Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

5 hours ago, ramit said:

That used to confuse me too, but once it was explained to me, it's straight forward enough

If you have a cake but then eat it, you no longer have a cake

Supposed to mean those who want something for nothing

Ah, I see says the blind man. I knew there must be a logical explanation to it. Thanks for educating me. 

12 hours ago, Strange yearnings said:

Cheap at half the price. What on earth does that mean? If you bought something for a fiver of course it would be cheap for £2.50. The original phrase was Cheap at twice the price, which makes sense. Why it changed, Gawd knows. 

someone (probably Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses) got it confused. People then copy that thinking it's the right version.

Not random, but it'll do.

Tradesmen who don't turn up when they say.

I want some landscaping doing, have engaged a local firm, in fact so local i can put his windows through from my bedroom.

A whole week went by after the planned start date, I rang him and he popped round last weekend to tell me he'd been for an op and was advised not to drive for a week, but would certainly start the job a week on Monday (today), could i leave the gates unlocked so he could gain access?

15.15, he calls to say it's been a catastrophe, the lorry delivering the digger was too large to access our road, and he'd pick it up tomorrow on his trailer so he could start work.

A) I've never seen a lorry not be able to get up our road.

B) Even if it was, the house is 300yds from a main arterial route into the city centre, drop it off there and drive the ******* thing round.

C) Pick it up on the trailer, if you're the most law abiding citizen known to man.

D) Tell the truth, a more lucrative short term job came up and you did that instead, but would be here tomorrow.

I'm too nice, and just know this fella is going to try to empty my pockets to the max before i lose my top.

This time last year we bought a 2013 Focus from a main Ford dealer. My wife sorted it all out and when she brought it home I went round to give it the once over.

Was very pleased to notice an unused full size spare alloy wheel in the boot. Anyway, the car went back for a couple of minor things (broken mirror indicator, air con not right) which were duly fixed.

Fast forward to this morning, you know what's coming, took it for an MOT and service to a local guy whose looked after our cars for years where I'm told I need a new tyre on the front.

Use the spare I said only for him to inform me there was only a space saver in the boot. I'm livid. My wife says let it go because we can't prove after all this time we haven't flogged the alloy and replaced it with a space saver.

Ripped off for a brand new 17" alloy and Goodyear tyre and she says let it go. 

15 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

This time last year we bought a 2013 Focus from a main Ford dealer. My wife sorted it all out and when she brought it home I went round to give it the once over.

Was very pleased to notice an unused full size spare alloy wheel in the boot. Anyway, the car went back for a couple of minor things (broken mirror indicator, air con not right) which were duly fixed.

Fast forward to this morning, you know what's coming, took it for an MOT and service to a local guy whose looked after our cars for years where I'm told I need a new tyre on the front.

Use the spare I said only for him to inform me there was only a space saver in the boot. I'm livid. My wife says let it go because we can't prove after all this time we haven't flogged the alloy and replaced it with a space saver.

They're known as stealers for a reason!

I'd kick off, they normally don't like the noise, and are well aware their mechanics take liberties at times.

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

They're known as stealers for a reason!

I'd kick off, they normally don't like the noise, and are well aware their mechanics take liberties at times.

I'm thinking of writing to the previous owner to see if they might be kind enough to confirm the alloy was in there, they would have bought it, they are the only previous owner, then I could have something in writing then I'd feel better about kicking off.

5 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'm thinking of writing to the previous owner to see if they might be kind enough to confirm the alloy was in there, they would have bought it, they are the only previous owner, then I could have something in writing then I'd feel better about kicking off.

I'd be the same in all honesty, probably let it slide for the easy life, while promising I'd sort it, and never give them a penny again.

Sometimes it's not easy being a well mannered English gent!

Sith Happens
10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Not random, but it'll do.

Tradesmen who don't turn up when they say.

I want some landscaping doing, have engaged a local firm, in fact so local i can put his windows through from my bedroom.

A whole week went by after the planned start date, I rang him and he popped round last weekend to tell me he'd been for an op and was advised not to drive for a week, but would certainly start the job a week on Monday (today), could i leave the gates unlocked so he could gain access?

15.15, he calls to say it's been a catastrophe, the lorry delivering the digger was too large to access our road, and he'd pick it up tomorrow on his trailer so he could start work.

A) I've never seen a lorry not be able to get up our road.

B) Even if it was, the house is 300yds from a main arterial route into the city centre, drop it off there and drive the ******* thing round.

C) Pick it up on the trailer, if you're the most law abiding citizen known to man.

D) Tell the truth, a more lucrative short term job came up and you did that instead, but would be here tomorrow.

I'm too nice, and just know this fella is going to try to empty my pockets to the max before i lose my top.

Very typical tale sadly, is an industry that seems to get away with little legislation.

Agree to do a job? Turn up and do it or notifiy in a timely manner.

As you have said you can see whats coming, a knock on the door or a phone call....excuse me boss, we have a bit of a problem......waits of course until half your garden is dug up so you have no option but to agree to pay the extra.

Sith Happens
10 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

Are you saying you suspect its the main dealer who shifted it out when it went back for the minor fixes? Or the local guy?

Well,you don't need Miss Marple to solve the mystery but I would have to say I agree with your Mrs.

Lifes too full of ****,let it go as unpalatable as that is.

Not even any chance of any vengeance later other than taking your business elsewhere.

Sith Happens

While we are the subject of appauling service.

I have a 12 year old Hugo Boss watch, wasnt a fortune but still cost several hundred pounds when it was new.

