NFL 2018 Season

r4derby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Magic moment for Brees, just the 62 yard TD pass to do it as well.

Aye got the full game replay on the go while I work. Looking forward to the 5 minutes of celebrations I heard about ? 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Aye got the full game replay on the go while I work. Looking forward to the 5 minutes of celebrations I heard about ? 

Hah, yeah seen a clip of that. Looks like they go for a 2 point conversion as well, so he’s going round shaking every man and his dogs hands, with a bit of a look on his face of, come on I’ve got a ball to throw here...

This may not be Fantasy Football, but willing to listen to offers for Eli and the Giants O-line...will accept a packet of salt & vinegar crisps (flavour can be negotiated). Goodness me, that unit including QB is holding us back big time. Awful

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

This may not be Fantasy Football, but willing to listen to offers for Eli and the Giants O-line...will accept a packet of salt & vinegar crisps (flavour can be negotiated). Goodness me, that unit including QB is holding us back big time. Awful

Kept saying it about my Beckham trade, doesn’t matter how good the WR is when you’ve got that QB and O line. Against a good Defence they’re going to struggle to do anything.

I've spent a lot of the last week putting a conscious decision to getting into 'merican football. It's certainly worked. I've watched all the all or nothings and now I'm somewhat obsessed. I just haven't made a decision on who to throw my full support behind. I watched the game on Thursday night, which in all honesty was my first full NFL game that I could follow. I loved seeing Drew Brees win the record, despite not hearing of him before the game, it touched home. I could therefore throw my full weight behind the Saints. 

I watched the Eagles & Giants last night, the only thing that I came away with knowing little about the sport: Barkley looks a great talent, Beckham didn't look like much & Eli Manning needs to hang his boots up. 

Any suggestions other than the Saints. I really liked the Cardinals All or Nothing, but most of the guys that I liked have gone now. I'm open to being manipulated. 

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've spent a lot of the last week putting a conscious decision to getting into 'merican football. It's certainly worked. I've watched all the all or nothings and now I'm somewhat obsessed. I just haven't made a decision on who to throw my full support behind. I watched the game on Thursday night, which in all honesty was my first full NFL game that I could follow. I loved seeing Drew Brees win the record, despite not hearing of him before the game, it touched home. I could therefore throw my full weight behind the Saints. 

I watched the Eagles & Giants last night, the only thing that I came away with knowing little about the sport: Barkley looks a great talent, Beckham didn't look like much & Eli Manning needs to hang his boots up. 

Any suggestions other than the Saints. I really liked the Cardinals All or Nothing, but most of the guys that I liked have gone now. I'm open to being manipulated. 

Ive said this to my mates about the game, once you go all in and make the effort to really understand the game, there’s no turning back ?

when you don’t have the local or family connection it can be quite difficult to fall on a team you really want to throw your support behind. Speaking for myself and from what some of the others have said, it can be a case of trying a couple of teams out before you find a connection with one.

ps... Vikings are the best ??

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Whatever the reason for choosing a team, however small or irrelevant, stick with the team. The great thing about sports in America is that all teams have their chance to be the best. In the NFL there are established franchises with a history of winning and those with a history of not winning. But it’s competitive.

The Saints in the Sean Payton/Drew Brees era have been a point scoring machine (at times) and Brees is a likeable family man. Yet the Saints will look different in a few years when he retires. My reason for the Giants was that my mate got into the sport in 2006, as a Colts fan due to Peyton Manning, and we went to New York on hols. I watched a game in the hotel one night, decided I needed a team and loved New York. Prefer Blue to Green, and so accepted the Giants as my team. A year later we won the Super Bowl. I’ve seen 2 SB winning seasons and a whole bunch of below average performances. But the Gmen are my team and will be for life now 

6 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Whatever the reason for choosing a team, however small or irrelevant, stick with the team. The great thing about sports in America is that all teams have their chance to be the best. In the NFL there are established franchises with a history of winning and those with a history of not winning. But it’s competitive.

The Saints in the Sean Payton/Drew Brees era have been a point scoring machine (at times) and Brees is a likeable family man. Yet the Saints will look different in a few years when he retires. My reason for the Giants was that my mate got into the sport in 2006, as a Colts fan due to Peyton Manning, and we went to New York on hols. I watched a game in the hotel one night, decided I needed a team and loved New York. Prefer Blue to Green, and so accepted the Giants as my team. A year later we won the Super Bowl. I’ve seen 2 SB winning seasons and a whole bunch of below average performances. But the Gmen are my team and will be for life now 

Yeah it’s not about the winning, otherwise we wouldn’t all be Derby fans ?

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

This is an Atlanta Falcons forum. We're all Falcons on here (except those that aren't).

@Ambitious in all seriousness, you have an ideal opportunity to latch on to the Rams and quite possibly win a Superbowl in your first season... they have a bright young coach (McVay), a top young QB (Goff), the best RB in the NFL (Gurley) and the best DEF in the NFL... ideal for a glory hunter!

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Been with the saints since the days when Ch 4 had the show in the '80's. Then was something to do with supporting the underdog as I think I remember a commentator saying that the Saints franchise had started in 1968 and they were then the only team not to have reached the playoffs ever.

