World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Argentina are awful. They’re too slow and can’t get the ball to Messi, and when they finally do, he’s got three men on him straight away and no movement infront of him.

He’s having to pick the ball up in his own half as his teammates are useless and can’t get the ball to him within 30 yards of the opposition’s goal.

Dreadful. Feel sorry for Messi, he never stood a chance with this lot.

I don't feel sorry for him at all.

He bitched about Iceland. What will he say about Croatia?

This is fantastic.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now please tell me who really is better now...... Ronaldo done it at two clubs, won a Euros with an “average” Portugal side, I’d dig out the quote on here by some if I would after Euro 16. 

Messi needs a good team round him..... Ronaldo doesn’t..... especially at international level.

Well done Croatia, think they may have a chance to win it now. 

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Argentina are awful. They’re too slow and can’t get the ball to Messi, and when they finally do, he’s got three men on him straight away and no movement infront of him.

He’s having to pick the ball up in his own half as his teammates are useless and can’t get the ball to him within 30 yards of the opposition’s goal.

Dreadful. Feel sorry for Messi, he never stood a chance with this lot.

Messi was just as bad as most of the rest of his team in this game. Lacked mobility and effort. Its not only his teammates responsibility to create space for him, sometimes you have to find space for yourself.

Some of his teammates were absolutely awful, granted, but Messi was poor.

They were set up completely wrong - their manager got that so wrong its unbelievable. 

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Now please tell me who really is better now...... Ronaldo done it at two clubs, won a Euros with an “average” Portugal side, I’d dig out the quote on here by some if I would after Euro 16. 

Messi needs a good team round him..... Ronaldo doesn’t..... especially at international level.

Oh yeah, see what you mean.

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Never understood the ‘two clubs’ argument. Doing it against Paul Jewell’s Derby isn’t really worth many more bonus points 

When you’ve got the best player on the planet, you have to find a way to best utilise his ability.

Argentina were so slow, they couldn’t get the ball to Messi and when they did he was swarmed straight away. Portugal found a way to get the ball to Ronaldo in dangerous areas, I could probably count the number of times where Messi received the ball in the final third in space on one hand.

For him to have a good game, and make a mark, he would have had to have done everything himself. Croatia aren’t mugs, they’re a decent side who set up well to block space.

Argentina’s tactics were awful. Too defensive in midfield with two slow holding players, no pace outside.

It was basically a 5-2———-1—2 formation. Messi was just surrounded all the time, and basically had to try and do the midfield’s job for them by dropping so deep for the ball.

The Ronaldo vs Messi debate is easy to comprehend. Messi is simply a better football, while both need a team to help get the best out of them. In that Argentina team, if Ronaldo was Argentine, how would he have made an impact. Both Aguero and Higuain also barely touched the ball. You can’t make an impact in the final 3rd if you don’t get the ball there in space.

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It's amazing to think that Croatia top the group while playing in first gear.

Imagine how good they will be when they click?

A scary prospect.

Without trying to downplay Croatia, they also did very little until they were gifted a goal. Then they were allowed to play counterattacking football, and looked decent.

They, like Mexico, will look a top team when they’re winning and counterattacking. But if they go 1-0 down, they will then start to look pretty average as they lack that top technical ability of a Spain or France to really break down a team who knows how to defend and control games.

Archived