Always had it serviced and had the battery replaced and reasealed by the retailer we had it from.

So noticed it had stopped so took it in a few weeks ago, was told  X amount for a battery and reseal.Wasnt so worried about a service this time due to age, but asked for it to be cleaned and they said it would have to be serviced to be cleaned, so we said ok, paid our money, told us will be about 6 weeks...all ok.

1 week later get a message left to say watch is ready for collection, wow thats quick we think, off we go to collect. She goes and gets it hands it to us in a fancy bag, all done thanks. So we look at it and we say this hasnt been cleaned. So she goes into the system and says oh sorry they havent serviced it, so we say we wanted it servicing, she says yes you did takes it back off us, says will contact us when its ready.

Fast forward 2 weeks and we get a message saying sorry they couldnt service it as no longer carry the parts for it. Annoyed as we could have been told this the first time we go in to collect it, on arriving she hands it us in a fancy bag and says thankyou very much...expecting us to leave.

So we say erm...if its not been serviced arent we due a refund? Then we look at it and its not working, so we say what about the battery? She goes in and says oh its not their fault as a service includes a battery change and as it couldnt be serviced they didnt change the battery, despite this being the reason we went in the first place.

She says ok leave it with me we will contact them monday to make sure they can do a battery change and reseal if they dont service it.

Come Monday, message left on phone to say, sorry they dont have parts to make the watch work again.

Didnt get the message until last night so have to call them today to say so is it broken or what?

Why cant people just give a decent service? Ok if its broken its broken, not their fault...but why all this messing about?

That would really piss me off mate , pity you didn't notice earlier , might be worth talking to the Ford garage manager  along the lines of ... well just tell him the truth , tug on his better nature , if he's got owt about him he will find a replacement for you , what have you got to lose ? nothing , i'll come with you if you want , mate ..

31 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Are you saying you suspect its the main dealer who shifted it out when it went back for the minor fixes? Or the local guy?

I'm saying it's the main dealer Paul, yesterday was the first time the local chap worked on this car and the carpet/lid over the spare hadn't been lifted since my first inspection. I opened the lid for the new guy to get my spare out and you can imagine my surprise....

9 minutes ago, mozza said:

That would really piss me off mate , pity you didn't notice earlier , might be worth talking to the Ford garage manager  along the lines of ... well just tell him the truth , tug on his better nature , if he's got owt about him he will find a replacement for you , what have you got to lose ? nothing , i'll come with you if you want , mate ..

Cheers Moz, @coneheadjohn got me thinking, I've got to let it go. That's the second car we've bought from them so I might just write and let them know why there won't be a third and leave it at that.

Nobody likes being taken for a mug though do they ?

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'm saying it's the main dealer Paul, yesterday was the first time the local chap worked on this car and the carpet/lid over the spare hadn't been lifted since my first inspection. I opened the lid for the new guy to get my spare out and you can imagine my surprise....

I thought so.

As its a main dealer I would at least be pushing it further, if you havent spoken to the manager ask to speak to him/her and tell him what you have discovered and see what response you get.

If you dont get a satisfactory response ask him/her for details of who you can escalate it to, his/her area manager probably or higher. I would also ask them to check the records and see if they have the full name of the person who carried out the repairs, they will have im sure.

Tell them you intend to take it further, you can ask for the area manager to contact you, or his/her details and contact them yourself.

Just keep asking who you can escalate it to, if the area manager doesnt give a satisfcatory response get their managers name and so on.

You might not get anywhere but my view would be im going to make a bit of a nuisance of myself. 

12 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Cheers Moz, @coneheadjohn got me thinking, I've got to let it go. That's the second car we've bought from them so I might just write and let them know why there won't be a third and leave it at that.

Nobody likes being taken for a mug though do they ?

No they don't mate.

Take your money elsewhere.

Writing to them is probably a good idea.

As @Paul71 says above,do it with zero expectation then anythings a bonus including taking their time up.

Thieving turds.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought so.

As its a main dealer I would at least be pushing it further, if you havent spoken to the manager ask to speak to him/her and tell him what you have discovered and see what response you get.

If you dont get a satisfactory response ask him/her for details of who you can escalate it to, his/her area manager probably or higher. I would also ask them to check the records and see if they have the full name of the person who carried out the repairs, they will have im sure.

Tell them you intend to take it further, you can ask for the area manager to contact you, or his/her details and contact them yourself.

Just keep asking who you can escalate it to, if the area manager doesnt give a satisfcatory response get their managers name and so on.

You might not get anywhere but my view would be im going to make a bit of a nuisance of myself. 

Thanks for getting back Paul, I do want to make the main dealer aware but after reading what coneheadjohn wrote I'm thinking I bet he wishes that's the biggest problem he's got going on. Compared to what John's lad is going through it's **** all. I'll think about what I'll do during the course of the day. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

It may be a case of the same guy has done it to quite a few and either you will be bringing it to their attention that they have a thief working for them or they have already have had the same complaint from other customers and they will just apologies and replace it with minimal fuss.

it might be as innocent as they left it out of the boot and forgot, then found the wheel and didn't know who's it was.

My mate bought shoes for his wedding, took the box home, didn't open it until a week before the wedding, which was about 2 months after buying them, and when he went to show his (soon to be) wife, there was only 1 shoe in the box. 

He went back to the shop raging, and as soon as the shop worker saw him, she smiled and said "we've been waiting for you to come back" before he even opened his mouth. They'd kept his other shoe aside for him.