Mount and Bryson - who covers/rotates?

Duracell

1 hour ago, Bigfella said:

I never said he could cover, someone mentioned a blond lad who played, so I supplied the name and gave my view of him. I don’t think we’ll see much of him this season but I think he is one for the future

Ahhh no worries 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree entirely with the OP here, this is my greatest concern too. It’s a position that will no doubt require a fair bit of rotation across the season when we’re playing at such high tempo, and at the moment the cover options are either no good or don’t suit. Think resolving this would be my biggest priority before the window shuts. Could do with shifting Johnson, butterfield and Hanson and bringing in replacements.

Not Johnson. People say Johnson had a good game when he manages to do the basic stuff everyone else can do when they're having an average game. 

There's a couple of areas that need some attention when it comes to cover. I like our starting 11 and I'm excited about the way we've played but with a long long season ahead I'm not sure if we have the depth to take on injuries and suspensions while still playing that high intensity. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not Johnson. People say Johnson had a good game when he manages to do the basic stuff everyone else can do when they're having an average game. 

There's a couple of areas that need some attention when it comes to cover. I like our starting 11 and I'm excited about the way we've played but with a long long season ahead I'm not sure if we have the depth to take on injuries and suspensions while still playing that high intensity. 

It’s mad that we can have a massive squad and still have no depth. Awful recruitment.

We’ve got about 35 strikers and 937 wingers over the age of 30. Plus Butterfield.

Oh and all of them are on £40k because we got excited when they ran past a couple of Barnsley players in 2015.

Butterfield would be my back up, mobile, has a decent engine and can score goals when played further forward. He hasn't become a bad player overnight, it's a strange one with him. He should be on the bench against Reading, Johnson is not a better option. 

I imagine Johnson will be first choice to step in. I also think he will be in the 18 most weeks to cover the DM and forward mids positions. Just my opinion. 

We have been linked with a few young CMs this transfer window so maybe one will come in as Franks already realised we need better depth for his style of play

2 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Butterfield would be my back up, mobile, has a decent engine and can score goals when played further forward. He hasn't become a bad player overnight, it's a strange one with him. He should be on the bench against Reading, Johnson is not a better option. 

Except Butterfield is incapable of playing a fast tempo passing game. He takes too long to think about what he is doing. We've seen no evidence he is able to play quick, incisive forward passes at any point at Derby. Johnson also scores goals. Butterfield is not even close to the class on the ball of Mount, or the mobility of Bryson.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Except Butterfield is incapable of playing a fast tempo passing game. He takes too long to think about what he is doing. We've seen no evidence he is able to play quick, incisive forward passes at any point at Derby. Johnson also scores goals. Butterfield is not even close to the class on the ball of Mount, or the mobility of Bryson.

Everything you've described about Butterfield also describes Johnson. 

Just now, reveldevil said:

Surely we've got enough players?

We definitely have, just a lot of the wrong type of players - unfortunately.

As mentioned we’re lacking a midfield runner if Bryson and Mount get injured/suspended. If Ledley gets injured, by tomorrow we could have three senior options waiting in line to replace him: Huddlestone, Thorne and Evans. It’s an odd situation. 

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We definitely have, just a lot of the wrong type of players - unfortunately.

As mentioned we’re lacking a midfield runner if Bryson and Mount get injured/suspended. If Ledley gets injured, by tomorrow we could have three senior options waiting in line to replace him: Huddlestone, Thorne and Evans. It’s an odd situation. 

I think it's almost certainly a case of being limited due to the squad size. Ideally we'd have at least one midfielder who could compete for a spot with Bryson and Mount. It might be (after yesterday) that FL views that player as being Wilson or at least sufficiently strong cover there. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I agree. I don't think either are good enough as a backup. 

I think the Butterfield of Huddersfield might be but he's a ways off that kind of form and he'd probably needs a fresh start. Its definately an area we could with competition or a talented understudy.

Personally right now, I'd rather just have Elsnik on the bench but he seems to not be favoured at the minute. 

It's currently Butterfield and Johnson as cover, in close to the roles we signed them for after the Bryson and Hughes injuries.

I'd like better, but it's unlikely to happen. Maybe we'll get a few out and bring in a young 'un to back them up, but it'll have to be outs first, surely.

Archived