Derby world cup style squad

Mostyn6

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Absolutely. I just saw it and thought, "what a brilliant idea" and started to contemplate mine as I read through. Only to discover I'd already offered a squad back in 2018 and this wasn't new thread to distract us from our current predicament! 

Let's hope the second wave proves bigger than the first. 

Is your squad now matching your squad from then?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although i was alive and followed them a bit when the likes of Shilts Wright Saunders and Goddard were around, my first season where I barely missed a game either on the radio or watching was 92/93. So here goes:

GK: Poom, Carson, Grant

Defenders: Charles, Rowett, C.Powell, Dorigo, Stimac, Carbonari, Laursen, Riggott

Midfield: Carsley, Idiakez, Eranio, Pembridge, Asanovic, Hughes, 

Forwards: Baiano, Wanchope, Sturridge, T.Johnson, T.Smith, Strupar

That was so difficult to do. Some really good players miss out. That bloody 3 GK rule!!!

1Mart Poom

2Dave Langan

3David Nish

4John McGovern

5Roy McFarland

6Colin Todd

7Bruce Rioch

8Archie Gemmill

9Kevin Hector

10Charlie George

11Ted McMinn

12Lee Grant

13Jacob Laursen

14Chris Powell

15Lee Carlsley

16Igor Stimac

17Mark Wright

18Nigel Callaghan

19Dean Saunders

20Paolo Wanchope

21Georgi Kinkladze

22Giles Barnes

23Graeme Moseley

Played it by the rules of the game - very much like the caveat that it's based on the form with us (hence no place for Shilton). Subs aren't always based on being the best 23 but to how they might offer something different.

GKs - Poom.  Shilton.  Carson

DEFs - Larsen.  Brayford.  Stimac.  Johnson M.  Wright M.  Keogh.  Forsyth.  Powell. C

MIDs - McMinn.  Asanovic.  Van Der Lann.  Taylor I.  Osman.  Oakley.  Commons

FWDs - Saunders.  Sturridge.  Wanchope.  Biano.  Bueno.

On 13/09/2018 at 23:13, 1of4 said:

7: Hebberd. T

On the beauty of football opinions, I think if you had asked me to put together a squad of 230 I wouldn't have found a place for Trevor, but then again looks like I was the only one who considered Giles Barnes worthy (I did go on the rule of how they played for us).

I'm just waiting for the inevitable 'Worst XXIII' - us football fans do always seem to need to do this to ourselves. Chance for Paul Emson, John Middleton, Tomaz Hajto, Blessing Kaku and Jonathan Chadwick to come to the fore.

16 minutes ago, Taribo said:

I'd much prefer a Dog Poo Derby XI thread, but we'd all just list 2007/08

That’s why you pick 23 in a world cup style. But have loan players excluded and/or minimum of 25 apps. Requires more consideration. 

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Is your squad now matching your squad from then?

Good question. Writing this without looking to see if I've changed my mind about anyone. 

Keepers: Poom Carson Shilton

Defenders: Langan Laursen McFarland Todd Wright Stimac Nish Powell (Chris) 

Midfielders: Gemmill Rioch Asanovic Eranio Daly Thorne 

Strikers: Hector George Saunders Barnes Hinton Wanchope 

Notes:

It's a bit of a toss up between Shilton (long past his best with us) and Boulton who was in his prime with us, but always a weak link in a very strong team. 

This feels too defensive but my word we've had some great defenders over the years. Gutted to leave out Taribo West whose level was so far above the rest of the team it was unreal. 

Wanted more wingers for balance but who to leave out? So the likes of Kinkladze, James, Commons missed the cut but were considered. Davison, Goddard and Sturridge also unlucky to miss out. 

On 04/12/2020 at 13:37, Carl Sagan said:

Good question. Writing this without looking to see if I've changed my mind about anyone. 

Keepers: Poom Carson Shilton

Defenders: Langan Laursen McFarland Todd Wright Stimac Nish Powell (Chris) 

Midfielders: Gemmill Rioch Asanovic Eranio Daly Thorne 

Strikers: Hector George Saunders Barnes Hinton Wanchope 

Notes:

It's a bit of a toss up between Shilton (long past his best with us) and Boulton who was in his prime with us, but always a weak link in a very strong team. 

This feels too defensive but my word we've had some great defenders over the years. Gutted to leave out Taribo West whose level was so far above the rest of the team it was unreal. 

Wanted more wingers for balance but who to leave out? So the likes of Kinkladze, James, Commons missed the cut but were considered. Davison, Goddard and Sturridge also unlucky to miss out. 

Boulton was never a weak link. My memory could be failing with age but I can't remember many major mistakes made by him that caused us to lose a game. He didn't play in every game in two championship winning teams, under two different managers, by being a weak link.

On 04/12/2020 at 13:37, Carl Sagan said:

Missed seeing this, but it's nonsense. Boulton was a cracking keeper and if he'd played for a 'big team' he'd have played for England, no question of that.

30 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Boulton was never a weak link. My memory could be failing with age but I can't remember many major mistakes made by him that caused us to lose a game. He didn't play in every game in two championship winning teams, under two different managers, by being a weak link.

Agree. Boulton was a very very good keeper 

Archived