Structure and vision

Mafiabob

Is this finally a turning point in Mels ownership of the club?

Does he realise that we feel rudderless without much structure?

Does he finally have a vision and identity for Derby now.

Not digging at the guy, as you know all my feelings about his tenure..... but it could be a pivotal and good moment to actually change the direction of the club.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Not digging at the guy, as you know all my feelings about his tenure..... but it could be a pivotal and good moment to actually change the direction of the club.

Every new managerial appointment has been a pivotal moment to change the direction of the club. Problem is (and to borrow your ship analogy) we’ve zigged and zagged so much we’re still heading in the same direction - on course for collision down **** creek.

Mel needs to stop the contradictions, pick a path and stick with it.

His next move will be massive.

Edit: Just want to clarify I don’t blame him for Rowett leaving, although some responsibility must be taken for the state Rowett’s leaving the club. 

I hope he doesn't have a vision and identity in place yet. Something like that is best discussed with potential managerial candidates before being set in stone. It is also something best kept between the Chairman and the manager, rather than announcing an all encompassing philosophy and then not sticking to it. The fans will be able to see what the vision and identity is from what happens on the pitch if the manager is given time to work towards it.

I have been critical of Mel and I may be jumping the gun here, but I'm pretty happy with the way Stoke's approaches for Rowett have been handled by our club. Contrast the level headed dignity this time around with the petty recriminations and rudderless hysteria that accompanied Newcastle's interest in McClaren. Contrast the results. An emotion driven decision to sack McClaren resulted in everyone getting exactly what they wanted, other than Derby, who were left with diddly squat. A logic driven decision to offer Rowett an improved contract gave the club the best chance of stability, whilst ensuring we are adequately compensated should he leave.

Hope he does - has a vision - something like (with some metrics!)and a sustainable one - some examples  - don't shoot me down!!

1 Get 3 under 23s in the first team squad by X

2 New (resourceful) Manager with record of success - and will play attractive football

3 3-5 year horizon and clear vision of what success looks like

4 Season Tickets  - uplift year on year on sales

5 commitment to fans / community etc

6 Prem by X - (next 3 years)

7 Keep going on remembering the history and culture of the club, embrace the legends strategy - and build the brand without weasley words and crass

No Nos

1 Publicity stunts - sitting in South Stand

2 Moronic - sayings  - like "Derby Way"

3 Alienating the fans - who are the people which make a football club

flipping eck I'm the new CEO!!!

8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Too much damage done now and MM apparently losing interest. More than ten years out of the PL we have become an established championship club, with a clueless Chairman presiding over the mess he has helped to create. 

We need a coherent plan and we need to stick to it. Feels odd to say this now after what? 4 years? We had a plan but swayed too far away from it in the pursuit of instant glory and quelle surprise, doesn't work quite as easy as that.

We need to choose a direction and identity for this club to head towards and stick to it. Recruit personnel alongside this identity. If it doesn't work, don't tear it all up and go for something completely different.

Smaller steps in the same direction is going to get us where we want to be more successfully than trying to make huge jumps randomly all over the place.

8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Hope he listens to an experience. Can’t keep making rash Manager decisions and I’m not blaming him for Rowett either.

Sure was exciting when he was splashing his cash, but everyone in Football knew we were over paying, including selling clubs; really needs a good right hand man to run the club and perhaps a “football” man who will offer wise opinion on Manager recruitment and the like. So far he’s been a bit too excitable as a owner fan, that has to change.

Maybe this will be a turning point for the better.

20 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

There is no such thing as "identity"

If we go up its happy days, if we dont, then we dont

Cardiff fans dont give a **** about identity or any other ****, they are just happy they have got promoted. I envy them

Give it two years and they will though.

22 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

If we go up its happy days, if we dont, then we dont

Cardiff fans dont give a **** about identity or any other ****, they are just happy they have got promoted. I envy them

There is such thing as identity, and people care about it - myself included. Just because you value promotion above all else doesn't mean you speak for every other derby fan on the planet.

1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Hahahaa. Sorry I don't think my former reply did justice to how absurd of a statement this is. 

To be a bit more condescending, here's the merriam webster definition of the concept you deny the existence of. 

Definition of identity
plural identities
1 a : sameness of essential or generic character in different instances
b : sameness in all that constitutes the objective reality of a thing : oneness
2 a : the distinguishing character or personality of an individual : individuality
b : the relation established by psychological identification
3 : the condition of being the same with something described or asserted establish the identity of stolen goods
4 : an equation that is satisfied for all values of the symbols

Archived