Things you are good at!

Coneheadjohn

Sith Happens
On 05/07/2018 at 22:48, reveldevil said:

That's a hard question to answer without getting bogged down in detail that wouldn't mean much to someone who doesn't do the same role, at the same company.

The job is 90% repetition, but I'm always looking for ways to shave even 10ths of a second off the previous time the job took, through improvement in process or organisation, just because that pleases me personally.

I have colleagues who've told me in the past to slow down, because the boss will start expecting the same effort everytime, but I don't buy that mindset, and I watch them deliberately slow down when put under the slightest pressure to produce, so they won't be asked again!

I've never got that attitude, work brings its own rewards I find, do well by your employer and they'll tend to do right by you.

Great attitude well done. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a hard question to answer without getting bogged down in detail that wouldn't mean much to someone who doesn't do the same role, at the same company.

The job is 90% repetition, but I'm always looking for ways to shave even 10ths of a second off the previous time the job took, through improvement in process or organisation, just because that pleases me personally.

I have colleagues who've told me in the past to slow down, because the boss will start expecting the same effort everytime, but I don't buy that mindset, and I watch them deliberately slow down when put under the slightest pressure to produce, so they won't be asked again!

I've never got that attitude, work brings its own rewards I find, do well by your employer and they'll tend to do right by you.

I agree,  but I see both sides now too.

But putting that aside, I’ll always look after a subbie who seems to go the extra mile and thinks about my side of the work instead of just when finishing time is.  When I sub contacted I always thought of the bigger picture, never cut your nose off the spite your face.

I like this,just do the best you can even when you’re struggling.

Very true on your employer.

Finding an item I need (item 1), having it in my hands, getting distracted, thinking of something else I need (item 2), putting down item  1 to search for item 2, finding item 2 then spending 5 minutes frantically running around unable to find item 1 again, during which time I've put down item 2 somewhere else, or I've taken my glasses off because they're annoying me (becoming item 3), and upon finding item 1 spend another 5 minutes looking for item 2 again.

I'm ducking brilliant at that, daily practice has honed my skills to such a level that it just comes as second nature.

God that's so the opposite to me!

On 10/07/2018 at 15:10, leamram said:

We're slowly taking over, you seen the massive Derby flag outside the fox and vivian?

It had gone last time I drove past. I thought maybe an angry mob of Florist fans had ripped it down and burnt it in the pump room gardens. 

Archived