Mid season break from 19/20

Day

The Football Association, Premier League and EFL have announced a new annual Mid-Season Player Break, starting from the 2019/20 season.

The two-week Mid-Season Player Break will take place in February and would be structured to ensure that Premier League matches would still be played every weekend over that period.

Each weekend during the Mid-Season Player Break will feature five Premier League games on the first weekend and five on the following weekend.

To incorporate the Mid-Season Player Break, The FA has agreed to move the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round matches to midweek. In addition, from the start of the 2019/20 season, Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round replays will be removed from the calendar, being replaced with extra time and penalties.

All three divisions within the EFL will remain unchanged, with a full League programme for all 72 EFL clubs taking place on each of the weekends where there is a Mid-Season Player Break.

Full Story: https://www.efl.com/news/2018/june/efl-unaffected-by-201920-introduction-of-mid-season-player-break/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In February though? I know its still winter but that's like a couple of months from the end of the season. Seems odd. Was expecting January.

I assume the only reason is for PL players to be "refreshed" for international tournaments?

I find it funny how international players from other nations who play in the premier league are fine, it's only the English ones who are knackered.

Anyway, I'm sure this proposal will be scuppered because it doesn't really provide the club's an opportunity to go on money-spinner tour in Asia.

How can you change the FA Cup rules just for one round?  Or have they changed that for every round? 

Also, if we have to pull the FA Cup match into midweek, do we lose a midweek match elsewhere, as we will still have to play our regular Saturday games?

I notice all 10 of the Prem fixtures over the fortnight 'break' will be shown live on tv, yet they say they will profile the EFL games during this time. Again, doesn't make sense to me.

Very much favouring tv rather than live fans, in my opinion.

What’s the actual science behind having a winter break? Surely fixture congestion will be just as bad an issue if not worse? 

For example, when they played each other Barcelona had played as many games from the end of their winter break onwards as Chelsea had from Boxing Day. 

I don't mind the notion of a mid-winter break, but this is so half-hearted its almost pointless. It gives players a weekend off - wow!

Don't Premier League players get that already through squad rotation?

If you are going to do it for the good of the national team (or perhaps the foreign national teams that 70% of PL players represent) then do it properly and close for three weeks immediately after the Christmas and New Year programme.

If that means midweek rounds and doing away with replays in the FA Cup then so be it. After all it is a luck-of-the-draw knockout competition and the final and semis haven't had replays for years.

37 minutes ago, angieram said:

Also, if we have to pull the FA Cup match into midweek, do we lose a midweek match elsewhere, as we will still have to play our regular Saturday games?

I doubt we have to worry about them moving the FA Cup 5th round fixtures...

So what if we get a bad winter, and 4th round matches end up being postponed by 2 or 3 weeks so that they intrude into the mid-season not really a break? Will they remove potential replays from those too?

4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

No mid season break for us then. That's a shame. Just for a second I though we might avoid our annual February meltdown.

Read again. It says 3 EFL divisions and 72 clubs. Perhaps we're not part of the EFL anymore?

7 hours ago, ramblur said:

Read again. It says 3 EFL divisions and 72 clubs. Perhaps we're not part of the EFL anymore?

Conference here we come...

13 hours ago, eddie said:

So what if we get a bad winter, and 4th round matches end up being postponed by 2 or 3 weeks so that they intrude into the mid-season not really a break? Will they remove potential replays from those too?

Winter came in march this year which caused the fixture congestion. 

Particularly for Cardiff ?

Archived