World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Take it from me this is the worst World Cup to bet on. So unpredictable.

Yeah I don't bet, but I am included in the stakes at work where we all have to predict the group results.

I've only got two right so far (Belgium 3-0 Panama and Croatia 2-0 Nigeria). I've been one goal out on about five occasions, but it's safe to say I'm not doing too well.

I predicted both Colombia and Poland to win earlier 2-1. Doh. Wrong way round!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So happy for Russia to be all but through, but it was one of the more painfully obvious outcomes in the tournament.

I just find it funny how quickly the narrative has shifted from ‘Russia need a miracle to get out of the group’ to ‘Russia have coasted through the weakest group in the competition.’

They were never going to be favourites to progress but I was surprised by just how many people were counting them out. Even many of my closest Russian friends had completely disregarded the knockout stages as a possibility.

Having Saudi Arabia first up was always going to set the tone. Could they have asked for a better opportunity to get a win and a confidence boost? I always thought the belief and momentum garnered from the opening win would carry them through.

Having lived there for four years, it’s especially sweet to see their success because the national team haven’t been a source of joy or pride for a very long time.

So it’s good to think that tonight’s win will have put an immovable smile on some familiar faces.

And rightly so. Russia have shown the right level of desire and commitment and more than enough moments of quality to deserve to go through.

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

So happy for Russia to be all but through, but it was one of the more painfully obvious outcomes in the tournament.

I just find it funny how quickly the narrative has shifted from ‘Russia need a miracle to get out of the group’ to ‘Russia have coasted through the weakest group in the competition.’

They were never going to be favourites to progress but I was surprised by just how many people were counting them out. Even many of my closest Russian friends had completely disregarded the knockout stages as a possibility.

Having Saudi Arabia first up was always going to set the tone. Could they have asked for a better opportunity to get a win and a confidence boost? I always thought the belief and momentum garnered from the opening win would carry them through.

Having lived there for four years, it’s especially sweet to see their success because the national team haven’t been a source of joy or pride for a very long time.

So it’s good to think that tonight’s win will have put an immovable smile on some familiar faces.

And rightly so. Russia have shown the right level of desire and commitment and more than enough moments of quality to deserve to go through.

I said from the start that Russia would win it.

Host nations traditionally do well (if they have a decent-ish team - I don't expect this to apply to Qatar!)

Then there is a the corruption angle. Would you like to be the Ref who gets the knock-out stage game, getting a "visit"?

Notice how the ref insisted that the Egypt penalty was outside the box? VAR is a gift to the Ref who wants to avoid making major decisions. Like the old Graham Poll anecdote about going over to consult the linesman over a penalty decision purely so that the home fans will blame the lino and not him ?

Don't get me wrong - Russia are a decent side and will do well, but don't be surprised to see them get a few fortuitous decisions go for them along the way..

The one time I don't pick Ronaldo to get the golden boot in all the world cups hes been in, and hes going to get it. Typical.

While Portugal aren’t looking too great, they’re still creating chances for the best striker on the planet so they’re still giving themselves a decent chance to win.

With Harry Kane just as prolific, if England can do the same we can go very far in this tournament on his goals alone.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

While Portugal aren’t looking too great, they’re still creating chances for the best striker on the planet so they’re still giving themselves a decent chance to win.

With Harry Kane just as prolific, if England can do the same we can go very far in this tournament on his goals alone.

Trippier's looking like he's going to be very important with that in mind. His chance creation is superb. 

Archived