That and they had a natty gold and black strip did it and I have looked out for their results ever since ?

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If you’ve smashed all three of those in a week why stop there ?

Theres plenty of Hard Knocks on Sky to get stuck into which will give you insights into a few more teams. (Bengals, Falcons, Texans, Rams, Buccs and this year was the Browns). 

Watching Seattle v Oakland at the moment because there's nowt else on. Can someone tell my why they never do more than one pass per play? Seems like only one guy is allowed to throw it to one of two runners (right or left) and it always goes forwards. Are the blockers not allowed to touch the ball? Also why does the quarterback always absolutely nail it to his team mates even if they are like 5 yards away, makes it harder for them to catch?

6 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Watching Seattle v Oakland at the moment because there's nowt else on. Can someone tell my why they never do more than one pass per play? Seems like only one guy is allowed to throw it to one of two runners (right or left) and it always goes forwards. Are the blockers not allowed to touch the ball? Also why does the quarterback always absolutely nail it to his team mates even if they are like 5 yards away, makes it harder for them to catch?

As very much an amatuer, I'm keen to answer to see if I'm right. I'm sure one of the others will tell me if I'm wrong: 

1) I don't believe there is any reason why they can't play one pass per play, however it increases their risk of an interception which is what they're critically trying to avoid. If they try to make a pass and the receiver doesn't touch it, but neither does the opposition team then it goes down as an incomplete pass and they just have another go. You have 4 goes to make 10 yards, known as downs, usually the first two attempts are typically the fullback or running back having a run with the ball trying to get through the opposition defence to make it 10 yards (or more) so they can go back to 1st down further up the field. They try and avoid passing until further down the field due to the opposition having the chance of an interception. Although, you do often get 'fumbles' which is where a tackled player drops the ball prior to hitting the floor. 

2) everyone has the right to touch the ball, but the great thing about the game is that each position is very specific to their role. The blockers are usually 6'4"+ and weigh the same amount as a small car. You wouldn't want them running with the ball, you just want them to keep the defence out for long enough that the quarterback, fullback or running back can make their play. 

3) The quarterback nailing it to his teammate: I've noticed that and thought sometimes it's just asking for trouble, but these guys are well-drilled and throwing it hard means that there is less chance of someone getting in between the pass and making the interception. 

I believe that's all spot on, but I've only been watching the sport, albeit quite a lot, for a week. 

I had my first accumulator on the games today, like every other weekend one team let me down: I had Falcons to beat Buccaneers, Seahawks to beat Raiders, Vikings to beat Cardinals, Rams to beat Broncos, Chargers to beat Browns, Steelers to beat Bengals & very unfortunately Panthers to beat Redskins. Nightmare. It would have been a very welcome win! 

Cowboys with the result of the day, anyway - @Mr Tibbs will be happy!

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

As very much an amatuer, I'm keen to answer to see if I'm right. I'm sure one of the others will tell me if I'm wrong: 

1) I don't believe there is any reason why they can't play one pass per play, however it increases their risk of an interception which is what they're critically trying to avoid. If they try to make a pass and the receiver doesn't touch it, but neither does the opposition team then it goes down as an incomplete pass and they just have another go. You have 4 goes to make 10 yards, known as downs, usually the first two attempts are typically the fullback or running back having a run with the ball trying to get through the opposition defence to make it 10 yards (or more) so they can go back to 1st down further up the field. They try and avoid passing until further down the field due to the opposition having the chance of an interception. Although, you do often get 'fumbles' which is where a tackled player drops the ball prior to hitting the floor. 

2) everyone has the right to touch the ball, but the great thing about the game is that each position is very specific to their role. The blockers are usually 6'4"+ and weigh the same amount as a small car. You wouldn't want them running with the ball, you just want them to keep the defence out for long enough that the quarterback, fullback or running back can make their play. 

3) The quarterback nailing it to his teammate: I've noticed that and thought sometimes it's just asking for trouble, but these guys are well-drilled and throwing it hard means that there is less chance of someone getting in between the pass and making the interception. 

I believe that's all spot on, but I've only been watching the sport, albeit quite a lot, for a week. 

I had my first accumulator on the games today, like every other weekend one team let me down: I had Falcons to beat Buccaneers, Seahawks to beat Raiders, Vikings to beat Cardinals, Rams to beat Broncos, Chargers to beat Browns, Steelers to beat Bengals & very unfortunately Panthers to beat Redskins. Nightmare. It would have been a very welcome win! 

Cowboys with the result of the day, anyway - @Mr Tibbs will be happy!

This is a very good, brief summary of an NFL game. You could go into a lot of detail, but to understand the basics, this will do.

The highlighted bit is only but I’d point out, teams now are more likely to try a range of big plays on first down. Run first teams may run, but 2018 NFL is more about passing and play action, where creative OC’s think up plays to get down the field. There are still teams that run on first and second down, but these teams are often viewed as prehistoric - think Pearson playing his style of 442 football against any of the modern style coaches (Pep, Klopp in Prem, Wolves/Leeds in Champ). 

Archived