and someone goes out.

Same as goal line technology,  not used in all games, cant remember which teams cant have it but not all in the championship do, what if a goal is not allowed because they don't have it and it costs someone promotion or relegation. 

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

So if I'm reading that right, the Premier League voted against using it in their league games, but were happy to agree to trial it in the FA Cup and League Cup. The two competitions they don't govern. That's very big of them

the prem clubs are doing some games this season with var. problem is that they dont think they currently have the resources to handle all the games at once apparently.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't really see why not. It's the same for both Man U and Derby. It's irrelevant what happens at other games.

@Paul71 already explained why. I don’t see how it’s irrelevant.

Obviously it’s the same for Utd and Derby, but why should those 2 be benefited with a decision being made by VAR when teams in other games aren’t? 

Personally I’d rather it wasn’t used in any game ever and know that’s an unpopular opinion.

9 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

@Paul71 already explained why. I don’t see how it’s irrelevant.

Obviously it’s the same for Utd and Derby, but why should those 2 be benefited with a decision being made by VAR when teams in other games aren’t? 

Personally I’d rather it wasn’t used in any game ever and know that’s an unpopular opinion.

I dont want it. At times its been a farce stopping the game for several minutes. 

If they can speed it up so a decision takes seconds then fine. Do it in international Friendlies till they get it sorted.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because all teams should be playing using the same rules, it's that simple.

Still the same rules, just means that they are getting some help making sure they are applied correctly.

i welcome it, many games Man Utd have had a decision that balances the game in their favour because of their stature, crowd or pressure from the sidelines, this will help to ensure that this is reduced and a fair outcome is achieved.

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Still the same rules, just means that they are getting some help making sure they are applied correctly.

i welcome it, many games Man Utd have had a decision that balances the game in their favour because of their stature, crowd or pressure from the sidelines, this will help to ensure that this is reduced and a fair outcome is achieved.

Yes it works in our favour...hence why it is unfair on other teams. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nope but I'm bound to say that as a Derby fan

I think even their manager said they had the rub of the green, however my point is that the laws are open to interpretation  by those that are officiating that game, unless they were all the same standard  and opinion then you will never get two games where the same decisions are applied.  No different tonising VAR imo.

Archived