Question on refereeing

I actually thought the ref last night was pretty good.

But how on earth can you book somebody for time wasting in the time added on period and then not add any more time on?

The fact you booked them means they wasted time so that should be added on.

Also did anybody else notice that a number of Fulham's corners were taken when the ball was clearly out of the quadrant? The camera angle meant you could see grass between the ball and the paint.

I doubt either things would make a jot of difference, but ya know, just having a gentle whine.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

But how on earth can you book somebody for time wasting in the time added on period and then not add any more time on?

Also did anybody else notice that a number of Fulham's corners were taken when the ball was clearly out of the quadrant? The camera angle meant you could see grass between the ball and the paint.

I doubt either things would make a jot of difference, but ya know, just having a gentle whine.

The question I have is when Johansen stopped us from counter attacking in the first half, blatant trip and yellow card that he got away with, then he would not have been able to commit the crude challenge on Jerome that he did get booked for which would have given us a 3 on 2, what could have happened?

You do not get anytime added for a booking or sending off the time wasted by the player is added at the refs discretion.

As for the corner has long as the circumference of the ball is on the line then it is legal just the same  as in or out of play..

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

The question I have is when Johansen stopped us from counter attacking in the first half, blatant trip and yellow card that he got away with, then he would not have been able to commit the crude challenge on Jerome that he did get booked for which would have given us a 3 on 2, what could have happened?

This is a issue I have in these games in a normal league game that is a yellow everyone no question and 99% of ref's will give one.For some reason in the bigger games you can get away with a ticking off, the rules are the same but are not applied the same it seems.

Yeah, the booking players for time wasting and then not adding on the time afterwards seems to have been standard procedure for referees for years now.  Very frustrating, and surely it only encourages players to time waste.

As for Johansen definitely should have been booked in the first half.  Again it seems when referees give the attacking team the advantage and the foul is only addressed when play stops, as was the case in with Johansen, they more often than on let the offending player off with a verbal warning rather than a yellow card.  I don't know why this is, but it's a trend that I've noticed, it's almost as if after a cooling off period they are less likely to issue cards.  

Johansen's hack in the second half was such blatant cheating that it deserved a red card on it's own in my opinion.  However, tactical fouls of that nature, in that part of the pitch never get more than a yellow, along with the obligatory and hypocritical praise from commentators (who normally dislike cheating) for 'taking one for the team'.

I seem to remember one in the 2nd half that nobody made much of a fuss over.

We was on the break and a fulham player came in with no intention of going for the ball, as well as hit foot being pretty high with studs showing. Potential red?

Thought i'd add i don't particularly care or think it would change the outcome. Just thought it was worth discussing.

Think the one thing professional football could do with is taking timekeeping away from officials..... black and white then and everyone can see when it’s stopped and started again.

Youll find majority of them would quite happily give up this. 

18 minutes ago, Beagle said:

You do not get anytime added for a booking or sending off the time wasted by the player is added at the refs discretion.

As for the corner has long as the circumference of the ball is on the line then it is legal just the same  as in or out of play..

I'm 99% sure some of the actual ball has to be at a bare minimum touching the line (maybe that is what you meant?). It's not enough to have the ball hanging over if nothing is touching. 

I've looked on a few sites showing images of what is legal and none show the ball with grass between it and the arc anf they had at least 3 like that last night.

It's something and nothing, I was just curious if anybody else had noticed.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I thought the same, but someone pointed out to me, first half one was macdonald, 2nd half one on jerome was Johanssen 

Just the circumference I am a ref.....on my course it was one of the thing they displayed gradually moving the ball asking if you thought it was in or out.Finally put a ruler up on the line and rolled the ball to it to show that at that point the ball is still in play......same applies to a corner.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm 99% sure some of the actual ball has to be at a bare minimum touching the line (maybe that is what you meant?). It's not enough to have the ball hanging over if nothing is touching. 

I've looked on a few sites showing images of what is legal and none show the ball with grass between it and the arc anf they had at least 3 like that last night.

It's something and nothing, I was just curious if anybody else had noticed.

Take an aerial view... has all of the ball crossed all of the line? 

The only challenge I didn’t really get was on the second half that their defender seemingly went in two footed. I mean, he got the ball but it wasn’t the most graceful of challenges and it wasn’t picked up by anyone. Aside that I had no real complaints over the game.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Take an aerial view... has all of the ball crossed all of the line? 

I went to the FIFA site and still couldn't even figure it out. They had picture there, and there was nothing that suggested it could be clear of the line, but over it from above.

And from an officiating point of view that makes zero sense. It's way easier to tell whether a ball has gone out if touching the white line is the determining factor.

If a ref or linesman is 20 yards away they can never say equivocally, on a close call, where a ball my be over the line if they were hovering over it. But that can tell if it clipped or didn't clip the line.

Has this changed? I'm damn sure that it wasn't the case many moons ago.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yes I was astonished when the final whistle went wasn’t even the full six minutes leave alone any added on for the goalie time wasting 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I went to the FIFA site and still couldn't even figure it out. They had picture there, and there was nothing that suggested it could be clear of the line, but over it from above.

And from an officiating point of view that makes zero sense. It's way easier to tell whether a ball has gone out if touching the white line is the determining factor.

If a ref or linesman is 20 yards away they can never say equivocally, on a close call, where a ball my be over the line if they were hovering over it. But that can tell if it clipped or didn't clip the line.

Has this changed? I'm damn sure that it wasn't the case many moons ago.

When does the ball go out of play for a throw in, corner, etc...?

Archived