Best first game of the season?

Bris Vegas

What has been your best or favourite first game of the season watching Derby?

Or Derby’s best first game of the season in terms of result or performance?

In recent years I can’t really think of a decent one. We beat Rotherham 1-0 a few years back but the performance was flat.

I’m pretty sure we beat Leeds at Elland Road in one of the Clough seasons.

But mine from memory is probably our first game back in the Championship, under John Gregory in 2002 I think.

Beat Reading 3-0. Could have been seven or eight. Rob Lee scored a cracking opener. I was sure we’d walk the league after that game. We then turned crap while Reading had a decent season. 15 odd years ago that. Time flies...

Anyway. Best Derby first game of the season?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly don’t think we’ve had a good opening game in my time watching, gives me more than slight concerns over tomorrow. 1-0 over Rotherham is the only win that sticks in my head. Did we draw the opener of the prem disaster too? Seem to remember naively thinking we could be alright....

We are usually bad starters 

worst was probably Cambridge in the 80s third tier - got beaten 3 nil. Think Dion Dublin was playing for them 

best - probably the late Jeff Hendrick winner against Rotherham the other year - enjoyed that 

48 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We tonked Sunderland 5-0 one year. That was fun. A Sunderland fan got out of the away pen, walked across the pitch and threw his shirt in manager Terry Butcher’s face. 

Pembridge top corner ??

49 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We tonked Sunderland 5-0 one year. That was fun. A Sunderland fan got out of the away pen, walked across the pitch and threw his shirt in manager Terry Butcher’s face. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, irobinson said:

worst was probably Cambridge in the 80s third tier - got beaten 3 nil. Think Dion Dublin was playing for them 

best - probably the late Jeff Hendrick winner against Rotherham the other year - enjoyed that 

Has Jeff Hendrick died? I must have missed that. 

47 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

2011-2012 when we won the first 4 games which is pretty unheard of for Derby. I thought we was promoted at that point.

How naive was i?

Saying that, if we beat Reading tonight and Leeds next week, we are definitely going up.

SkyBet have us at 14/1 to win our first 3 games...

That's Reading (a), Leeds (h) and Millwall (a)

4 hours ago, irobinson said:

I don't think so.

George Reilly was the centre forward.

Archived