Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

We’ve seen him used in 3 different systems. The only one he was effective in was to the detriment of the rest of the team. Even the tactically stunted Rowett knew what playing him meant for the rest of our play. That’s why he was often benched. Unless we build the term around him and rely on his form (which I think would be a mistake) then he’s not going to be as effective.

I just can’t see him producing the goods again.

Well good players are good players and he was brilliant with Troy Deaney at Watford. 

I accept he will be sold but I’m disappointed I won’t see him in a Derby shirt again. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yeah I gathered that by your previous post, but what about his contract? Give him a new one and go against the plan of trimming the wage bill or let it run down and risk losing him for much less or even nothing? 

Trimming the wage bill doesn’t mean trimming all wages. We just need a proper structure, best 3/4 players on high wages. Next 3/4 on medium wages and the young uns on lower wages. We currently have loads on high wages who frankly don’t deserve to be. Nothing wrong with keeping the best striker in the championship on high wages, if Frank sees him as pivotal to our future 

7 minutes ago, cosmic said:

We’ve seen him used in 3 different systems. The only one he was effective in was to the detriment of the rest of the team. Even the tactically stunted Rowett knew what playing him meant for the rest of our play. That’s why he was often benched. Unless we build the term around him and rely on his form (which I think would be a mistake) then he’s not going to be as effective.

I just can’t see him producing the goods again.

How was it detrimental to the rest of the team?? The system and personnel who tore Cardiff a new one once Vydra was playing and who  beat Barnsley convincingly and Fulham too in the first leg. Wasn’t detrimental to anyone, in fact got the best out of several of them. What was detrimental to the team was Dickwad dropping him for the 2 nd leg 

4 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Trimming the wage bill doesn’t mean trimming all wages. We just need a proper structure, best 3/4 players on high wages. Next 3/4 on medium wages and the young uns on lower wages. We currently have loads on high wages who frankly don’t deserve to be. Nothing wrong with keeping the best striker in the championship on high wages, if Frank sees him as pivotal to our future 

But it wouldn't be keeping him on the high wages he's already on, it would almost certainly result in him wanting even larger wages after last season at whichever club he ends up at. I'm not sure we're in a position to take such a big risk giving a player a wage increase after his first good season for us when there's little guarantee he'd do as well under Frank. I see it as us keeping him would actually be a bigger gamble than us selling him now

I think it's inevitable Vydra will be sold, unfortunately.

I suspect it will be in the next financial year though, not this one, so any paper profit over and above his RV can be used to offset the paper losses on Butterfield and Johnson when they're released at the end of their contracts.

I could maybe see a case for another year for Johnson, but it's very hard to see us extending Jacobs contract on the evidence of his stay so far.

Which reminds me, I should add him to @Bob The Badger's thread on players you were wrong on!

35 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

But it wouldn't be keeping him on the high wages he's already on, it would almost certainly result in him wanting even larger wages after last season at whichever club he ends up at. I'm not sure we're in a position to take such a big risk giving a player a wage increase after his first good season for us when there's little guarantee he'd do as well under Frank. I see it as us keeping him would actually be a bigger gamble than us selling him now

If we want to keep him we don’t need to offer a new contract yet . He’s got 2 years left, see how he goes for 6 months and if he’s still doing well offer him a better contract then. No gamble needed 

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If we sell Vydra to a rival championship club I will not be happy.

not in a position to be rejecting bids matching our valuation from anyone really. Don't think any premier league club would take a chance on him after his showing at west brom and even for us 16/17 and reading the season before that, it shows he has large dips in form in him. Only real options are other championship clubs and abroad, and i don't see any foreign clubs paying 12m+ for him.

Archived