Tammy Abraham - Joined Aston Villa

LB_DCFC

4 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I would be very disappointed if Abraham went to Villa. Last week it was suggested he would remain at Chelsea until at least January. Bruce has too many players and cant possibly know his best team. Derby should use the money from Jerome to get Abraham for the season. Waghorn and Marriott can play on the left and right of a front 3. Abraham scored pots of goals for an average Bristol City side and surely must be on the radar.

If we play Marriott and Waghorn out wide, what happens to Lawrence, Wilson, Jozefzoon, Bennett and Holmes? We have 5 wingers playing backup to 2 strikers being played outside of their natural position? Abraham would be brilliant, but we're fine for strikers with Marriott, Waghorn and Nugent

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cam the Ram said:

If we play Marriott and Waghorn out wide, what happens to Lawrence, Wilson, Jozefzoon, Bennett and Holmes? We have 5 wingers playing backup to 2 strikers being played outside of their natural position? Abraham would be brilliant, but we're fine for strikers with Marriott, Waghorn and Nugent

Lawrence and Wilson are currently injured and are unlikely to play on Saturday. Neither Marriott nor Bennett are proven at this level and Nugent is 33 years old and probably won't be able to play a full 46 games plus Cup games. With Jerome apparently on his way signing Abraham is a no brainer. Letting him go to a rival is plain stupid. Talking of decent midfielders Izzy Brown did well for Huddersfield and was taken on loan by Leeds yesterday! I thought Lampard had contacts at Chelsea!

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

Lawrence and Wilson are currently injured and are unlikely to play on Saturday. Neither Marriott nor Bennett are proven at this level and Nugent is 33 years old and probably won't be able to play a full 46 games plus Cup games. With Jerome apparently on his way signing Abraham is a no brainer. Letting him go to a rival is plain stupid. Talking of decent midfielders Izzy Brown did well for Huddersfield and was taken on loan by Leeds yesterday! I thought Lampard had contacts at Chelsea!

What does Lawrence and Wilson being doubts for a game 1 day away have to do with signing Abraham for a season? Marriott and Bennett might not be proven at this level, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get the chance to prove themselves. It seems silly to me to spend a huge chunk of money on Marriott and Waghorn to then just loan in a striker and leave those 2 on the bench or used outside of their natural positions. As for Izzy Brown, why would we want another winger/forward when we have probably too many already?

Abraham is proven at this level. Clearly you want to finish 10th as what we have won't scare any of the better sides. If you want to finish top 2  or 3 then Abraham is a must. When Lampard was signing Waghorn etc it was reported that Abraham would only go out on loan to a Premier league side. It was then reported that he would remain at Chelsea until January.

Just now, Harrowram said:

Abraham is proven at this level. Clearly you want to finish 10th as what we have won't scare any of the better sides. If you want to finish top 2  or 3 then Abraham is a must. when Lampard was signing Waghorn etc it was reported that Abraham would only go out on loan to a Premier league side. It was then reported that he would remain at Chelsea until January.

You're such a drama queen ?

Yes, because I want us to make use of someone who scored 30+ goals in League 1 last season and someone who scored 16 at this level I must want us to finish 10th. Jesus Christ man, I don't know why I even bothered trying to have a sensible conversation with you ... I never learn

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

You're such a drama queen ?

Yes, because I want us to make use of someone who scored 30+ goals in League 1 last season and someone who scored 16 at this level I must want us to finish 10th. Jesus Christ man, I don't know why I even bothered trying to have a sensible conversation with you ... I never learn

Abraham is a proven player at this level with an international cap to his name who is on the books of one of the top English teams. Marriott played for Luton and Peterborough, isn't match fit and hasn't scored. Waghorn has been around for ages. Didn't cut the mustard at Sunderland or Leicester, did well in a mediocre league in Scotland and had one good season playing on the right at Ipswich. I know who I prefer. It isn't drama it is common sense!

I would love Abraham - but would echoed others thoughts. At the time or writing, we have four strikers (Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent and Martin). Even if Martin goes - two bench warming is an expensive approach.

We then have 5 wide players (Lawrence, Wilson, Jozefzoon, Bennett and Holmes) without even considering playing any of our strikers wide (which I though we had all grown tired of?!).

All in all, if we got him - it would mean isolating a player, most likely one we have only just brought to the club. Not a great advert for the club, nor a good use of finances for a club that are supposedly close to the FFP limits.

The only place I would want to see a new body is either CB if Pearce is let go, or CM if Butterfield is let go. If neither of those things happen - I would rather we went with what we have.

God knows we could still let a fair few others leave and it would have absolutely zero effect on the quality of our squad.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

@reluctantnicko.

VILLA. Centre of universe today. Abraham people up to do deal. Big one for all concerned. Puncheon still waiting. Souare a no go. Moukoudi a late call. Never dull.

1:51 PM - 31 Aug 2018

How do Villa do it,3 weeks ago HMRC were after them and they couldn’t pay the cleaner?

I bet the team spirit is fantastic ?.

11 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Abraham is proven at this level. Clearly you want to finish 10th as what we have won't scare any of the better sides. If you want to finish top 2  or 3 then Abraham is a must. When Lampard was signing Waghorn etc it was reported that Abraham would only go out on loan to a Premier league side. It was then reported that he would remain at Chelsea until January.

