Mid table at best next season I reckon

oldtimeram

Our better players will be gone and a few cheap old heads wanting their last big pay cheque will be bought in to replace them. I think Candy Crush will close the purse strings now and we will drop back in to obscurity for a few more seasons.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly I agree with you. It will take a Nigel Clough type job for a couple of years to sort this mess out and to lower the age of the squad, which is ironically what Rowett was brought in to do.

Experience counts for nothing. Defensive football isn’t rewarded, attacking football is in this current climate. Man City and Liverpool have shown this season that attacking is far more important. 

I agree. It important to have a good defence but games can never really be won with negative defending tactics...... Go out and attack and don't sit back if we get a goal...... Far more exciting for the fans and our nerves too. 

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Did this need a new thread?

If people respond maybe?  All threads take a different view and perspective so why not? Now we are consigned to another season in the Championship it takes on a more definite significance I believe. 

All it takes is one or two youth players to come from, 1 or 2 young signings and 3 or 4 older ones to leave and it will all of a sudden look completely different. 

I think Lowe, Bogle, Elsnik and Thomas will be around the 18. Sign one or two 20-25 year olds for the midfield and ship a few out where possible.

It really won't take a lot to sort out, in my opinion.

Just now, oldtimeram said:

Is Rowett the right guy to do it?  Not saying he isn't, but just asking views as I have a few doubts 

Midtable like OP expected? I think Rowett can get us there, no doubt.

I’m not sure how predictions like this can be made the day after one season has ended. We have no idea who will come in or who will leave. How many of the youth players will break through? What impact will they have?

We may well finish mid-table, but that was also a prediction by many for this season too. At least wait a couple of weeks before writing next season off before it’s began.

9 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Is Rowett the right guy to do it?  Not saying he isn't, but just asking views as I have a few doubts 

He's shown how he plays - that'll get the young, exciting players beating a path to his door! Palmer will tip them the wink. ?

Sidewell and Kenny Miller are free agents aren’t they....probably see them signing over the next few days.

In all seriousness, GR is the man for a mid table finish, he will set us out not to lose and with it will comes some wins, some defeats and a lot of bore draws, once he gets rid of Vydra, it will give him a couple of quid to bring in more athletes more akin to his style of playing, and countiue to suck the life out of any enjoyment watching the team.....on the plus side the beer takings will go up in the concourse.     

I think we will get play offs again next year, I mean look at the teams below us, are any of them that good?

And ageing players dont turn into **** overnight, I understand their value may decrease but this whole "Will our older players be able to perform next season (Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome, Ledley, Anya) is just a load of tosh

Id argue to say, keep the same team and improve on our front 3/4 (by selling vydra, martin, bryson, butterfield) and we have a chance of automatics. 

Our away results have been good , its the home games which we have let ourselves down in (Too many draws and shock defeats)

1 hour ago, Norman said:

All it takes is one or two youth players to come from, 1 or 2 young signings and 3 or 4 older ones to leave and it will all of a sudden look completely different. 

I think Lowe, Bogle, Elsnik and Thomas will be around the 18. Sign one or two 20-25 year olds for the midfield and ship a few out where possible.

It really won't take a lot to sort out, in my opinion.

3 kids, sign 2 youngish players and ditch 4 oldies. I think that is a lot of sorting out. Loans will be hard to do due to way we misused Palmer.

With bent, shackell and baird (no contract as yet?) wages saved, albeit we have butterfield, Bryson, Martin, Blackman and all the under 23’s back, no money from mr Mel to bankroll us, a season of transition is ahead I see, or can Rowett transform what he’s got and get the players returning into his formation?

its going to be interesting but I agree a mid table season is upon us with hopefully a few transferred and blood guy, Elšnik and others into the team. 

Archived