The stupid things people say .

Frogram

As in :- "  He'll be looking down on us from above . " Really  !  Do people think their ex relative / friend / favourite pop star ,  is sitting on a cloud above us wearing a pair of comedy wings, and carrying  a small untuned harp ?" This seems to be perpetuated by the media who seem to enjoy the sight of footballers and other sportsmen throwing kisses to an empty sky . Grow up I say !

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Frogram said:

As in :- "  He'll be looking down on us from above . " Really  !  Do people think their ex relative / friend / favourite pop star ,  is sitting on a cloud above us wearing a pair of comedy wings, and carrying  a small untuned harp ?" This seems to be perpetuated by the media who seem to enjoy the sight of footballers and other sportsmen throwing kisses to an empty sky . Grow up I say !

Or maybe it provides people some comfort from losing loved ones.

But surely nobody , even in their most desperate , saddest moments , could believe that to be true . I have lost many family members , friends , and cherished animals in my adult life , but never once have I entertained the thought that they are " up there " .

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Frogram said:

But surely nobody , even in their most desperate , saddest moments , could believe that to be true . I have lost many family members , friends , and cherished animals in my adult life , but never once have I entertained the thought that they are " up there " .

Everyone handles grief differently.

1 hour ago, Frogram said:

Grow up I say !

And they'll probably suggest that you mind your own business regarding how they choose to deal with loss and grief. 

Me and the kids have decided that our old Labrador has gone to live with the cows - whenever we pass a field of cows we look for him (he was very much like a cow in life - lazy, greedy etc.). Now we all know really that he died - but it helps to think of it another way. Same principal surely?

2 hours ago, Frogram said:

Some people absolutely believe to be true, many more are undecided and really wish it to be true.  Minus the comedy wings and harps I mean.  It's a comforting thought for a lot of people and I don't begrudge them that comfort, even though like you I don't believe such things myself..

11 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You are misunderstanding Nietzsche. 

Definitely not.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach you about the raising of the wrist.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Was he suggesting traumatic experiences make us more resilient?

Not so much traumatic experiences as the existential horror of staring into the abyss of our own nothingness. 

Cheered me up anyway. 

Archived