One player would help us finish in second - if that was the case we didnt need to buy the other 9.

Why didn't you tell Frank all of this at the end of May?

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Abraham is a proven player at this level with an international cap to his name who is on the books of one of the top English teams. Marriott played for Luton and Peterborough, isn't match fit and hasn't scored. Waghorn has been around for ages. Didn't cut the mustard at Sunderland or Leicester, did well in a mediocre league in Scotland and had one good season playing on the right at Ipswich. I know who I prefer. It isn't drama it is common sense!

Abraham has had 1 good season at this level.

Conor Sammon has international caps, David Nugent has an international cap, Darren Bent had international caps. Michael Rickets got an international cap. Means nothing. 

9 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

1. waghorn played most of his matches up front 2. No-ones saying they're better players than abraham, but because of the sheer number of players we have for those positions, signing abraham would be adding to our problem in terms of suqad size 3. What makes you think We can afford Abraham's wages (50k p/w rumoured) or if he'd rather come here than Villa? 4. Because we don't have abraham we're going to finish 10th, can you tell me the lotto numbers as well please mate? 

Because it was stated that Abraham would only go out on loan to a Premier league or equivalent club. I am sure Frank was fully aware of Abraham's circumstances. However the situation seems to changed recently in that he appears to be prepared to go to a Championship club. In that case i don't see why Derby wouldn't be interested particularly as Jerome appears to be on the way out.

Because it was stated that Abraham would only go out on loan to a Premier league or equivalent club. I am sure Frank was fully aware of Abraham's circumstances. However the situation seems to changed recently in that he appears to be prepared to go to a Championship club. In that case i don't see why Derby wouldn't be interested particularly as Jerome appears to be on the way out.

5 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

1. waghorn played most of his matches up front 2. No-ones saying they're better players than abraham, but because of the sheer number of players we have for those positions, signing abraham would be adding to our problem in terms of suqad size 3. What makes you think We can afford Abraham's wages (50k p/w rumoured) or if he'd rather come here than Villa? 4. Because we don't have abraham we're going to finish 10th, can you tell me the lotto numbers as well please mate? 

if you want to get promoted it is generally helpful to sign the best players available. Wolves did and the signing of Mitrovic and 5 other loanees from Premier League clubs helped Fulham hugely. You may argue that Cardiff bucked the trend and Villa should have been promoted on the strength of their spend as should Middlesbrough. For me Abraham was the one Chelsea player who was best suited to helping our cause given his previous experience in the Championship and I am disappointed after all that has been said and done that he appears to be going to a rival. If they are paying £50 k per week in addition to the high wages they already pay they must have issues with FFP.

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Abraham has had 1 good season at this level.

Conor Sammon has international caps, David Nugent has an international cap, Darren Bent had international caps. Michael Rickets got an international cap. Means nothing. 

If he is as poor as you say he is why are Villa interested? Abraham has only had one season in the Championship and it was successful. Waghorn has had loads of unsuccessful seasons in the Championship. Nugent has had many successful seasons in the Championship but age counts against him.

What you can'y deny is that abraham is a quality player at a quality club and could make a positive difference were we to take him on loan.

4 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

If he is as poor as you say he is why are Villa interested? Abraham has only had one season in the Championship and it was successful. Waghorn has had loads of unsuccessful seasons in the Championship. Nugent has had many successful seasons in the Championship but age counts against him.

What you can'y deny is that abraham is a quality player at a quality club and could make a positive difference were we to take him on loan.

Where have I said he is poor? 

Just pointing out the flaws in your argument. 

16 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

if you want to get promoted it is generally helpful to sign the best players available. Wolves did and the signing of Mitrovic and 5 other loanees from Premier League clubs helped Fulham hugely. You may argue that Cardiff bucked the trend and Villa should have been promoted on the strength of their spend as should Middlesbrough. For me Abraham was the one Chelsea player who was best suited to helping our cause given his previous experience in the Championship and I am disappointed after all that has been said and done that he appears to be going to a rival. If they are paying £50 k per week in addition to the high wages they already pay they must have issues with FFP.

Fulham and Wolves signing their loan players was in a completely different situation, though. Wolves signed on loan so they didn't have to pay fees for the players unless they went up or could sign them the next ffp year, and then they immediately bought them as soon as it was almost certain they were going up. Fulham had a light squad, so the loan singing of Mitrovic was completely necessary. We, on the other hand, have a bloated squad, with at least 4 players vying for the 1 striker spot, with 2 new players already in the building. you are essentially alienating one of your new signings immediately, which will have negative effects on squad harmony etc. And yes, I don't understand how Villa are going to get around FFP if they don't go up. I'm sure if we could've signed abraham before signing our 2 strikers, we would have, but it now seems unlikely.

I find this discussion very strange, as I understand it he has not signed for DCFC!

So why on earth are people discussing his merits or other wise!

If he was indeed contemplating joining us, reading this thread would definitely seal it.

AVFC here I come.

Harrow - I think everyone is agreeing with your assessment of his quality.

The blockers to this have been stated as financial - and trying to reduce the squad size. If Martin and Nugent were both to leave today - I suspect everyone would be thrilled to get him in.

Until then - it is not really viable to do so. If Potato Head wants to do it - let him. See if he can do to Villa what Uncle Harry did to Portsmouth.

Archived